• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Upgrading to the Hopper............

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Just got offliine with a Dish rep. I originally got on there to see why I wasn't getting the SEC Network, so after I got that took care of, I asked again about upgrading to the Hopper.

You see, the last time I asked, it was going to cost me around $200 extra while the new comers get it for free and also get a freaking iPad for just coming on board. I thought (and still do) that was bullshit since I had been a customer for about 7 years at that time. Well, I asked again and pointed out that after being with Dish for 10 years it "sure would be nice to see some of the loyal customers get the perks that the new customers seem to be getting". Well, all I'm going to have to pay extra is about $15 added to my bill. For that extra $15 bucks I'm......

1) upgrading from two HD/DVR 722 receivers to the Dish Hopper
2) Having HD available to the bedroom TV
3) free premium channels for the next three months
4) I'll be able to archive my current DVR content to the new receivers.
5) not having to pay the equipment/service fees since I'm still currently a customer and not a new one.

Should have it around Labor Day. The only downer is the 2 year commitment for upgrading to the Hopper. I'm not worried about it. I've had Dish for 10 years, so what's two more?

Yesfan, when I realized I had no OTA coverage earlier this year I studied the options and went with Dish/Hopper, also. Oddly, they gave me all the same options (except #2, I don't have a second TV) but got it all free based on my credit score. That was weird, but I'll take it. I'm loving it so far.
The only thing I miss from Comcast was the ability to call up the current TV schedule (programmed with just my "Favorites"), and click on the channel on my laptop, and having the channel change; with Dish I still have to pick up the remote, hit "Guide", and scroll to find something to watch (ah, First World problems...) No doubt they'll have that capability eventually, too.
I'm getting my 'net access via a small company with another dish on my roof (a couple of my neighbors think I work for the NSA). For now, will keep the two, my total bill is just over $100. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Yesfan70 said:
4) I'll be able to archive my current DVR content to the new receivers.

Now THAT is cool and I wish Uverse had that ability.

Be careful what you wish for Yesfan! We switched from Directv to Dish at the first of the year, long story and not my choice, and couldn't be unhappier. Still have problems with the boy deleting shows, even after making folders and "protecting" the content, which is fine if he is watching tv downstairs, but on the hopper upstairs, there are no folders and he can easily delete them.

The hopper does have some perks, bigger hard drive over dtv, but the gui, at least to me, is not as good as dtv, and at times, recording schedules get glitchy, although that might be more from a kid than anything. It is cool to be watching a show in one room and being able to pick it up where you left off in another room.

Huey said:
..........It is cool to be watching a show in one room and being able to pick it up where you left off in another room.

That and the bigger HDD are the two main reasons why I have been wanting to upgrade to the hopper. I've had Dish for about 10 years, so I'm not missing anything from Cable or DTV. The plus with DTV is NFL Sunday Ticket. I never understood why NFLST was a DirecTV exclusive. Think how much more money they would make if the NFL also catered to the Cable and Dish subscribers. It worked for the iPhone.

Yeah, I was worried about losing my shows on my current DVRs. At first the online rep told me I could only move shows from hopper to hopper and from 722 to 722 (The 722 is the Dish receiver I'm using now). I guess someone corrected him, because he came back and said that all my DVR content could be switched from my current Dish receivers to the Hopper. I planned on dumping everything after football season, but I figured if they are willing to give me the same free perks as the new customers currently get (minus the iPad, which I don't care) then I'll go ahead with the upgrade.

Anyone know if the Hoppers have the ability to let you stream to mobile devices, or would I still need to buy one of those sling devices? Also, if you've had the 722 receivers, what do you like about the Hopper receivers over them? I know there's the whole watching in one room and pick up where you left off in another, but I'm mainly wondering about UI, program guides, accessories, and stuff like that. I'd like to know what else I'm gaining with these receivers.

