• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

511aSG5Ca0L._SS500_.jpg

All Natural Ingredients --CD

Fattburger

1996 Shanachie Records

San Diego's Fattburger is one of smooth jazz's elder statesgroups, and could easily rest on their laid back laurels if they chose to. Instead, the powerful playing and eclectic tempos of All Natural Ingredients combine to create one of their most hard hitting works to date. A good deal of the new energy comes from snappy electric guitarist Evan Marks and Hollis Gentry, an original member who guests here with cranked up, jazzed out solos on flute and sax. While laid back softies like "Till Then" have the trademark feel, it's the firepower of hypnotic urban jams like "Coronado" and "100% Fatt" which kicks these ingredients into high gear. Tommy Aros gets zesty Latin percussion workouts on the feisty original "Do That Again," while Gentry and keyboardist Carl Evans (doing the blues) fuse to make their version of "Oye Como Va" one of the wildest in recent memory. Another well-read cover, the summery shuffle of Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World," rounds out what amounts to this band's revitalization as they enter their second decade in pop-jazz consciousness. ~ Jonathan Widran, All Music Guide

So Far So What
Everybody Wants To Rule The World
The Grip
Oye Como Va
100% Fatt
Do That Again
Lo-Cal Swing
Coronado
'Till Then
The Good Life

51CN6Qb7tBL._SS400_.jpg

"The Heroines" by Tony Joe White

~ (some very good Delta Blues)

. . . "the blues .... play it when you're sad, play it when you're happy again"

~ Eric Bibb

Today's work truck music...

6809729fd7a000576f3de010.L.jpg

Aja -- CD

Steely Dan

1977/1999 MCA Records

Amazon.com

History gives Steely Dan's Walter Becker and Donald Fagen the last, hearty laugh on this, the crown jewel in their remarkable canon of '70s Mensa pop. Sneaking onto the charts a half-decade earlier with sinuous, jazz-inflected "rock," the dysfunctional duo's acerbic, anti-heroic visions had been critically lauded for their band identity and killer guitar riffs, then promptly challenged when the two songwriters retired from the road, dissolved any formal band lineup, and used the studio as laboratory. Aja carried the added indignity of its increased focus on sophisticated jazz models and musicianship, which carried the Dan's ambitions even further in terms of suave harmonies, intricate song structures, and brilliant playing. Time has proven them wiser than their rock crit detractors: These seven songs abound in knotty plots, sneaky imagery, and drop-dead brilliant performances from a blue chip studio repertory studded with first-call jazz players epitomized by Wayne Shorter's towering solo on the title song. From the hard-boiled jazz romance of "Deacon Blues" to the twisted Homeric vamp of "Home at Last," the veiled but ominous swing of "Peg" to the sci-fi eroticism of "Josie," Aja is a modern pop classic and the coolest fusion record no one ever thought to lump in that category. --Sam Sutherland

Side one

"Black Cow" – 5:10
"Aja" – 7:57
"Deacon Blues" – 7:37

Side two

"Peg" – 3:57
"Home at Last" – 5:34
"I Got the News" – 5:06
"Josie" – 4:33

PaulyT said:
~
Yeah, Pauly T!

I remember (sort of) when you first started getting into/familiarized with Stevie Ray's music. You've evidently discovered the talent and soul of his music/songs. (Double Trouble's a great little band too)
For me, he's #1

This is a great cd which demonstrates his range. ~ :handgestures-thumbup:

footnote: Tin Pan Alley was recorded on the very 1st take

Cool. Yeah, I've got all his studio albums, plus a box set of a bunch of live stuff spanning his career. And a couple of videos. ;)

This one was released yesterday and this is my first spin.

Thanks Willie, Wynton and Norah. I sure miss Brother Ray......

