• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Unexplained loud sound from HT system

hummerdude

Hey guys,

I would appreciate suggestions on how to troubleshoot my system. Tonight I had loud "electrical" distortion from my system. We were watching TV at normal to low volume when loud thunderous, tree splitting sounds came from nowhere. I could continue to hear the television audio after the sound. The sounds were short bursts lasting only a few seconds about 1 minute apart. I turned off the Onkyo 875 and Parasound Amps and nothing appeared blown. I couldn't tell which direction the sound was coming from. I have SVS-MTS 5.1 speakers with PB-13 sub. I will check connections tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I should do to solve this problem? Should I first take the Onkyo to the shop to have it tested? My system is about 5 years old with no problems like this before.

hummerdude

That sucks. Sounds like errors in the digital audio stream - you were watching live tv at the time? Does it do anything like that with audio/video discs, or other audio sources? Maybe try playing something else at low volume to see if it's a problem with the onkyo, or the tv's audio output.

Yes, watching live TV. The sound was so loud that I am concerned that it may have blown a speaker or could blow a speaker. It was so loud we thought a tree may have fallen outside. Maybe I will try different sources with headphones.

Yeah. Could also turn the gain down on the outboard amps, just to make sure you're not overwhelmed while you're testing.

Considering the issues with that generation of Onkyo gear my suspicions would start there.

I had a similar experience. LOUD NOISE over HT without explanation. I too looked outside and thought tree, but I saw a guy in a car with a large CB antenna on the top. He was keying up the mike over and over and it was coming through my speakers.

Another time, he pulled up talking on the CB, it was loud as hell in my house. Scared the shit out of me, and all that. I politely went outside and told him whatever amplifier he was using was illegal, but I don't care about that, if he'll kindly refrain from using it on my street. He actually apologized and never did it again.

So, it could possibly be someone in the neighborhood with a CB or other radio on steroids. :think:

Dennie

hummerdude said:
Yes, watching live TV. The sound was so loud that I am concerned that it may have blown a speaker or could blow a speaker. It was so loud we thought a tree may have fallen outside. Maybe I will try different sources with headphones.

I don't know that I would do that. I'd rather blow a tweeter/speaker than a eardrum! :confusion-seeingstars:

Just sayin'...
yes.gif

Dennie :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Dennie that's interesting or should I say, "10-4 Good Buddy". :happy-smileygiantred:

Dennie, I must have had a similar thing happen to me. Illegal CB or other outside interference. Today, everything seems to be working fine. What a relief.

hummerdude

hummerdude said:
Dennie, I must have had a similar thing happen to me. Illegal CB or other outside interference. Today, everything seems to be working fine. What a relief.

hummerdude

Cool! I'm glad it wasn't an expensive piece of gear! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Unfortunately, the sounds continued with my Onkyo. I just replaced it with a new Yamaha RX-V525 Receiver. So far it seems to be doing a great job.

hummerdude

That sucks. But cool to have a new toy.

When I eventually replace my Onkyo, I will definitely be considering Yamaha. Back to Onkyo, it's sad that I don't trust it enough to give it away to friends/relatives without fear of the DTS bomb destroying someone's speakers. I dunno. I did a firmware update that I think came from Onkyo UK years ago. But I've never bit streamed to test it. The receiver has been decent for me, but it does exhibit at least one big glitch (a delay that cuts off the start of audio playback).

Glad you seem to have gotten it straightened out!! We missed you at the GTG. Next time...

John

Back