• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

V for Vendetta

I'm surprised Matt hasn't chimed in on this movie. Whenever it's mentioned, he used to go ga-ga over Portman's school girl outfit.

I'm confused about this fascination with Natalie Portman. In my local paper today there is a quarter page article chronicling her movie appearances as though she's the the most amazing actress ever. I find her performances to be okay but not worth all the recent hype.

Maybe I'm just a hater but she's got nowhere near the range or talent of a real great like Meryl Streep.

I think she still gets a lot of praise due to her acting prowess as a youngster. Which I believe is valid. I think as with many actors their performance sometimes goes hand in hand with the material and director. Some of her movie choices have been questionable but I don't believe there's any denying her dedication to her craft and she manages to stay out of the public eye for the most part. I think The Black Swan is evidence to her commitment even though I am not a fan of the movie...she also is incredibly easy on the eyes and wise way beyond her years. I think some of these factors contribute to her debatable over-hype...Plus what's Meryl Streep have like 25+ years or more on Portman on the big screen? I mean for every Star Wars episode 1 there's live action 101 Dalmations...

Batman said:
I mean for every Star Wars episode 1 there's live action 101 Dalmations...

That was a terrible movie but Streep was fantastic in it. Portman's portrayal of Padme had me in no way convinced that she was the ruler of a planet with the weight of the entire Galactic Empire on her shoulders.

Yeah but does either one have any replay value...maybe when Portman is in her late 40s she can do a remake of 101 Dalmations and we can compare apples to apples...no one can save any movie in which George Lucas directs though :D

What am I saying anyways? Streep is in a league of her own and not many are in a league close. I'm foolish to contribute to the comparison relating to the article you read. My point is that Portman CAN act and she is a bankable commodity. I don't expect an Oscar performance from her in Thor and she won't save it from poor reviews or the potential franchise going down in flames if the movie sucks no matter her performance...

Batman is high on crack said:
Yeah but does either one have any replay value...maybe when Portman is in her late 40s she can do a remake of 101 Dalmations and we can compare apples to apples...no one can save any movie in which George Lucas directs though :D

At first I thought you might have been hitting the crack pipe again. The I realized that other than Star Wars (episode I) and American Graffiti the movies he's directed were pretty awful. I guess I got confused with his production credits.

I'm still of mixed opinion about Portman's more recent stuff, but I've seen relatively few of her movies; will definitely be seeing more in the future. Maybe I'll remember her name this time! :D :D :D

I gotta agree, Lucas scripts are in no way conducive to fine acting. I love Streep, but she's not immune to criticism for taking junk roles no more than Portman is fo taking on that heap of garbage rom-com right after a stellar performance in Black Swan.

When Portman isn't hot anymore, the acting chop comparisons can start...it's not exactly Streeps breakout role (Deerhunter to me) was chock full of compelling dialogue from her. Man she was hot, which is one of THE most debatable subjects regarding hot actresses. Some people I know thing she's ugly....I'd have done her well into her 50's.

T7 I haven't even gotten the crack-pipe out yet today. Plus you have readily admitted I am USUALLY right so just concede :D

I'll give you that she is NO Meryl Streep and may never ever be, and frankly, the comparison isn't a good one just based on age. It's all a matter of personal opinion anyway. For example I've never cared much for Lionel Ritchie and will go to my grave saying "Dancing on the Ceiling" is pure dreck. :happy-smileygiantred: But back to Portman/Streep, they broke out in different eras, and portray vastly different roles. Portman hasn't had the opportunities to play an upper-level fashion executive, a broken-hearted mother fearing for her wanted son, an evil cruel puppy hating criminal in her 50s, a confused loving mother banging her ex, etc. Portman, for the most part has played children up and until the last ~4-6 years? It's my opinion that at similar ages, Portman would be the more accomplished actress even if she never achieves Streep's current status...I wonder (seriously) I was 4 when Streep did Deerhunter, and she would have been 29? the same age or close to Portman now, could Streep have turned in both the physical(maybe) AND emotional (yes) performance that Portman just turned in in The Black Swan (yes I still dislike it).

Flint said:
Natalie Portman is a dude who happens to look a little like a girl.
Oh really? You want some too? :eek:bscene-buttred:

natalie_portman.jpg

Flint said:
Natalie Portman is a dude who happens to look a little like a girl.

You've got some weird subconscious stuff goin' on there, Flint... :eusa-whistle:

Now I'm staring at a page full of Natalie Portman and I can't stop :romance-admire: *sigh* T7, at least give me her appearance...

Natalie+Portman1.jpg

natalie-portman-smokey-eye.jpg

And don't respond with a pic of her bald-a$$ head from Vendetta or bring up Where The Heart Is... :laughing-rolling:

Interesting tidbit from Wiki too: "In July 2001, Portman opened in New York City's Public Theater production of Chekhov's The Seagull, directed by Mike Nichols; she played the role of Nina alongside Meryl Streep, Kevin Kline, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The play opened at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park."

Ironic info, given the intensely heated and raging debate about these two fine actresses... :eusa-whistle:

Her's one for you too -B- since you have REAL thing for Streep... :teasing-neener:

81229_meryl-streep-in-doubt.jpg

Batman is on crack no matter what he says said:
T7 I haven't even gotten the crack-pipe out yet today. Plus you have readily admitted I am USUALLY right so just concede :

Concede to what? I never said that YOU said Portman was Streep's equal. Just that the latest media blitz (which the producers of The Black Swan are shurly behind) makes it seem as though she is. I think she's a fine actress and not bad looking.

Say what you will. Lionel Richey is a national treasure.

Towen7 said:
Batman is on crack no matter what he says said:
T7 I haven't even gotten the crack-pipe out yet today. Plus you have readily admitted I am USUALLY right so just concede :

Concede to what? I never said that YOU said Portman was Streep's equal. Just that the latest media blitz (which the producers of The Black Swan are shurly behind) makes it seem as though she is. I think she's a fine actress and not bad looking.

Say what you will. Lionel Richey is a national treasure.
Just give in, give in to my Jedi mind tricks, concede to your local media, admit that Streep can't hold a candle to Portman!!!! :teasing-tease:

GF told me Portman had a pretty good Lesbo scene with Mila Kunis (both chicks I'd give up five years of my life to bang) in "Black Swan" but alas even a good lesbo scene isnt worth me sitting thorugh what most likely will be a borefest.

Back