• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Well shit.

walls

So tonight I put in Slayers Hell Awaits, turned on my amp, a Little Dot II++, and dammit, the left channel is dead. I tried reversing the tubes, nope, didnt work.

Now I am really not complaining about Little Dot as the amp till this day has performed flawlessly just about every night for five years.

But........I need to replace it ASAP. And Little Dot seems to be hard to find, so I am looking for something comparable price/performance wise.

BTW, I use Sennheiser 595's and 650's with a compact CD player as my source.

What kind of budget are we dealing with? I love my Woo and would recommend it in a hearbeat.

If you'll consider used, I'm sure you'll find something outstanding over at Head-Fi.

I don't keep up on this subject too much because I really like mine. I can also recommend Woo and they're in NY so you don't have to go hunting them down should there be a problem. My Woo 3 has worked flawlessly since 2005 and the build quality still impresses me and I look at it everyday.

I wish I could tell you what to look for inside the amp, maybe you should open her up, you might find a fried hot dog in there.

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/

The only other name on my mind right now is Schitt. If you haven't read about these guys, you should check it out. They're really good. The Valhalla tube amp is $350 and has a 5 year warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this amp if I needed a replacement.

http://schiit.com/products/valhalla/

Here's a review for Valhalla by Rob (Skylab) at Head-Fi. Rob has helped me in the past and he knows tube amps.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516551/review-schiit-audio-valhalla-tube-headphone-amplifier

Got a hold of David from Little Dot and the good news is that he will fix my amp for free, bad news, I pay for shipping both ways and of course I will be out my amp for a couple weeks.

So....I am gonna have it fixed but am also considering buying a WOO. Which model with what mods do you guys suggest? My budget is about $600.

Also, I have less then 25 posts over at head-fi so buying used there can be a challenge.

What's the imedence of the 'phones you use? If it's high enough, the WA3 should fit the bill nicely. However, if the impedence is lower than 30, you'd be better served with the WA6. The WA6 is what I have and I couldn't be happier.

walls said:
The 595's are 50ohms and the 650's are 300.
Well then, the WA3 would do, as would Dane's suggested Valhalla. Anything higher end would just be icing on the cake (or a complete waste of money :teasing-tease: ).

Are there any posting limits or restrictions for the For Sale/Trade forums?

Yes. Anyone wishing to post a thread in the For Sale/Trade forums must be a member of Head-Fi for over thirty (30) days, and have over fifteen (15) posts. If you have not met these requirements, you will see "You are over your limit for posting this forum. Please check back later."

GreatDane said:
Are there any posting limits or restrictions for the For Sale/Trade forums?

Yes. Anyone wishing to post a thread in the For Sale/Trade forums must be a member of Head-Fi for over thirty (30) days, and have over fifteen (15) posts. If you have not met these requirements, you will see "You are over your limit for posting this forum. Please check back later."

I know that the actual forum will let me post but when you have been a member for a few years and only have 25 or so posts the sellers are suspicous. LOL!

I would only buy from a seller who has several positive only feedback. Now with the new software you have to look in the archives to see the old feedback. I just do a search for the member to find their old feedback thread.

Im gonna go with the WOO 3 and use my LD at my office. I hope the WOO 3 is better then the LD.

I think I am gonna buy new, would like the warranty and all.

One thing I dont like about the WOO is that it can not be used as a pre-amp. But its not a deal breaker for me. :)

The Woo 3 does have preamp output. I think Jack can wire it so that it doesn't and this gives more power to the HP out...I think that's how it works. My Woo 3 has active preamp outs which I use into my Rotel amp and sub.

edit- I see now that it's an extra $100 for the preamp option :angry-tappingfoot:

I didn't pay that 5 years ago, mine cost $490 I think.

Attachments

• wa3_back_ch.jpg
    wa3_back_ch.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,003
Rope said:

Do you need a USB DAC? The Cantate has this so figure that's an extra $150 in cost that would go to waste if you wouldn't use it.

Jan Meier makes great amps. I was close to buying the Concerto for my T1 but T1 users who had both Woo amps and the Concerto favored the tubes for T1. I actually just received one of Jan's portable amps on Tue. This is the Corda SSX. It made it to me in 5 business days...from Germany, not bad.

Back