1301086922_cover.jpg

Here We Go Again - Celebrating The Gunius of Ray Charles -- CD

WIllie Nelson - Wynton Marsalis - Norah Jones

Yesterday Blue Note Records

Product Description

Once in a while the stars align and something magical happens...as on the night Jazz at Lincoln Center presented a salute to the late, great bluesman, Ray Charles. Two musical iconoclasts, Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis, along with the stunning songstress Norah Jones, collectively brought their unique musical perspective to the legendary artist's hits such as "Hallelujah I Love Her So", "Hit the Road Jack," and "Unchain My Heart." Country music legend Willie Nelson and Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz artist and Jazz at Lincoln Center Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis share more in common than their multiple GRAMMY® awards. They also share great respect and admiration for the late musical pioneer Ray Charles. Nelson and Marsalis joined musical forces for a two-night Jazz at Lincoln Center concert event at New York City's Frederick P. Rose Hall, home of Jazz at Lincoln Center. Their set list explored the legacy of Charles, cleverly sequencing the songs to tell the story of a love affair from beginning to end and beyond. This fine idea was made finer by the inclusion of fellow multiple GRAMMY® winner Norah Jones, whose style suggests a middle ground between Nelson and Marsalis. The sold out performance was captured and the resulting footage expertly mixed and mastered for the brand new album.

1. Hallelujah I Love Her So (Gospel 2-beat / Boogaloo / 4/4 Swing)

2. Come Rain or Come Shine (Walking Ballad)

3. Unchain My Heart (Bolero with Habanera bass)

4. Cryin' Time (Country Ballad)

5. Losing Hand (Dirge with Chain-Gang Shuffle)

6. Hit The Road Jack (Gospel 2-beat / 4/4 Swing)

7. I’m Moving On (Boogaloo with Afro-Latin Backbeat / 4/4 Swing)

8. Busted (Gospel 12/8 Shuffle)

9. Here We Go Again (Rhythm & Blues 12/8 Shuffle)

10. Makin’ Whoopie (Hard-Bop 2-beat / 4/4 Swing)

11. I Love You So Much (It Hurts) (Waltz)

12. What'd I Say (Boogaloo)

My last one for the evening....

1298437711_56ea6791-79c2-4e9f-bf40-f20ee343f0bc.jpg

Rock n Roll Party - Honoring Les Paul -- CD

Jeff Beck

2011 ATCO Records

Today's work truck music....

a2a9828fd7a00412d4597110.L.jpg

Truth -- CD

Jeff Beck

1968 Epic Records

Amazon.com

At first glance, the first group effort helmed by guitar god Jeff Beck upon his rocky departure from the Yardbirds has more than a few striking parallels with the debut of fellow ex-Yardbird Jimmy Page's Led Zeppelin. But the blues-rock of the Rod Stewart-fronted Jeff Beck Group's freshman effort far outshines Zep's riff and wail, infusing its guitar heaviness with subtle jazz and R&B shadings that foreshadow much of Beck's later work. Kicking off with a drastic, almost mournful rethink of the Yardbirds staple "Shapes of Things" and veering as far afield as Gershwin's "Ol' Man River," Truth was one of the late 1960s' most promising debuts. The laconic roadhouse booziness of "You Shook Me," the blues standard also covered with shrill abandon on Zeppelin's debut, best points up the stark differences between Beck and Page, making one wonder whether the '70s weren't dominated by the wrong supergroup. --Jerry McCulley

Side one

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Shapes of Things" Jim McCarty, Keith Relf, Paul Samwell-Smith 3:22
2. "Let Me Love You" Jeffrey Rod 4:44
3. "Morning Dew" Bonnie Dobson 4:40
4. "You Shook Me" Willie Dixon 2:33
5. "Ol' Man River" Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein 4:01

Side two

1. "Greensleeves" traditional 1:50
2. "Rock My Plimsoul" Jeffrey Rod 4:13
3. "Beck's Bolero" Jimmy Page 2:54
4. "Blues Deluxe" Jeffrey Rod 7:33
5. "I Ain't Superstitious" Willie Dixon 4:53

2006 reissue bonus tracks

11. "I've Been Drinking" Jeffrey Rod 3:25
12. "You Shook Me (take 1)" Willie Dixon 2:31
13. "Rock My Plimsoul" Jeffrey Rod 3:42
14. "Beck's Bolero" Jimmy Page 3:11
15. "Blues Deluxe (take 1)" Jeffrey Rod 7:31
16. "Tallyman" Graham Gouldman 2:46
17. "Love Is Blue" André Popp, Pierre Cour, Brian Blackburn 2:57
18. "Hi Ho Silver Lining" Scott English, Laurence Weiss 3:46

ADELE-21-COVER-ART.jpg

1. Rolling in the Deep
2. Rumour Has It
3. Turning Tables
4. Don’t You Remember
5. Set the Fire to Rain
6. He Won’t Go
7. Take It All
8. I’ll Be Waiting
9. One and Only
10. Lovesong
11. Someone Like You

Her first disc was really good but this one is excellent!!!

