• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

VSonic GR07 IEMs

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
As I mentioned in another thread, I just picked up a slightly used but excellent condition set of VSonic GR07 IEMs. I paid $130 (on head-fi); new on amazon they're $180. So I feel I got a pretty darned good deal.

GR07.jpg

As you can see they come with a gazillion different tips, I'm still playing around with them to see what works best. One cool thing about these is that the "nozzle" is on a little ball joint so that you can actually vary the angle w.r.t. the body of the IEM, to adjust the fit even more. You can sorta see that in this picture:

GD07-11.jpg

While I have done very little critical listening with IEMs, and I've just started playing with these guys, I can say for sure that it's a big step up from my previous Phonak Audeo PFEs. It's got a much more open, speaker-like sound, I'm not sure how else to describe it. Great detail, the seem very dynamic. I will do some more critical evaluation with my usual reference material once I settle on some tips that work; IEMs have always taken me a while to get used to, and it's still not my favorite way to listen, but they certainly can't be beat for portability and usability when you're moving around a lot (I got these mainly for commuting and for when I'm practicing on my electric piano).

So far I'm very pleased!

You won't regret owning the GR07s. Extremely comfortable and they cover the frequency gambit ending with kick-ass low end.

Rope

Now, all you need is a smokin' deal on a Woo W6! :happy-smileygiantred:

Congrats on the deal and the acquisition. Enjoy!

Rope said:
You won't regret owning the GR07s. Extremely comfortable and they cover the frequency gambit ending with kick-ass low end.

Rope

They do have clear and tight bass. I'm not sensitive enough to say whether they've got an even response down to X Hz... while I wouldn't call them bass-heavy, they certainly do go down low quite nicely. (The seller said that his main reason for selling was that he's an admitted bass-head and wanted more.)

Been listening to them a good part of the morning/afternoon. Found a comfortable fit; I've not had good luck with the rubber tips before, but the material on these is very soft and pliable, and after finding the right size, I'm pleased with the fit and it seems to seal well.

They also seem more solidly built and cabled than my Phonaks.

PaulyT said:
Rope said:

Rope

They do have clear and tight bass. I'm not sensitive enough to say whether they've got an even response down to X Hz... while I wouldn't call them bass-heavy, they certainly do go down low quite nicely. (The seller said that his main reason for selling was that he's an admitted bass-head and wanted more.)

Been listening to them a good part of the morning/afternoon. Found a comfortable fit; I've not had good luck with the rubber tips before, but the material on these is very soft and pliable, and after finding the right size, I'm pleased with the fit and it seems to seal well.

They also seem more solidly built and cabled than my Phonaks.

Depending on the type media being reproduced, you may find them sibilant for the first while. Once settled in, you may ask yourself; why own full size HPs?

I'd dare say the GR07 is the best bang for the buck IEM available today, although the Fischer DBA02 mkii is a damn fine IEM in its own right.

Rope

Ha! Yeah that DBA02/mkII was my other primary candidate, but mainly I couldn't figure out where to buy one, and then I saw this GR07 ad in the for sale section of head-fi and it was too perfect to pass up. No regrets! And since they've been used for (according to the seller) several hundred hours, I don't need any further burn-in. They sound pretty good to me, I wouldn't say there's any excessive sibilance to them as they are now.

With them having several hundred hours play time, sibilance should not be an issue.

I wouldn't trade my GR07's for the mkIIs, since they don't offer the extended punchy bottom end, and I am partial to dynamic drives versus armature. GR07s make me smile. :mrgreen:

Rope

"Once settled in, you may ask yourself; why own full size HPs?" -Rope

One word: soundstage

:teasing-neener:

Congrats Paul.That looks like a sweet deal you got. I'm not into IEMs enough these days to keep up, plus I have 3 nice pairs.

GD07-11.jpg

The little "Jesus" clip this photo shows, needs to be taken out with little "Jesus" pliers to clean the screens.

Go ahead, ask me why it's referred to as a "Jesus" clip?

Rope

I have no idea, and I'm a religious man. :laughing: But mine doesn't have this... I just snagged that pic off of head-fi. Mine looks like the lower one without the clip.

GreatDane said:
"Once settled in, you may ask yourself; why own full size HPs?" -Rope

One word: soundstage

:teasing-neener:

Congrats Paul.That looks like a sweet deal you got. I'm not into IEMs enough these days to keep up, plus I have 3 nice pairs.

Agreed - I still prefer full-size HP for serious listening. But I got these for a specific purpose, and am quite pleased with them. They do come closer to rivaling a good full-size HP, or even speakers, than any IEMs I've tried - but that's not saying much, as my experience in this area is very limited.

That style of clip is called a "Jesus" clip because on a good day that's what you'll be screaming as the spring clip slips in the pliers and flies across the room every time you attempt to remove or replace it. On a bad day you'll be screaming much more obscene things.

Towen7 said:
Nice but, BTW.

Thanks T7, I'm very proud of my butt, now that I'm following the low carb diet. Thanks for noticing.

The term "Jesus" clip originated from mechanics rebuilding carburetors. If you've ever rebuilt a Rochester, or Carter carburetors, you know how many tiny spring clips they posses. Inevitably when compressing a spring clip, the tool will slip and the spring clip will whirrrrrr across the room, all the while you're standing there thinking about having to find the clip. The first word comes to mind is "Jesus".

Rope

:oops: That'll teach me to reply to posts on my iPhone while stuck in traffic.

Huh. I always thought they were called "fuck me in the ass" clips :laughing-rolling:

Back