• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Under the banner of heaven

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
so, anyone got this one yet?

im curious as to your thoughts. dont want to board this train if it aint goin nowhere.

From Wikipedia:
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith is a nonfiction book by author Jon Krakauer, first published in July 2003. He investigated and juxtaposed two histories: the origin and evolution of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and a modern double murder committed in the name of God by brothers Ron and Dan Lafferty, who subscribed to a fundamentalist version of Mormonism.

The Laffertys were formerly members of a very small splinter group called the School of Prophets, led by Robert C. Crossfield (also known by his prophet name Onias). The group accepts many beliefs of the original LDS church at the time when it ceased the practice of polygamy in the 1890s, but it does not identify with those who call themselves fundamentalist Mormons. The book examines the ideologies of both the LDS Church and the fundamentalist Mormon polygamous groups, such as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS Church).

The book was adapted as a limited series of the same name that began airing in April 2022 on FX on Hulu.

From Wikipedia:
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith is a nonfiction book by author Jon Krakauer, first published in July 2003. He investigated and juxtaposed two histories: the origin and evolution of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and a modern double murder committed in the name of God by brothers Ron and Dan Lafferty, who subscribed to a fundamentalist version of Mormonism.

The Laffertys were formerly members of a very small splinter group called the School of Prophets, led by Robert C. Crossfield (also known by his prophet name Onias). The group accepts many beliefs of the original LDS church at the time when it ceased the practice of polygamy in the 1890s, but it does not identify with those who call themselves fundamentalist Mormons. The book examines the ideologies of both the LDS Church and the fundamentalist Mormon polygamous groups, such as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS Church).

The book was adapted as a limited series of the same name that began airing in April 2022 on FX on Hulu.
Thanks I ws not aware of the truth behind the series

first episode is a great start, but very deep, you need to carefully pay attention to this.

made me interested about LDS. we have a couple of christian/catholic based faiths in the philippines, so this is also a great discovery.

Just remember that while the book and limited steaming series were based on real events, and many of the facts about the murders and such were well documented, more than 90% of what you saw on the screen was fiction. The story is the result of a very good writer filling in all the blanks and making the story supremely interesting.

Just remember that while the book and limited steaming series were based on real events, and many of the facts about the murders and such were well documented, more than 90% of what you saw on the screen was fiction. The story is the result of a very good writer filling in all the blanks and making the story supremely interesting.
thanks for the reminder, i take most of these movies/tv series as stories, nothing more. if i wanted some sort of truth or historical truth id watch a documentary. but even then its also to be taken with a grain of salt. good to see your back IG.

thanks for the reminder, i take most of these movies/tv series as stories, nothing more. if i wanted some sort of truth or historical truth id watch a documentary. but even then its also to be taken with a grain of salt. good to see your back IG.

Because I am old enough and done enough things in my life which are now being made into documentaries, I have discovered that ALL documentaries are just as wrong as fiction stories.

Because I am old enough and done enough things in my life which are now being made into documentaries, I have discovered that ALL documentaries are just as wrong as fiction stories.
ALL? Not just SOME? BOLD!!!

ALL? Not just SOME? BOLD!!!

I am sure there are exceptions - but based on my experience and those of others who tell similar tales, I assume they are absolute lies until proven otherwise. It is shocking how wrong they are, sometimes to the point that hiring a writer who has a mere overview experience with the topic would be just as accurate. So, yes, I am at this point so angry about it that I don't watch any of them. Books tend to be better, but only when everyone involved is dead or past caring at all what gets written.
By this I mean documentaries attempting to tell the story of real events that took place in the past, not documentaries about science or how something is done, like factory videos.

thats why i said what i said, that at one point or another, most of these docuseries/documentaries arent 100% accurate. nothing is unless you read and learn for yourself.

so, where or who do you believe to be a good source of the truth? history teachers? books? even those can be compromised, and/or are in a way can be swayed to be interpreted in one way or another.

so, where or who do you believe to be a good source of the truth? history teachers? books? even those can be compromised, and/or are in a way can be swayed to be interpreted in one way or another.

It depends on the content, date, number of agreeing witnesses or sources, and so on. General facts which hundreds or thousands of people can confirm are easier to believe. Stories about something where only two or three people can serve as witness, however, I start with doubt. So, I believe we dropped two nuclear bombs on cities in Japan to end WWII, but I doubt the stories of Truman and his advisors discussing the decision.

Back