Yesfan, I believe the latest generation Hopper has Sling built in, if it doesn't, you'll need the Dish USB sling adapter. Not too expensive, ~$35-40 on Amazon. Of course either way, the Hopper will need to be on the network. It's been some time since I've accessed the user menu but I'm certain there's a setting there as well I just don't recall the heading. If you haven't figured it out by the time I get in I'll look into it.

I know a recent update to my first gen Hopper added Bluetooth so I can pair at least one set of Bluetooth HPs and watch shows late night w/o waking Joanna....

Also I think one of the biggest gains besides the "pause in one room, join in another" is the ability to inexpensively add HD content in other rooms throughout the home by piggybacking off of the Hopper via the Joey peripherals. I recall prior to going with the Hopper going from two TVs with HD in the home to six and lowered my bill. I also think preference of the GUI and Guide of Dish vs Directv is one of familiarity. And I think both of them smoke most cable providers. It been a while since I've seen the D* interface and guide but I'd imagine it's been much improved and perhaps exceeds E* but everyone knows that's a game of "tit for tat."

The menu's are similar enough between the two, that has been a pretty easy transition. One thing I dislike about Dish, is at least since we've set up folders, when I'm done watching a show and delete it, it takes you right back to the main list menu, so then you have to navigate back to the folder, and scroll down if you happened to be binge watching a series. PITA! I would give Dish a slight nod on video quality, less macroblocking than compared to DTV, but DTV's audio is better, or at least sounds fuller. Even my 11 year old daughter noticed that.

I haven't used it Yesfan, but I know there is a mobile app to be able to take content with you on your phone, but I don't know about streaming it.

Got it installed and yes, the Hopper has the Sling installed (yay!) The tech thinks I can just hook up the 722 to the Hopper, via USB, and move my DVR content that way thus eliminating an extra step of going to and from the eHDD. I'll find out soon enough. Dish is mailing me boxes for the 722s to return, once I have everything transferred over.

The transition looks like it's going to be easy going from the old receivers to the Hopper/Joey setup. I've only had a couple of hours with it, but it seems looking for and setting up the timers for my shows may seem daunting til I get the hang of it. The folders thing looks like it's going to be hit or miss, especially reading Huey's post about it. I have the Dish Anywhere app on my phone, just have to get my passwords reset.

Now to add that TV over my bar............... :)

Yesfan70 said:
Got it installed and yes, the Hopper has the Sling installed (yay!) The tech thinks I can just hook up the 722 to the Hopper, via USB, and move my DVR content that way thus eliminating an extra step of going to and from the eHDD. I'll find out soon enough. Dish is mailing me boxes for the 722s to return, once I have everything transferred over.

How did that go? I've been thinking about upgrading as well, but we've got a bunch of stuff on our DVR that I don't want to lose.

TKoP said:
Yesfan70 said:

How did that go? I've been thinking about upgrading as well, but we've got a bunch of stuff on our DVR that I don't want to lose.

Sorry about that. I knew I was forgetting something.

Well, going from the 722 to the Hopper to transfer DVR content does not work. I have a 4TB My Book drive that I had to move everything from the 722 to it. Then, I plugged it into the Hopper only to find the Hopper receiver has to format the dang thing, so I had to move everything back to the 722 receiver, connect the My Book to the Hopper so it could format it, then move everything from the 722 back to the My Book drive. Huge pain in the ass time wise, but I was able to save everything.

So if you're upgrading Dish receivers and you're wanting to save your DVR content, go get an external drive before you do anything else. Then have both the old and new Dish receivers format the drive before you start moving content from the old to the new. The downside to Dish is they are still using USB 2.0 connections which is pitifully slow for video transfers, especially if you have a lot of content to move. What I done was let the receiver transfer the content during the night while I was sleeping. I was also going to move the content from the external drive to the Hopper, but the Hopper does a pretty good job of streaming from the external that I just left the content on the external. Oh and if you have a USB 3.0 cable, that will work with the USB 2.0 ports on the drive and receivers, so you're good to go.

Sorry for the late reply. Hope this helps.

Back