• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tube Amp Choices

soundhound said:
Didn't you go with DC power on the output tube filaments with a switching supply?
I did but that was just a tryout on my center channel SET amp. That amp was not well thought out from the beginning. I took a stereo amp design and turned it into monoblock but with my knowledge at the time didn't allow it to become a good amp. It too have been salvaged to build a mono Tubelab SE for my center channel. That switching supply ($7 on ebay) is just collecting dust now.

Zing said:
I found another contender. :happy-smileygiantred:

The $14K Ayon Thor. :angry-banghead:
Well, Zing, these SET tube amps have become niche products these days. It either costs a lot or one will have to resort to DIY route. If you don't want to deal with neither, there are small exceptions though. Check these out.

soundhound said:
If there's no audible or measurable difference between the two amps, I'd be glad to eat my words.
Wait a minute, now that I think about your statement, something doesn't seem right for couple reasons. :snooty:
1. Shouldn't we be only focusing on the audible aspects? I wouldn't mind seeing spectrum analysis just to fill my curiosity though.
2. Shouldn't it be, if mine sounds identical to yours or you end up liking mine better in a blind comparison? :think:

DIYer said:
soundhound said:
If there's no audible or measurable difference between the two amps, I'd be glad to eat my words.
Wait a minute, now that I think about your statement, something doesn't seem right for couple reasons. :snooty:
1. Shouldn't we be only focusing on the audible aspects? I wouldn't mind seeing spectrum analysis just to fill my curiosity though.
2. Shouldn't it be, if mine sounds identical to yours or you end up liking mine better in a blind comparison? :think:

Actually, unless your SET has volume controls on its input, we couldn't do a comparison at all; I don't have volume adjustments on my crossover so I rely on control in the amplifier.

At any rate, I do like to perform measurements because while two components may sound identical with the music we play through them, even in a blind comparison, a spectral measurement can sometimes predict music types which will sound less than great, or at least make the two amps sound different. Measurements are just an extension of what I would be hearing, and sometimes point out things that my ears might not immediately pick up, but which would be audible if I know their presence.

soundhound said:
Actually, unless your SET has volume controls on its input, we couldn't do a comparison at all
Mine has them, one per each channel. Next is to see if this trip even becomes a reality... :eusa-whistle:

DIYer said:
soundhound said:
Actually, unless your SET has volume controls on its input, we couldn't do a comparison at all
Mine has them, one per each channel. Next is to see if this trip even becomes a reality... :eusa-whistle:

Just be aware that we won't be able to have anything resembling a quick swap since the LF/HF balance between the two amps has to be matched, which means RTA curves being taken etc. About a half an hour process.

DIYer said:
:text-bump:

Zing, did you see this? "But now I've gotta work harder at selling off some of my other various electronic stuff that I don't use"
http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/view ... =23&t=2075
Yes. Isn't that the thread where Paul said he hates us all? I hope you're not insinuating that I give my hard-earned money to someone who hates me. Besides, I currently have no use for a tube amp. But when I do, I'll buy an MC275 just to make Soundhound jealous. I know how much he loves those amps. :teasing-tease:

Zing said:
DIYer said:
:text-bump:

Zing, did you see this? "But now I've gotta work harder at selling off some of my other various electronic stuff that I don't use"
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2075
Yes. Isn't that the thread where Paul said he hates us all? I hope you're not insinuating that I give my hard-earned money to someone who hates me. Besides, I currently have no use for a tube amp. But when I do, I'll buy an MC275 just to make Soundhound jealous. I know how much he loves those amps. :teasing-tease:

While I like the looks and build quality of McIntosh tube amps, I don't like their sound quality at all.

Back