• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Used PS3, New PS4- Rocksmith

Towen7 said:
I assume your Marantz has the ability to assign analog audio sources to your digital video sources. My 5 year old Onkyo has this ability. Somewhere in the setup menu you should be able to do it.

this. the ps4 or 3 would always be able to send audio via the optical out anyways, so dig out your component box and find that optical cable and connect to your marantz.

Joms, that I can do.

Hopefully it will help, but I find it odd that Ubi recommends analog audio out for the Rocksmith game as being optimal.

I'm sure that it's "optimal" only because of timing and potential lag issues.

Does your receiver have any sort of audio delay option to it? Or is it the sound is behind the video?

You don't want to introduce audio delay. For a game like Rocksmith what's important is that the PS console can precisely match the audio outputs to the audio inputs. If you introduce delay there is no way for the console to know how much. So it will think that you are missing notes. This will force you to hit the notes BEFORE your supposed to so that the console thinks you hit them on time.

The problem is already delay, adding more will only make it worse.

The game registers the notes when you hit them and scores them appropriately. The problem is delay from the time you play the note until it actually reproduces the audio for the note.

It is apparently a Rocksmith exclusive issue and only a problem when using a digital, specifically HDMI, audio signal out of the console.

It is a little disconcerting when playing something correctly, but you don't hear it correctly.

OK NEED MORE HELP!!!

So I got the old school PS3 analog cable and hooked it up. I was looking to see what would be the best place to make the analog connection and I decided on Media Player. Made the old school hookup 2 channel into audio in and the yellow composite video cable into video in.

The PS3 is set to multi output audio so it outputs audio over HDMI and analog both the problem is that it will not output video over both. Went through everything to double check and make sure this is the case and apparently for video if I choose analog out then it will not output video over HDMI.

This means I would have to change the setup before each use and that will suck.

I tried assigning the inputs and choosing the HDMI for video in and the analog for audio in on the Game input and whenever I do that it removes the HDMI from the Blu-Ray input.

The Addtion of a simple $59 blu ray player would fix this, but I bough the PS3 due to its versatility, I don't want to have to add another component. If I did this I would simply leaver the PS3 hooked up old school analog.

There has got to be a way, but I am missing something. Frustrated.

The only thing I can think of would be to get an HDMI splitter so that the HDMI out of the PS3 can go two two inputs in the receiver, one for regular bd-player-like output (hdmi only), and one for hdmi video + analog audio for the rocksmith. But even then, you'd have to switch the outputs on the ps3 itself each time, which would also be annoying. And the splitter is probably as much $$ as a cheapo bd player anyway.

I have a PS3 as well, but use it now exclusively for gaming. It's just too loud for music, even for movies it can be annoying. But it's one of the very old original fat models.

Yeah Pauly that might work. Sounds like a viable option but not cost effective as you noted.

Well I just tried it analog only.

I went into the PS3 menu and set it to output analog audio and video.

It worked very well but the picture quality dropped a bunch, as expected. Its a shame to have a near 2K display and seeing an analog only signal.

However the audio lag was nearly non existent. When the game told me to strike a note and I did there was instant response with the note struck being played over my speakers just as if I were playing through my amp.

I wish I could play my bass through my amp and the game through the HT system. That would be sweet.

Switching the PS3 over to output analog or digital signals is going to be a pain in the ass but I guess that may be what I have to do for now.

I may try to contact Ubisoft tomorrow and let them know how disappointed I am in this.

Back