• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Rope said:
^^^

Can that man toot a trumpet, or what?

Rope
I don't know if you've heard this one, but he blows the Trumpet, Flugelhorn and Firebird (valve and slide trumpet) and yes, he can "Toot"! :eusa-whistle:

Dennie

In 1986, Maynard Ferguson made a special appearance at the College of Eastern, Utah's auditorium. At the time, I had no idea who Maynard was, and was very irritated at being dragged (almost literally) to this presentation. I mean really, College of Eastern, Utah? Who in their right mind would darken that door way?

The man and his accompanist’s performed as if they were at Madison Square Garden, New York. I know who Maynard Ferguson is, and will never forget that performance.

Rope

Rope said:
In 1986, Maynard Ferguson made a special appearance at the College of Eastern, Utah's auditorium. At the time, I had no idea who Maynard was, and was very irritated at being dragged (almost literally) to this presentation. I mean really, College of Eastern, Utah? Who in their right mind would darken that door way?

The man and his accompanist’s performed as if they were at Madison Square Garden, New York. I know who Maynard Ferguson is, and will never forget that performance.

Rope
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch said:
Rope said:

Rope
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Very Cool! :text-+1:

Dennie

My last one for the evening....

51TogU-qvxL._SS500_.jpg

Eliane Elias Plays Jobim -- CD

Eliane Elias

1990 Blue Note Records

Unique blend of jazz and Brazil, January 25, 2000
By bossa_nova (Kent) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Plays Jobim (Audio CD)

I love this album and play it all the time. The material is great, and Elias has a unique approach which blends cool and vibrant jazz with a subtle Brazilian rhythmic flow. Her support too is excellent, with Eddie Gomez playing melodic bass lines that at times sound like a pizzicato 'cello or even a guitar! Both percussionists play with great subtlety and together they create a magical soundworld, heard to best advantage on the elusive 'Sabia'. This track and 'Zingaro' are truly haunting. Jazz fans will love what Eliane does with 'One Note Samba' and 'Desafinado' and there is plenty of lively and witty soloing along with the ballads. Highly recommended.

1. Waters of March (Aguas de Março)
2. Sabiá
3. Passarim
4. Don't Ever Go Away
5. Desafinado
6. Angela
7. Children's Games
8. Dindi
9. Zingaro
10. One Note Samba
11. Don't Ever Go Away [Por Causa de Voce]

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Jobim-E...5HFJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299645862&sr=1-1

Today's work truck music....

4119rc4ht3L._SS500_.jpg

New Moon Shine -- CD

James Taylor

1991 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

Ol' Sweet Baby James is known for his gentle coo-ing about life's little joys and tragedies (he's seen fire *and* he's seen rain) and for surrounding himself with the best studio musicians money can buy. Steve Jordan and Steve Gadd on drums ensure the rhythm is solid and guitarist Danny Kortchmar and saxophonist Michael Brecker are top flight cats who keep things in place. Taylor himself is in fine form, penning an immediate audience favorite, "Copperline," and getting playful with Sam Cooke's hit, "Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha," which initially seems incongruous but over time makes sense as more blue shirt soul from Martha's Vineyard's favorite boy. --Rob O'Connor

1. "Copperline" (Reynolds Price, J. Taylor) – 4:22
2. "Down in the Hole" – 5:15
3. "(I've Got to) Stop Thinkin' 'Bout That" (Danny Kortchmar, J. Taylor) – 4:00
4. "Shed a Little Light" – 3:52
5. "The Frozen Man" – 3:54
6. "Slap Leather" – 2:00
7. "Like Everyone She Knows" – 4:56
8. "One More Go Round" – 4:40
9. "Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha" (Sam Cooke) – 3:37
10. "Native Son" – 3:49
11. "Oh, Brother" – 4:24
12. "The Water Is Wide" (Traditional) – 3:00

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/New-Moon-Shin...r_1_18?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299683569&sr=1-18

Trying... to... restrain... self... :angry-steamingears:

Here Pauly ------> :angry-chillpill:

31Tkw8Fq9OL.jpg

Back In Black -- CD

AC/DC

1980 ATCO Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Most critics complain Back in Black, the album AC/DC recorded after the death of their original lead screamer Bon Scott, is ridiculously juvenile, obvious, snickering, bludgeoning, derivative, single-minded about sex and booze, a big cartoon. All true, of course, and--on rock 'n' ragers like "What Do You Do For Money Honey," "You Shook Me All Night Long," and the title track--all great. As Scott's replacement Brian Johnson reminds us, loud and crunchy, no-holds-barred "rock and roll ain't noise pollution...it makes good, good sense." Never trust anyone who refuses to drink domestic beer, laugh at the Three Stooges, or crank Back in Black. --David Cantwell
Side one

