• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Utah HS1B speaker rebuild

These were 2-way with a 12" woofer and two mid/tweeters. I will add a horn tweeter and a new 3-way crossover.

HS1B_inside.jpg

thats one day? dude, you really got to tamper it down man. we looking super bad at this point.

kidding aside that looks awesome.

A clear coat gives depth to any wood grain. A high gloss gives even more depth. When the wood already has great contrast, the gloss accentuates it.

Was that an iron-on veneer? You did that all in one day, and I knew that Macassar had great contrast, possibly even some gloss as a veneer due to its hardness, but the towel reflections were just too much.
One day, wow.

I use a rubber glue roller to apply titebond on the veneer and the speaker, let the glue dry, place the veneer on the speaker and use an iron to heat the veneer, that activates the glue bonding the two together.

I use a rubber glue roller to apply titebond on the veneer and the speaker, let the glue dry, place the veneer on the speaker and use an iron to heat the veneer, that activates the glue bonding the two together.
Thanks; did you apply some kind of finish after that, the same day?

Thanks; did you apply some kind of finish after that, the same day?
The sheets had a prefinish applied. This goes on heavy and typically orange peels bad. So, the process is to sand it down with some 150 grit to a smooth surface, some 220, some 400 and finish with some polishing with 3M Perfect-It. I took a short cut and sprayed a final coat after the 150. It isn't as good as the original process but is good enough for some low end 70's cabinets. It still gives a lot of depth to the finish. It is like putting on a dozen coats of lacquer.

Back