• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

We Are The World, behind the scenes

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar

I wasn't a big fan of this song/video when it hit (and wow did it HIT), but it was very impressive to have that many big names in one room, on one song. The "Professor of Rock" interviewed a few of the folks in the session, with some interesting background info (for me, anyway). When I read the video thumbnail, I immediately thought WATW, but the pic featured Steve Perry, and until now I didn't realize he was even ON the song (he didn't get a featured half-verse). One of the characters in Doonesbury (an older, washed-up rock musician) was given a part on the song, he got to sing "the"; I actually stumped Siri on this, "Doonesbury/Doonesberry musician on WATW" and She couldn't find anything! (I'll remember his name (the fictional R-n-Rer) eventually). PoR promises 3 or 4 more follow-up videos, I'll post them here if/when I see them.
Oh, and when John Oates kicks the bucket, anyone venture a guess, at his estate sale, what the sheet music for the track, signed by every single participant, might sell for? o_O

Just for reference (for me, it has been a long time), the original video:

EDIT to the above post.

Steve Perry DID do have a half-verse, I didn't remember it (Killed that brain cell of mine earlier, I guess). Springsteen and Dylan got too much mic time, as did (imnsho) Ray Charles. And Willie N. should've not tried to harmonize at all, what a punch-bowl turd.

Other than that, Quincy did a pretty good job. Gimme a call first next time, Q; you have my number. ;)

Back