1. "Hells Bells" – 5:10
2. "Shoot to Thrill" – 5:17
3. "What Do You Do for Money Honey" – 3:33
4. "Givin the Dog a Bone" – 3:30
5. "Let Me Put My Love into You" – 4:16

Side two

1. "Back in Black" – 4:14
2. "You Shook Me All Night Long" – 3:30
3. "Have a Drink on Me" – 3:57
4. "Shake a Leg" – 4:06
5. "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" – 4:15

df3881b0c8a099e1ba54a110.L.jpg

Slow Ride and Other Hits -- CD

Foghat

1997 Flashback Records

Just what I needed, December 27, 2001
By Christopher Fryer (United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Slow Ride & Other Hits (Audio CD)

Probably not enough for the die hard Foghat fan but this has all I need. I waited a long time to find this on cd! Anthology is ok but it is missing a few gems that can be found on this cd - I'll Be Standing By, Third Time Lucky, and What a Shame. I recommend this solid cd! Update: After getting Fool For The City I have to say that both of these cds should be in your collection. There are 4 good songs from FFTC that are not on this best of cd. Get em both!

Track listing

1. Slow Ride
2. Drivin' Wheel
3. I'll Be Standing By
4. Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool)
5. I Just Want to Make Love to You
6. Fool for the City
7. What a Shame
8. Stranger in My Home Town
9. Ride, Ride, Ride
10. Stone Blue

Suede - "Coming Up"

41xHZ%2BtKPzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Saw a thread over at Steve Hoffman's about some upcoming deluxe reissues and it got me inspired to put this one on for the first time in a long while. "Coming Up" has been my favorite Suede album for quite some time. The first two albums---S/T and DMS---had some nice songs, of course, but for whatever reason I like this one much better. (More accessible and poppier, maybe?) I've also got a soft spot for "A New Morning".

Brett Anderson's non-Suede work is amongst my favorites, too. His S/T album is good, and so is The Tears album. Awesome stuff, really. But I can't help but to feel "Slow Attack" is a bit too slow in its attack. I may never like it all that much.

I'd like to get "Wilderness" someday, though. The sound clips I've heard seem quite promising.

Good Idea Heeman, I think I'll join you........

61Z5Q5NQ2XL._SS500_.jpg

Empty Glass -- CD

Pete Townshend

1980 Atlantic Records

A Great Album Made Even Better!, September 3, 2006
By Barron Crist (Somewhere, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Empty Glass (Audio CD)

"Empty Glass" released in April 1980 is in my opinion a masterpiece and as far as I'm concerned Townshend is a musical genius. He has written so many great songs (not to mention the two rock operas "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia") and he continued to do so with "Empty Glass". Newly remastered for 2006 and now on the Hip-O label (Universal Music), a classic is now made even better. The sound quality surpasses the older remaster by leaps and bounds and there's a crispness that the older remaster lacked with the bass, midrange and output level all increased for 2006! The standout cuts obviously are "Rough Boys", "Let My Love Open The Door" and "Gonna Get Ya" (also included as a bonus track as a whopping eleven minute plus long version). But this album also included other superb tracks such as the self titled "I'm An Animal" (included as a bonus track "Alternate Version"), "Empty Glass", "Keep On Working" (included also as a bonus track "Alternate Vocal") and "And I Moved" (another bonus track "Alternate Vocal"). This was one of the best album's released in 1980 and it sounds as good today as it did twenty six years ago.

All songs were composed by Pete Townshend.

1. "Rough Boys" – 4:02
2. "I Am an Animal" – 3:51
3. "And I Moved" – 3:21
4. "Let My Love Open the Door" – 2:44
5. "Jools and Jim" – 2:36
6. "Keep on Working" – 3:23
7. "Cat's in the Cupboard" – 3:34
8. "A Little Is Enough" – 4:42
9. "Empty Glass" – 5:25
10. "Gonna Get Ya" – 6:25

.....and then.....

51fYk8hKSgL._SS500_.jpg

Psychoderelict -- CD

Pete Townshend

1993 Atlantic Records

Misunderstood masterpiece, July 19, 2004
By Anyechka (Rensselaer, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This review is from: Psychoderelict (Audio CD)

This is one of those albums that you either love or hate. And it's above the heads of a lot of people, people who don't have the patience to give it multiple listens to understand what all's going on. If you get the music-only version, you miss the great storyline being held together by the songs, and some of the songs and music won't make any sense standing alone. It's meant to be like a radio play, not just a collection of songs, so part of the story will be told via song and part via dialogue. And just because you know how it ends doesn't mean you won't want to listen to it again; by that logic you also shouldn't reread a book or watch a movie a second time when you already know the ending. And, truth be told, it's one of those albums that isn't exactly ideal for a new fan because of its complexity.

