• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ultraviolet - Heaven on Earth? or just another gimmick?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/six- ... -mid-year/

Ultraviolet appears to be the solution to all that ailes us. Assuming all the potential video products you own are ultraviolet compatible, any movie you purchase via any means will be playable via any of those devices going forward. This means no more double dipping.

Assuming this works, I could buy a Blu Ray disc of Hannah Montana in 3D and watch it at home and in my laptop from the disc. But then I could watch it on the airplane's PPV system as well without paying. Then it could stream to my Android MID without paying, and I could watch it again in my hotel room - with out ever paying again. I cannot wait to see Miley Cyrus in all her glory over and over and over and over again!

Hannah Montana :drool:

Yeah, lets see if they can all play nice and the consumer may win one?

D

I've been following this. Of course Apple isn't playing...

Hanna Montana!!! I frigging knew it! Everything I pondered about you Flint is finally being confirmed. So tell me Iggy how's that new Justin Beiber album?

Seriously I've heard of ultraviolet but haven't done much research.

How does the airline (or any other third party) get compensated for their bandwidth to stream the disc (or whatever their role is to deliver)? Do the content creators pay for that on a per transaction basis?

The concept is great for consumers. Its the execution that will kill it if the delivery channels aren't there.

Doghart said:
Hannah Montana :drool:

Yeah, lets see if they can all play nice and the consumer may win one?

D

Now, that would be a pipe-dream come true. All the hands involved in entertainment, except Disney and Sn-apple, relinquishing that big brass ring so consumers would save a buck. Some how it just doesn't seem possible. We'll see.

Rope

MatthewB said:
Hanna Montana!!! I frigging knew it! Everything I pondered about you Flint is finally being confirmed. So tell me Iggy how's that new Justin Beiber album?

Who do you think would win in a fight? Miley Cyrus or Demi Lovato?

Oh... and the new Justin Beiber album isn't nearly as good as Mitchel Musso's latest CD. (Yes, even second-rate characters from Hannah Montana get to put out CDs thanks to the Disney Machine!)

I don't know anything about Ultraviolet yet, so I'll have to wait and reserve judgement to see how it works in practice. A fear of mine, I think, would be whether or not they automatically allowed access of the content on up to (was it 6 devices?) for no additional fee, or if they would somehow figure out a way to start nickle-and-diming us.

If it sounds too good to be true, then more than likely it is. I'm sure with Ultraviolet, you're still going to pay one way or the other as opposed to just ripping the media you bought to a device you want to play it on.

Perhaps this is a method of raising the price of the intial media, or having the option of purchasing the intial media that costs 40% more, but can be played any where, any time?

Rope

I don't know, it's kinda like those "3 disc" Bluray sets where you get a DVD version and a digital copy version along with the Bluray disc, which I've always had mixed feelings about. Those sets would be cheaper if you just paid for the Bluray. Before getting my PS3, I liked the idea of those sets as I could have a decent Bluray collection built by the time I got a player. But now that I have the PS3, those 3 disc sets are a waste of money as I don't need or want them.

This Ultraviolet thing seems to be the same way. Why can't the studios just grant us the ability to rip 'our' media to our preferred devices? If I can find a way online to rip my media to my devices, either legally or illegally, for my own personal needs (not making money for myself), then why should I waste my time with Ultraviolet and possibly maybe having to pay for a subscription to use it?

Yesfan70 said:
I don't know, it's kinda like those "3 disc" Bluray sets where you get a DVD version and a digital copy version along with the Bluray disc, which I've always had mixed feelings about. Those sets would be cheaper if you just paid for the Bluray. Before getting my PS3, I liked the idea of those sets as I could have a decent Bluray collection built by the time I got a player. But now that I have the PS3, those 3 disc sets are a waste of money as I don't need or want them.

This Ultraviolet thing seems to be the same way. Why can't the studios just grant us the ability to rip 'our' media to our preferred devices? If I can find a way online to rip my media to my devices, either legally or illegally, for my own personal needs (not making money for myself), then why should I waste my time with Ultraviolet and possibly maybe having to pay for a subscription to use it?

That would be the ideal, but everyone is not like you. In American society, they don't apprehend the violators and punish them; they make everyone pay the price for the dishonest few.

Hell, I once ordered a DVD, they sent me a bonus Blu-ray disc. Course the DVD was $35.00. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

http://www.twice.com/article/462080-CES ... _Over_.php

By Greg Tarr, TWICE, 1/7/2011

CES 2011: UltraViolet called digital delivery do-over

LAS VEGAS - A multi-industry coalition including Hollywood studios, electronics manufacturers, retailers and video providers, formally unveiled at International CES this week a virtual content locker designed to simplify and consolidate the purchase of video content for playback across multiple devices.

