• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Wee Bit Of Venting

D

Deleted member 133

I really like the Pioneer receiver that's the heart of my family room HT. Everything from its proprietary auto speaker set-up to its multiple assignable inputs, to its additional Zone etc. But gosh darn it got me a bit pissed today.

I recently bought, and today installed, a used Oppo unit specifically for the purpose of playing DVD-A-R discs - which the Sony UBP-X800 cannot handle.

I'm running both an HDMI connection between it and the Pioneer, as well as analog A/V connections (since the Pioneer's Zone will only accept same.)

Anyhow I sketched the whole thing out in my mind, and spent a bit of time moving gear around and making the new connections. (Unlike my main HT, where I can access everything from the back of the gear racks, in the family room HT, everything is on/in a bookcase, where access is a challenge.)

Anyhow, after I'd made all of the physical connections all that was left was to assign the specific HDMI input that I'd used on the Pioneer to the same input as the analog A/V connections - something I'd done in seconds with other inputs. But NO, not this time.

I could not get that specific, and last remaining, HDMI connection to show up as an assignable option. I was quickly pulling out what little hair I have left in frustration.

So I started to read the owner's manual (again!). And after a lot of time found a off-hand reference to some feature that had a looks-like-nothing footnote - that was the entire explanation for my problem.

And here's the solutions that it led me to: I needed to first disable the "KURO link" function, because when it is on (default), that specific HDMI input is NOT assignable. All the others are. No other function affects it. And for the life of me I can't understand why the designers would have ever had it affect the one I was using. But design it that way Pioneer did. And it took me way too much time to figure that out.

On the upside once I did, everything works exactly as I had sketched it out in my head. But geez I wish Pioneer had not made it user-hostile to begin with!

Anyone else come across memorable design issues that drove them nuts?

Jeff

Back