• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Two sources into one subwoofer?

nelmr

Hi everyone, it's been a while.

I'm thinking about doing the following but wanted to make sure this won't cause any problems. Hopefully this isn't like using a y-splitter in reverse, but I want to make sure it indeed is not the same.

I have my PC and HT in the same room. My PC has it's own 2.0 sound system (Audio Engine A2 speakers). I was thinking about running another connection to my HSU subwoofer (say audio in right) from my PC, and run my HT Receiver to the audio in left.

Are there any potential issues with doing this (aside from calibration perhaps)? Theoretically, even if I play music, tv, or movie with the HT Receiver and have a game playing on the PC, wouldn't the sub-woofer just be reproducing these sounds simultaneously? Please note, I don't really think this scenario would happen much if at all. Either I would be playing a game or I would be watching a movie.

As you described connecting things, that should work. Don't use a y-splitter as a combiner as that will damage the sources.

Works great except if I have both my PC and Receiver plugged into the sub it hums. If I unplug the Receiver it doesn't. Is this a ground loop problem? If so how do I solve it?

Almost definitely ground loop; you can get an inexpensive ground isolator from radio shack, should eliminate that, and I wouldn't expect it to have any detrimental effect on an LF signal.

Back