• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Used PS3, New PS4- Rocksmith

Randy

Superstar
Ok so myself and a couple of the guys here at work have decided Rocksmith might be a fun way to learn some songs and get in some practice. I was going to just buy Rocksmith for PC/Mac but I was afraid my laptop may not have enough steam to run it without glitches.

I don't currently have a blu ray player, but I would like to upgrade to one, and I have never been a gamer.

I am aware of what a fantastic reputation the PS3 has as a blu ray player with the added benefit of gaming console.

GF wants something to get me fro Christmas and the cost delta is not really an issue so I am not really even considering it.

So do I try to find a used PS3?

Do I get a new PS3?

Do I get a new PS4? The obvious benefit here to me would be a newer platform and possibly better longevity.

Again, whatever I get, plus the Rocksmith game will be a Christmas gift from the GF and she really wont even consider price as an issue. I was looking online at a bass the other day that was just over $1800 she asked if that is what I wanted for Christmas and I said HELL NO. I have no use for that and that is too much money to spend on Christmas. I think she was a little insulted and she let me know it. LOL. I just think it is silly for her to spend that much.

The gaming console and Rocksmith game will be all I ask for this year, so give me your best advice.

Randy said:
...so give me your best advice.
Ask for the guitar.

After Christmas, sell it.

Spend $400 on PS4 and RockSmith.

Buy booze with balance.

:happy-smileygiantred:

Seriously though, if the PS4 is a doable option, that's the way to go.

the nice thing about the older gen consoles is that they are significantly cheaper.

the fact that you can do pretty much the same thing as of right now on it in lieu of the ps4, you are considering price point.

heck you can even throw in rock band if you want a breather and just play for fun. you AND the gf.

other than that, i think that other guitar lovers here would choose for you to invest in a decent mid entry level guitar, and then the platform.

your primary reason to get a gaming console is to learn the guitar, so might as well invest in the guitar.

im thinking you are investing in ABC driving school and bought a beautiful car to drive in it later on.

of course, this is just my two cents.

Well I already play and I already have a really nice, at least I think so, mid level bass. Actually I have 2 pretty decent basses, both of them are more than capable of anything I need or will ever need of them. I have an Ibanez SR 500 and an ESP/LTD FB 4 (Frankie Bello Signature).

I wanted Rocksmith as a fun way to learn new songs and we, the guys here at work that play, were all interested in the jam session feature. I have no interest in Rock Band, I have played it and right now all I can see that doing is hurting my playing.

I guess I am really just wondering about what is the best for the investment, do I go with a used PS3 for around $100 or do I just ask for the PS4 and have something a little newer with the updated platform and probably a little more longevity.

I do however kind of like Zing's theory. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

depends if you'd be consistently playing rocksmith or going forward with other games as well. no point in buying a ps3 then, unless you'd like to go retro and hit some very awesome games of the past.

Red dead redeption would be one of them, a couple others not yet ported into the ps4 family. these games can be had for cheap too.

id rather also not buy used, since it might be a headache later on. budgets not a concern anyways right? its relatively 100 dollars worth of headaches to go away.

I don't really see myself gaming. I imagine if that were going to happen it would have happened by now.

Guy at Gamestop told me if I didn't see myself doing more gaming in the future then I really didn't need a PS4. He said the Blu Ray performance of the PS3 would be as good so no big deal there.

I got a 120GB PS3 new with the DVD remote after tax for under $200. They didn't have Rocksmith with the cable so the GF went to another store to pick that up.

I'm already having buyers remorse due to the advanced platform/ longevity, continued support, blah blah blah stuff I asked about earlier. I may take it back after Christmas and shell out the difference and just get the PS4 as Zing suggested. We shall see.

Gheez I hate making decisions.

I think you'll be fine with the PS3. As it stands it is/will be my Blu-Ray player of choice for the foreseeable future. It can handle 3D if you need it to. And as I mentioned, the DLNA capability make it better than the PS4 in that aspect. New/Cool games are what the PS4 has over the 3 (along with horsepower I suppose). You'll be fine.

On another note...Rocksmith...really the best way to learn guitar? I can barely play any instrument...but would consider getting it just for that. Get my kids to start learning eventually I guess? Is it really that good/worth it?

All of the reviews seem to be positive for the game. I don't know. After checking it out we all decided it might facilitate more and different ways of practicing as well as learning new songs.

I started taking lessons again and I have my normal practice stuff. I do not plan to use this to "learn to play", but to augment what I am already doing.

I've been playing guitar since 1985 off and on. I've also been playing Rocksmith since the first game came out on the xbox360.

Here's what I can tell you:

The next gen versions of Rocksmith 2014 have issues, and lots of em. There's note detection issues, issues with DLC dissapearing or not even downloading...
There's an entire message boar dedicated to Rocksmith support:
http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/ ... th-Support

Make a note of all the stickie'd topics.

If you're not over the top serious about it, I'd go with the Xbox360 or PS3 version of the game and wait for them to get the kinks out before upgrading.

I sold my Xbox and all my games online, and now I'm stuck with the heap of crap that is Rocksmith 2014 on the xbox One.

D

Really, that is surprising. I read that they had fixed a number of the bugs that they had when the game was originally released.

Thank you DH.

I also started playing originally in Dec '86. Honestly played for less than a year and never touched it again until 2 years ago, then I decided to go back to school and it hit the back burner again. Man I wish I would have stuck with it, even off and on for that time would have been such a HUGE help.

Well I got it all up and running and so far it is kind of cool.

However, running it through the home theater system would seem like the thing to do but it has to reveal one thing I am not thrilled with.

Well I hooked it up via HDMI figuring that would be the easiest and best. Apparently according to Ubi this is the least desirable way to hook it up due to audio latency issues.

I noticed the delay right off the bat and went to the link DH suggested and found some info.

I'm not crazy about this, but I'm not returning it either,,,, YET.

ROSM058_PS3_Latency_Insert_Page_1tcm1929770.jpg

OK so here is the recommended setup. I am using HDMI as stated earlier and I would like to use the HDMI switching capabilities of my new receiver I spent a crapload of money upgrading to last year so I could have HDMI switching.

So how do I run the video through the HDMI through receiver and run the audio out (analog) of the PS3 into the receiver so I don't have the lag?

I assume your Marantz has the ability to assign analog audio sources to your digital video sources. My 5 year old Onkyo has this ability. Somewhere in the setup menu you should be able to do it.

I believe there is a setting on the PS3 to run Audio (and possibly video?) through both the HDMI and the other outputs concurrently. Actually, I'm positive for audio. I was using it earlier this year when I was checking out Walls tube amp and headphones.

This plus what Towen said should get the job done.

The PS3 absolutely does, that is what they recommend.

My Marantz, I am not sure, I will have to check. Towen since you mentioned that, it does sound right. I will have to get out my manual on CD, damn I miss real manuals, and look.

I do think it kind of sucks that this is only going to be an issue for this game. I don't know if I want to go all swtchy switchy and back and forthy.

HMMM???? :think: :think: :think:

Tom, if I did that then would the audio out of the PS3 be analog all the time?

Well, with the programming of A/V source on your receiver and the multi-out audio on the PS3, you could just connect the PS3 in two places and have a separate programmed input for each "Rocksmith" and the "PS3". Then with your awesome universal programmable remote, set up a special "Rocksmith" button...

=)

Back