• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

TV Guide Discontinuing for OTA

Re: TV Guide Discontinuing

Srvy said:
So this Rovi discontinuing there service in what way is this Sony's fault?

It sucks but its hard to hold Sony at fault your gripe is to Rovi.

Would a tuner in a DVD player that is internet ready solve this? I don't know just throwing it out there.

Also this may have hit Sony by surprise to and there looking for a alternate solution.
I found this on the interwebs about the relation between Rovi and Sony.

"Rovi has just announced that they are stopping the TV Guide OnScreen service as of April 13th, 2013. This was announced via the service itself. This is an on-air listing service that provides listings over the air, as part of an OTA TV signal. Many devices, notably the Sony HDD 250 and 500 Digital Video Recorders, will no longer function without the clock-set data this stream provides. When other companies decide to stop supporting something, they don't make older systems useless. Worse, Sony never came out with another DVR in the U.S. market. Why do we have to rent them? How do we get Sony or Rovi to provide at least a software patch to set the clock so the DVR can at least retain 1980s VCR functionality? Sony admits there is no fix. A thread on AVS forums has a bunch of information on TV Guide OnScreen. The TV stations who broadcast the data have been ordered by Rovi to disconnect the data inserters and ship them back. I have a TiVo, and yes, I know all about HTPC, but this data stream was 'lifetime listings' like TiVo has 'lifetime listings' — now that Rovi is looking to cut service, my two DVR units are about to become useless."

mzpro5 said:
Srvy said:
So this Rovi discontinuing there service in what way is this Sony's fault?

It sucks but its hard to hold Sony at fault your gripe is to Rovi.

Would a tuner in a DVD player that is internet ready solve this? I don't know just throwing it out there.

Also this may have hit Sony by surprise to and there looking for a alternate solution.
I found this on the interwebs about the relation between Rovi and Sony.

"Rovi has just announced that they are stopping the TV Guide OnScreen service as of April 13th, 2013. This was announced via the service itself. This is an on-air listing service that provides listings over the air, as part of an OTA TV signal. Many devices, notably the Sony HDD 250 and 500 Digital Video Recorders, will no longer function without the clock-set data this stream provides. When other companies decide to stop supporting something, they don't make older systems useless. Worse, Sony never came out with another DVR in the U.S. market. Why do we have to rent them? How do we get Sony or Rovi to provide at least a software patch to set the clock so the DVR can at least retain 1980s VCR functionality? Sony admits there is no fix. A thread on AVS forums has a bunch of information on TV Guide OnScreen. The TV stations who broadcast the data have been ordered by Rovi to disconnect the data inserters and ship them back. I have a TiVo, and yes, I know all about HTPC, but this data stream was 'lifetime listings' like TiVo has 'lifetime listings' — now that Rovi is looking to cut service, my two DVR units are about to become useless."

Good find there my friend. I couldn't find any info about this on Rovi's site. I've also sent a question to my local ABC broadcaster to see if they know anything about this (they should..the data is carried with the broadcasts). I pray everyone with DVR's aren't effected. I can work around without a guide but DVR's don't work...that would be bad. Seems everything will be needed to be connected to the internet from now on.

Just got an email from my local ABC station (also ownedby ABC). Here it is:

Dear Jerry,

Thank you so much for your email in this regard.

At this point, we are uncertain as to what company will fill this requirement for all stations. We were just recently notified by ROVI that they are discontinuing the service, so we are still in a position of discovery ourselves.

Sincerely,

Patti C. Smith

Patti C. Smith | President and General Manager | KVUE TV and KVUE.com

So my friends....Rovi has pulled the plug on North America......no one seems to know what is going to replace it.....I pray everyones DVR's don't become bricks....

Barney said:
I pray everyone with DVR's aren't effected. I can work around without a guide but DVR's don't work...that would be bad.

That's a little over-dramatic, don't you think? It's just TV. Life will go on; trust me. :teasing-tease:

Of course I'll probably be getting my first DVR here within the next month so maybe I'll be changing my tune once I actually have one...

Chuck, some beta testers on the new DISH STB had reported issues with....you got it, guide & data. How is DSS & cable providers sending that info ?

Barney said:
Just got an email from my local ABC station (also ownedby ABC). Here it is:

Dear Jerry,

Thank you so much for your email in this regard.

At this point, we are uncertain as to what company will fill this requirement for all stations. We were just recently notified by ROVI that they are discontinuing the service, so we are still in a position of discovery ourselves.

