• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Viera Cast??

Randy

Superstar
Worth it?

Is it a feature worth worrying about? I am hoping to buy a new display and I will probably now wait until the Super Bowl Sales to get it, but I am leaning strongly towards a Panny plasma and I was wondering if the Viera Cast was worth even worrying about?

That depends on whether you are interested in streaming services and/or have another way to get them. I have yet to find a "smart" TV or BD player than can compare to a Roku or AppleTV. Those though require you to use one of your TVs inputs.

My sister has a 60" Panasonic smart TV and I was very impressed how well the apps worked. Netflix, Amazon Instant, and Youtube apps open very quickly. Navigating through the apps was quick also. Good picture quality and it's also DLNA certified. I was able to stream music from my Android phone to the TV (sound goes to receiver). It worked really well.

Towen7 said:
That depends on whether you are interested in streaming services and/or have another way to get them. I have yet to find a "smart" TV or BD player than can compare to a Roku or AppleTV. Those though require you to use one of your TVs inputs.

I agree, but seems seems like one is "stuck" with the smart features of a TV if they are wanting a good higher end display. I remember my Pioneer Elite having speaker jacks for surround speakers. I didn't even use it, but all the Elites (I believe) had them when I had bought mine.

The "smart" part of a smart TV would be last on my list of priorities. Like T7 mentioned, the streaming aspects won't compare to what a Roku or Apple TV can offer. However if something like the number of HDMI inputs is important, you may have to settle for a smart TV.

My biggest complaint with the "smart" part of TVs and BD players is primarily that most have a pretty slow response to remote inputs and the UIs are clunky and sparse. Well, I got a new BD player for Christmas and I have to admit that it performs much, much better than previous generations.

I currently do not have any other means of streaming, but I want to look as that as an option for the future.

Thanx for the input so far guys.

Do you guys still think the Panny plasma is the best bet.

I am about 99% sure that is what I will get but I wanna keep my options open. LOL. 1% open.

I haven't read a bad review about this year's ST, VT, or ZT series from Panasonic. Some say the ZT is the tv that can finally rival the infamous final KURO model. But that the ST is so close to the VT & ZT that at its price it's damn near impossible to pass up.

Towen7 said:
My biggest complaint with the "smart" part of TVs and BD players is primarily that most have a pretty slow response to remote inputs and the UIs are clunky and sparse. Well, I got a new BD player for Christmas and I have to admit that it performs much, much better than previous generations.

Probably still not as good as your Roku or Airplay though, right?

My current bluray players are slow and clunky just like you describe. The Roku has been the best thing I've bought since the Squeezebox.

Randy said:
I currently do not have any other means of streaming, but I want to look as that as an option for the future.

Thanx for the input so far guys.

Do you guys still think the Panny plasma is the best bet.

I am about 99% sure that is what I will get but I wanna keep my options open. LOL. 1% open.

If I were buying a plasma, Panasonic would be at the top of my list. I would also get a Roku or Airplay whether your next TV is a SmartTV or not. I streamed from my Bluray player for about a year before picking up a Roku. The Roku makes it so much more easier as the LG Bluray is very slow and clunky.

Batman said:
I haven't read a bad review about this year's ST, VT, or ZT series from Panasonic. Some say the ZT is the tv that can finally rival the infamous final KURO model. But that the ST is so close to the VT & ZT that at its price it's damn near impossible to pass up.

That is what I was thinking and what I had read from numerous sources. Ergo my plan to buy the ST. I can't see me spending the extra on the ZT.

Yesfan, I will look into Roku or some other means of streaming but it will probably be a while. I have been having a very hard time justifying purchases of almost anything AV of late.
I just have too much other stuff going on to really use or enjoy the stuff.

Back