• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Vizio P series review

Akula

Famous
We've had it now for nearly a couple months, and at Deacon's prodding, I ought to give a good review of it. Or at least one reasonably mediocre enough to keep the CDC off my back. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Our unit is the 50" Vizio 4K TV, the P502ui-b1 (yeah, the model numbers are hard to remember). It's the small one of the family, purchased at Walmart for what was then a good price (under $900), since then I've seen them at Sam's Club for under $700 (where it's an outright steal, IMO).

Note: I have no idea how good the speakers sound in this thing. I don't use them at all (everything is routed through a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver to a 3.1 Klipsch Synergy F-1/C-1 setup with Klipsch and a Paradigm PDR-10).

Picture quality is OUTSTANDING. I know there's apparently some glitches in the thing based on professional reviews, I can't tell. I calibrated the set with the THX iOS app (nice and easy), and when fed a 4K feed from Netflix (the only 4K source I have is the smart TV streaming apps) the picture just jumps off the screen. It's simply amazing.

Feeding it a regular HD stream looks pretty darn nice too... if you've read the manual. One HDMI input is set aside for 4K/60Hz content; the manual tells you that to feed it anything non-4K into that input will result in a lesser quality picture. They aren't just whistling Dixie; stuff didn't look that great when I had it plugged in there. I changed the input and things got better. The internal TV scaler from HD to 4K is quite capable. I haven't tried feeding it a 480i signal; I do upscaling at the receiver for things like that. I simply can't find fault with this TV... I'm no display professional, but I've seen far worse and, in shopping around, the ones that cost 2x as much (or more) didn't look any better.

I did turn off all the motion smoothing abilities; they ended up making things just look weird. Disabled, it's more normal.

The remote control is probably the best one I've ever seen- a shame, since I use a Logitech Harmony (which controls it just fine). There's a QWERTY keyboard on the backside so it's very easy to use search features on the included TV apps. Even with the Harmony, I keep that remote handy just in case.

My only real gripe is the lack of any control buttons on the set itself. A power button is hidden around the back, but if you're standing at the set there's really no way to change inputs or anything short of going and grabbing the remote.

So, would I recommend this thing? Absolutely. If my Mitsubishi DLP bit the dust I'd be buying the 65" version of this thing. I don't think you'd get anything with any decent quality for less and I also don't think you'd get much more if you paid more.

We got a 70" Vizio to roll around the deck and I notcied the same thing in regards to any physical buttons on the set. Just a power button. And it's a bit frustrating cause the remote that came with the set is quirky and doesn't work all the time....

Batman said:
We got a 70" Vizio to roll around the deck and I notcied the same thing in regards to any physical buttons on the set. Just a power button. And it's a bit frustrating cause the remote that came with the set is quirky and doesn't work all the time....

No such remote issues with this one... never had a single issue with "Dang it, why won't this thing recognize a button press???"

Wish I could say the same thing about my DirecTV Genie client box.

Batman said:

:laughing-lettersrofl:

#FirstWorldProblems

Damn...wish they had hit this price point a year earlier (or so). I think that's when I picked up the cheapest 60" plasma I could find for ~$750 I think?

The DirtMerchant said:
Damn...wish they had hit this price point a year earlier (or so). I think that's when I picked up the cheapest 60" plasma I could find for ~$750 I think?

The one thing you can take to the bank: a year after you bought WHATEVER you bought, you'll usually end up wishing you could have gotten the deal they're offering now.

So safe to say you are not regretting the purchase of this display. As far as normal everyday viewing is there any time you think to yourself 'this really isn't what I thought it was going to be'?

Do you notice a better PQ for everything or are some things horrible and other things fantastic?

Deacon said:
So safe to say you are not regretting the purchase of this display. As far as normal everyday viewing is there any time you think to yourself 'this really isn't what I thought it was going to be'?

Do you notice a better PQ for everything or are some things horrible and other things fantastic?

Nope, never do think "This isn't as good as I'd hoped." It replaced an older LG 720p plasma and it's superior in every way. I DID, though, have to turn off the motion smoothing for it to look "right"- that tended to make motion look, well, just a bit off.

I do think the picture quality is a step up from the previous display. I don't know if it's better than my Mitsubishi DLP (1080p) downstairs, but it's most certainly no worse. The better the source material, the better the picture, but on normal HD material from DirecTV or Netflix it looks great.

I bought the Vizio p502ui-b1e on Saturday at Walmart for $698. So far I have been impressed with the picture of the TV. It replaced my old Hitachi plasma TV. One thing I can't figure out is how to update the firmware for the TV. I've looked online and seen that there is a new firmware out but can't find how to update it.

Xgm3 said:
One thing I can't figure out is how to update the firmware for the TV. I've looked online and seen that there is a new firmware out but can't find how to update it.
Have you tried this?

How to update
Internet connected Vizio televisions perform regular checks for software updates and should require no user interaction. However, if a P-Series owner wishes to 'force' a check for software updates, follow this procedure:

Go to MENU > System > System Information > Service Check > press 'OK' > select 'Yes' to perform update check. Then turn TV off and wait at least 20 minutes for the update cycle to complete.

Users have commented that while it is possible to force the TV to check for a software update, a serial number system used by Vizio determines when a particular TV receives the updated software.

Back