Sincerely,

Patti C. Smith

Patti C. Smith | President and General Manager | KVUE TV and KVUE.com

So my friends....Rovi has pulled the plug on North America......no one seems to know what is going to replace it.....I pray everyones DVR's don't become bricks....
You are making a very big assumption - that everyone and all service providers are using Rovi for this data. I don't think that is the case. I am certainly not concerned about my DTV DVR.

Mz, as I stated, I pray everyones DVR's don't become bricks. I would think that Cable/DSS providers use a different system to "piggie-back" the data for each providers DVR's/STB's
I'm not blaming Sony for the issue, although Sony has no plans (as of yet) to develop a patch/firmware (maybe they can't until they figure out what service is to be used to replace the Rovi service/gear).
I just read a post about a "person" that just checked his Sony DHG 250 HD DVR...its now just a tuner....he doesn't seem real happy....he lives in Oklahoma.
This service seems to only effect folks that use OTA .

"So if anyone just has OTA & has a tv guide on your set...get ready for no more data for the guide if your monitor isn't a smart tv (able to connect to the web)."
This is what I had stated in my 1st post....pull your skirt back down....jezz :teasing-tease:

Barney said:
Mz, as I stated, I pray everyones DVR's don't become bricks. I would think that Cable/DSS providers use a different system to "piggie-back" the data for each providers DVR's/STB's...........

I think that too, but you know I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened to Dish/Direc/cable customers.

I don't have OTA, but have pondered going that route and dumping Dish after football season. Honestly, I really wished all services would just charge you by the channel instead of making upgrade to a higher priced tier to get a couple more of your favorite channels. I can remember some of the channels I like being part of the basic tier package. Now, you have to get a higher priced package for some of those channels.

And those companies are still selling HD channels as an option. In this day and age, there should be no standard definition. HD should be the standard, not the option. I remember posting that years ago on S&V.

Okay, sorry for my re-action to no longer having a TV Guide on my 4 yr old Sony Brava. I now understand why this is happening (I'm an old fart). I now know that the guide/harware is analog. The plug has been pulled on analog data (clock etc) to be carried on broadcasting from your local stations (they had to pay to have the ROVI inserters/service). I now know that programming providers (Cable, DSS, AT&T, Verizon, TiVo etc) use ROVI's tv guides but they are digital so their DVR's, STBs, etc can decode the clock/data. Life goes on & since I only use OTA & want a guide on my TV, I have to replace my set with a "smart tv" and folks that have for example DVR's from Sony , Pioneer Kuro's, etc that have a TV Guide...they will no longer work. No firmware update can take care of the issue.....its hardware. Kinda like wanting a DVD player to be able to play a BluRay disc.....not going to happen.
Now I guess the next analog plug to be pulled is radio. So when i get a new receiver and want a tuner....it will need to be a HD Radio. Radio stations will have to invest (sure they already are) in new towers etc.

Sorry for the alarm. This analog guide being discontinued will be through by April 2013. We have been notified (almost like) we were when analog tv's plug was going to be pulled.
But this plug being pulled was a shock to consumers, manufactures & broadcasters (according to the General manager of my local ABC station & Sony etc).

Also because the analog inserters/service by ROVI have or will be gone...might be the reason the OTA module is delayed for the DISH Hopper...Batman may know more about this.

Well, I have a tv guide link on our Kindle Fire w/just broadcast line-up. Works wonderful. So I'm good now.
Now that my sons phone is rooted (haven't installed a ROM yet) I have taken over the Kindle now....

Barney said:
Well, I have a tv guide link on our Kindle Fire w/just broadcast line-up. Works wonderful. So I'm good now.
Now that my sons phone is rooted (haven't installed a ROM yet) I have taken over the Kindle now....

Had we known a Kindle Fire was in the equation I think many of us would have suggested it in the beginning.

Barney said:

Beat around the bush much Barn? :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

I got used to the guide on the TV...could jump from game to game with one button push............guess since I'm getting old, I need the excerice....have to push/touch extra shit now......but when i was young like most everyone here, you had to get up, walk to the TV & turn knob to adjust volumn, turn knob to change channels (all 4 of 'em) & sometimes turn a ring behind the station knob to adjust signal on the VHF or UHF channel. We also used alot of alum foil on the rabbit ears. Life was good back then....great pay was $4.00 hr & gas was under a buck. I remember 17.9 cents a gallon.....I had a 1964 Olds Cutlass then.

Back