• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

TV Guide Discontinuing for OTA

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
As most know, I only have OTA for my programing. On my Sony Brava TV Guide there is a message " Rovi is discontinuing guides in North America Nov 1, 2012 thru April 2013....no more data carried "
So anyday now, I will no longer have a tv guide, my monitor isn't internet ready. Its only 4 yrs old. Sony doesn't have any firware update, called tech support...he said, sorry... :text-imsorry: Sure was nice. So if anyone just has OTA & has a tv guide on your set...get ready for no more data for the guide if your monitor isn't a smart tv (able to connect to the web).
Maybe next year the boss will alow me to get a new "smart tv".....for the family room. I don't even use a smart cell phone.

Re: TV Guide Discontinuing

Doesn't your local newspaper carry TV listings? I'm assuming you still get the newspaper as you're a luddite like me.
raaar.gif

Botch said:
Doesn't your local newspaper carry TV listings? I'm assuming you still get the newspaper as you're a luddite like me.
raaar.gif

The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who violently protested against the machinery introduced during the Industrial Revolution that made it possible to replace them with less-skilled, low-wage labourers, leaving them without work.

heeman said:
Botch said:
raaar.gif

The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who violently protested against the machinery introduced during the Industrial Revolution that made it possible to replace them with less-skilled, low-wage labourers, leaving them without work.
And now a term used to refer to anyone that refuses to adopt new tech or very slow to do so.

mzpro5 said:
heeman said:
Botch said:
raaar.gif

And now a term used to refer to anyone that refuses to adopt new tech or very slow to do so.

Does this apply to someone that has yet to use Redbox? :laughing-rolling:

Barney - just call your neighbor and ask them what's on.

Flint said:
Barney - just call your neighbor and ask them what's on.

(.........answers the phone, to find it's Barney)

What? Just Google 'TV listings' you lazy bastard! :teasing-tease:

What about Roku Barn? Can something like that or the Revue (you have the Logitech Revue don't you?) let you to see what's on TV?

What do you need a TV guide for? With only OTA you only have like what 5 channels? :angelic-green:

If it werent for thursday and monday football I would go OTA as well. Shit with Netflix and an antenna there isnt a need for pay tv ....... EXCEPT for the damn NFL. LOL!

Barney your local newspaper or newspaper website thats what I use.

I dropped the KC Star after subscribing for over 30 years when McClachey News bought the paper it was getting bad under Hearst but this was pitiful but I do use there TV listing on line and read sports there and an occasional article but that will end as its gonna go subscriber their to.

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the local paper. I don't have a laptop computer either.
Deacon, right now I get around 12-15 digital channels...most HD (4 PBS's etc). I learned along time ago to never say never but I don't see any reason to pay my only program provider in my county (Time Warner) for tv programing. I have a Logitech Revue (google tv) & XBOX360 w/xbox gold, Netflix account (apps on google tv & xbox), & also have Amazon Premire account (we use Netflix almost 99.9% for streaming & have 2 disc account-blue rays).
Seems that this Rovi discontinuing sending data for guides is effecting other providers (not just Sony) for OTA guides...the new DISH STB is having issues with the guide for OTA etc.
I still have the guide (so far-knock on wood) but the description of what the program is not there...like on FOX..it has NFL Football but now doesn't have the info---who's playing & info about each team.
Yesfan, yes the revue does have google chrome & is connected by wifi (my internet speed is in the lower 20's mbs for downloads)....but it sure is nice when watching programing by OTA & can push the guide button on the Sony remote to see the guide & if two games are on & can set it up to joggle between the games.
If I have to, I'll get the guide up on google chrome (on my revue) & switch inputs on the Sony.

Barney said:
Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the local paper. I don't have a laptop computer either.

Then look it up on your computer, print it out and have it available at hand.

Of course that is assuming you have a printer. :teasing-neener:

mzpro5 said:
Barney said:

Keep me supplied in paper & ink for my Canon multi-purpose wifi printer...and go to the printer in the other side of the house & bring me the print-out.....you old fart :teasing-neener:

Barney said:
mzpro5 said:
Barney said:

Keep me supplied in paper & ink for my Canon multi-purpose wifi printer...and go to the printer in the other side of the house & bring me the print-out.....you old fart :teasing-neener:
I will gladly send you the five bucks for a ream of paper and you can copy it down using a pencil.

That is assuming you really want a solution and not just want to bitch about the loss of the guide. It is cool if you just want to bitch, just looking for some clarification.

This site streams live sports (you have to intall their programing & deal with pop-ups)...but I will be checking this out soon.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/

Covers just about any sport...except for licking the "wet spot" :scared-eek:

Barney said:
I learned along time ago to never say never but I don't see any reason to pay my only program provider in my county (Time Warner) for tv programing.

Satellite not an option?

CMonster said:
Barney said:
I learned along time ago to never say never but I don't see any reason to pay my only program provider in my county (Time Warner) for tv programing.

Satellite not an option?
Chuck, again just my $0.02, DSS services to me are overpriced rip-offs just like cable etc. As you can see, alot of folks would drop pay programming & just have OTA (Yesfan, Walls, etc).
The point of this thread....sorry, I'm getting old......but there has been a change to the broadcast feeds (that also carry data for guides etc) and it is effecting TV Guides for those of us that use the guide on the OTA feed. I just wanted to let folks know about Rovi is discontinuing data in North America for guides & you may notice a lack of info or even the total guide.
Of course there are ways around not having a guide.............what if customers lost the guides in their DVR's.......pray the CE's that make your DVR's don't use Rovi.....no firmware update to correct, you have to replace your DVR....

So this Rovi discontinuing there service in what way is this Sony's fault?

It sucks but its hard to hold Sony at fault your gripe is to Rovi.

Would a tuner in a DVD player that is internet ready solve this? I don't know just throwing it out there.

Also this may have hit Sony by surprise to and there looking for a alternate solution.

Back