• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Wardsweb vintage "catch all" room

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
Ok you've seen my nicer system but here is what started it and stays to this day: my vintage gear room. Some gear in use, like the SAE, but most presently not used or in need of some sort of repair, project completion or TLC.

sunroom1.jpg

sunroom2.jpg

Neat!! Makes me wish I had a bunch of my old gear. Not only to show the evolution of the technology that I've experienced but a reminder of my evolution of a hobbyist...Thanks for sharing!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Cool! I could spend a couple hours in there, even before you turned anything on.

That room is cool, like a trip down the memory lane of hi-fi. So WardsWeb what brand or brands of speakers are we listening to in this room?

TitaniumTroy said:
That room is cool, like a trip down the memory lane of hi-fi. So WardsWeb what brand or brands of speakers are we listening to in this room?
What you see are Altec "bi-flex" two way with some Altec 811 horns I place on top to add some more high end. The Carver and M&K subs are not hooked up here. What you don't see are the JBL 4301B and DIY 2-way towers. This room is all about having fun. Moving gear in and out of systems, tubes, solid state, low power, high power, tape, cd, digital server...Mix and match, build it up and tear it down.

Spent some time today to fix an SAE A201 and SAE MK2200 amplifiers. Two more working systems now in the mix.
sunroom020411.jpg

With all those speakers, I am having some flashbacks. :happy-smileygiantred: Nice looking room, makes me want to kick off the shoes, have a nice drink in hand and just relax.

What's that tan colored semi-circular thing-a-ma-jig on top of the speaker on the left side of the pic? A new project?

Orbison said:
What's that tan colored semi-circular thing-a-ma-jig on top of the speaker on the left side of the pic? A new project?
Good catch, yes new project. Those are the prototypes for some custom JBL 2397 horns. The final version will be in 1" bubinga with machined aluminum fins. These along with the JBL 2405's will sit on top of the JBL C50 Olympus speakers in the picture.

Attachments

• cncfins.jpg
    cncfins.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,205
In the second picture on the lower left side is a tube on the speaker. What is this Tube amp?
Would you have any specs on output, noise, Freq?

malsackj said:
In the second picture on the lower left side is a tube on the speaker. What is this Tube amp?
Would you have any specs on output, noise, Freq?
While it is a tube, it is not an amp. It is a night light using a Eimac 4-1000A Radial Beam Power Tetrode. The light is generated from the heater that runs 5v @ 21a. There is a fan inside that forces air through the base of the tube, through the chimney and out the top.

nightlight.jpg

And the award for the most creative, coolest, impractical night-light goes to...........

Wardsweb said:
There is a fan inside that forces air through the base of the tube, through the chimney and out the top.
Then shouldn't it be called room heater? :eek:

If you only had a basement......imagine what you would build there...

Back