The proposed system, called UltraViolet, is expected to launch this summer and will enable the purchase of movies and TV shows as a download for use on up to 12 devices at any one time, and to be shared with up to six relatives or friends.

Consumers will be required to register Ultraviolet titles they have purchased to make use of the sharing provisions. Registered titles will be playable on up to 12 UltraViolet-enabled devices at one time, and old devices can be removed as new ones are added for future playability.

An Ultraviolet logo will be placed on compatible hardware devices and content listings on retailer's ecommerce systems and even on DVD and Blu-ray packaging - signifying that the purchaser of the disc also has the right to access a digital version of the title in a vertical content locker administered through an UltraViolet Account system infrastructure, which was developed by Neustar.

The coalition, called the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), developed the Ultraviolet platform after seeing shrinking home video sales and revenue in recent years.

Consumer feedback indicated that people are buying less movies and TV shows because they are frustrated with and confused by their inability to use that content flexibly across various devices and device brands. Studios hope that a more flexible solution will both spark renewed demand, and reduce piracy.

Speaking at a DECE press conference here Thursday, Mitch Singer, Sony Pictures chief technology officer and DECE president, called Ultraviolet the result of a collective industry "do-over" on digital distribution.

"Many industries that have rolled out in the past where there has been a proprietary vertical platform have done do-overs," he said, citing everything from ATM cards to text messaging systems. "Let's figure out what the consumer experience should look like if we had it to do all over again."

Studios involved in the venture include: Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Pictures.

Walt Disney Studios, which is working on a separate and similar system called KeyChest, is not part of the group.

Data released Thursday by industry trade organization Digital Entertainment Group showed that total revenue from DVD, high-definition Blu-ray discs and digital sales and rentals declined 3 percent in the United States to $18.8 billion in 2010.

Combined sales and rentals of Blu-ray discs, which were up 53 percent in 2010, and digital downloads and streaming, which grew 19 percent, were not enough to overcome the 11 percent decline in DVD revenue to $14 billion, the DEG said.

At the same time, less profitable rental revenue grew 2 percent to $7.8 billion as sales dropped 7 percent to $11 billion.

Although few devices are expected to be Ultraviolet-ready when the system launches this summer, DECE members expect products including smartphones, video game consoles, tablets and computers to be upgraded to support the platform in firmware and software downloads, before devices integrating the capability are readily available next year.

The DECE lists 46 other members, mostly from the technology side of the industry. These include: retailer Best Buy, cable operator Comcast, hardware manufacturers Samsung, Sony and Toshiba.

Noticeably absent from the list is Apple, which is a major shareholder of Disney, the proponent of the rival KeyChest platform.

The DECE announced this week an evaluation suite of technical specifications and a licensing program that will allow companies to use the technical specifications, interact with the UltraViolet Account infrastructure via a suite of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and use the UltraViolet logo for promotion and marketing of UltraViolet content and devices.

:text-bump:

Another article in Home Theater about Ultraviolet this month. Its up and running. You can register free here: http://www.uvvu.com Apparently the hardware device(s) must be UV-enabled, so I don't know if that means it won't work with my current Oppo, computers, etc. One promise I thought I'd read before was that purchase of a UV title gave you access to any future formats, but the HT article now says "With some DVDs, you will also have the option of paying an additional fee to upgrade to high-def". And so it starts... :|

Today's my off-Friday and its cold and wet outside, so I'm gonna register and play around with it, I know I've seen the UV sticker on at least one bluray I've purchased recently. Stay tuned...

:angry-tappingfoot:

Well, that was quick. After giving them my name, an email address, and my age, I clicked on the "Devices" button and saw "Coming Soon: one-button click to add your devices!" I could see no other way to add anything. Harumph!

I registerd one movie on Ultra "A Dolphins Tale" and it was so much work that it soured me on on the whole affair. I like it better when i can just rip the digital copy to my portable hard drive and one button click instead of relaying on unstable internet feeds when on the go.

Just got my first Ultaviolet movie (M:I Ghost Protocol).
Sooo....Can I DL my digital copy so I can play it on my iPad
AND get the Ultraviolet Cloud version?
Or do I have to just choose one?

The DirtMerchant said:
But that link Towen gave says that Apple & Disney aren't part of this:
"Noticeably absent from the list is Apple, which is a major shareholder of Disney, the proponent of the rival KeyChest platform."

Barney said:
The DirtMerchant said:
But that link Towen gave says that Apple & Disney aren't part of this:
"Noticeably absent from the list is Apple, which is a major shareholder of Disney, the proponent of the rival KeyChest platform."

Apple doesn't partake of the Ultraviolet "Cloud" portion, but "good old" digital copy is still a pick-your-poison type.

Back