This story, which is yet another revisiting of 'Lifehouse,' is about a scandal orchestrated by the cynical music critic Ruth Streeting to boost the dying career of former wasted rock legend Ray High, something she did partly with the knowledge of Ray's sleazy manager Rastus Knight. Despite the scandal, everything turns out very happily in the end, with Ray's rereleased albums selling better than ever and Ray getting back into the studio, proving that just because he's over the hill doesn't mean he still can't produce meaningful and popular music. A lot of this is very true to life; many journalists and music critics ignore and bash older musicians just because they've gotten old and some of their fans have stopped caring about them just because they're no longer in the public eye. It's not the fault of the aging rocker Ray that he's sunk in popularity and public recognition, but the fault of everyone who discounted him simply because he got old and didn't go away. Not many albums are made like this anymore, concept albums or albums telling a story. The biggest irony is that this album tanked for many of the same reasons that Ray's career tanked.

1. "English Boy"
2. "Meher Baba M3"
3. "Let's Get Pretentious"
4. "Meher Baba M4 (Signal Box)"
5. "Early Morning Dreams"
6. "I Want That Thing"
7. dialogue introduction to "Outlive the Dinosaur"
8. "Outlive the Dinosaur"
9. "Flame (demo version)" (Gavin Lewis, Jaz Lochrie, Josh Phillips-Gorse, Mark Brzezicki, Simon Townshend)
10. "Now and Then"
11. "I Am Afraid"
12. "Don't Try to Make Me Real"
13. dialogue introduction to "Predictable"
14. "Predictable"
15. "Flame" (Lewis, Lochrie, Phillips-Gorse, Brzezicki, Townshend)
16. "Meher Baba M5 (Vivaldi)"
17. "Fake It" (Billy Nicholls, Jon Astley, Jon Lind)
18. dialogue introduction to "Now and Then (Reprise)"
19. "Now and Then (Reprise)"
20. "Baba O' Riley (Demo)"
21. "English Boy (Reprise)"

413tnTwQ2aL.jpg

HELP! -- CD

The Beatles

1965/2009 Capitol/EMI Records

Amazon.com

How John Lennon's confessional song became the title for a silly James Bond spoof I really don't know. The funny thing is, it works both ways--as a young man's personal statement about learning to open up to others, and as the frantic theme for an exotic espionage chase comedy starring those lovable mop-tops (this time in color). Like A Hard Day's Night, only the first "side" of this album actually contains songs from the movie--the biggest hits being the eponymous cry for assistance and "Ticket to Ride." But part 2 has a few nice tunes as well, like "It's Only Love," "I've Just Seen a Face," and a little ditty called "Yesterday." And I always love it when they do an all-out screamer like "Dizzy Miss Lizzy," which sounds like John's raucous answer to Paul's "Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" vocal on Beatles for Sale. Of course, it's essential--as are all the Beatles' soundtracks (all the Beatles' albums), with the possible exception of Yellow Submarine. --Jim Emerson

1. Help!
2. The Night Before
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
4. I Need You
5. Another Girl
6. You're Going To Lose That Girl
7. Ticket to Ride
8. Act Naturally
9. It's Only Love
10. You Like Me Too Much
11. Tell Me What You See
12. I`ve Just Seen a Face
13. Yesterday
14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy
15. Help! Documentary

7265431378a07bd0f3786110.L.jpg

San Francisco Days -- CD

Chris Isaak

1993 Reprise Records

"San Francisco Days" is a classic!, November 18, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: San Francisco Days (Audio CD)

Four years after "Heart Shaped World", Chris Isaak returns with a brilliant collection of songs that overall has a more "upbeat" mood than his previous records.

From rousing rockers to heartfelt ballads and even a couple of jazz-flavoured tracks, this is easily Mr. Isaak's best album. His natural sense for melody is even more evident on this record than the previous ones. Among the best cuts are "Can't Do A Thing (To Stop Me)" and "Two Hearts", which has an irresistibly catchy melody, and a vocal delivery that pays tribute to Roy Orbison, complete with flawless high notes. The jazzy "5:15" has a great smoky vocal and bass line. "Lonely With A Broken Heart " sounds uncannily like Elvis Presley, and "Solitary Man", the only cover song on the album, sounds better than the Neil Diamond version.This is one of those albums where every song is nothing short of excellent.

"San Fransico Days" is a brilliant album and a as much a classic as "Rumours" or "Band On The Run".

All tracks composed by Chris Isaak; except where indicated

1. "San Francisco Days"
2. "Beautiful Homes"
3. "Round 'N' Round"
4. "Two Hearts"
5. "Can't Do a Thing (To Stop Me)" (Isaak, Brian Elliot)
6. "Except the New Girl"
7. "Waiting"
8. "Move Along"
9. "I Want Your Love"
10. "5:15"
11. "Lonely With a Broken Heart"
12. "Solitary Man" (Neil Diamond)

Back