51EqCUE-w8L._SS500_.jpg

(released March 2011)

Editorial Reviews ~
Product Description
~
Rory Block is THE most acclaimed female acoustic blues artist. Her tribute album to Mississippi Fred McDowell is part of a series celebrating the music of her mentors. Her second for Stony Plain, Shake 'Em On Down includes covers of a few of Fred's best known songs, a few obscurities and four originals written by Rory. Shake 'Em On Down is released in conjunction with her autobiography, When A Woman Gets The Blues.

Dennie said:
This one was released yesterday and this is my first spin.

Thanks Willie, Wynton and Norah. I sure miss Brother Ray......

1301086922_cover.jpg

Here We Go Again - Celebrating The Gunius of Ray Charles -- CD

WIllie Nelson - Wynton Marsalis - Norah Jones

Yesterday Blue Note Records

Product Description

Once in a while the stars align and something magical happens...as on the night Jazz at Lincoln Center presented a salute to the late, great bluesman, Ray Charles. Two musical iconoclasts, Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis, along with the stunning songstress Norah Jones, collectively brought their unique musical perspective to the legendary artist's hits such as "Hallelujah I Love Her So", "Hit the Road Jack," and "Unchain My Heart." Country music legend Willie Nelson and Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz artist and Jazz at Lincoln Center Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis share more in common than their multiple GRAMMY® awards. They also share great respect and admiration for the late musical pioneer Ray Charles. Nelson and Marsalis joined musical forces for a two-night Jazz at Lincoln Center concert event at New York City's Frederick P. Rose Hall, home of Jazz at Lincoln Center. Their set list explored the legacy of Charles, cleverly sequencing the songs to tell the story of a love affair from beginning to end and beyond. This fine idea was made finer by the inclusion of fellow multiple GRAMMY® winner Norah Jones, whose style suggests a middle ground between Nelson and Marsalis. The sold out performance was captured and the resulting footage expertly mixed and mastered for the brand new album.

1. Hallelujah I Love Her So (Gospel 2-beat / Boogaloo / 4/4 Swing)

2. Come Rain or Come Shine (Walking Ballad)

3. Unchain My Heart (Bolero with Habanera bass)

4. Cryin' Time (Country Ballad)

5. Losing Hand (Dirge with Chain-Gang Shuffle)

6. Hit The Road Jack (Gospel 2-beat / 4/4 Swing)

7. I’m Moving On (Boogaloo with Afro-Latin Backbeat / 4/4 Swing)

8. Busted (Gospel 12/8 Shuffle)

9. Here We Go Again (Rhythm & Blues 12/8 Shuffle)

10. Makin’ Whoopie (Hard-Bop 2-beat / 4/4 Swing)

11. I Love You So Much (It Hurts) (Waltz)

12. What'd I Say (Boogaloo)

Seen them all on Letterman last night was really really good but could have used less Willy and more Nora but I still liked it.

Tee said:
ADELE-21-COVER-ART.jpg

1. Rolling in the Deep
2. Rumour Has It
3. Turning Tables
4. Don’t You Remember
5. Set the Fire to Rain
6. He Won’t Go
7. Take It All
8. I’ll Be Waiting
9. One and Only
10. Lovesong
11. Someone Like You

Her first disc was really good but this one is excellent!!!
My buddy came over and insisted I plug his Ipod in and I did and it was Adele 19 and I really enjoyed it. So, I ordered Adele 21 when it came out and I am glad I did.

:text-bravo:

Dennie, now where did I put it? I'm going to have to find it and give it another spin, Thanks Tee!

51p%2BIfEIdXL._SS500_.jpg

Just Won't Burn -- CD

Susan Tedeschi

1998 Tone - Cool Records

Amazon.com

A Boston native now living in Atlanta, Sue Tedeschi gets wildly overpraised by some purported blues pundits and gratuitously slammed by others. The truth lies somewhere in between. She's an earnest but undistinguished singer and a functional songwriter-guitarist whose music provides mild entertainment. On an album that veers between blues-slanted material (try "Friar's Point") and bluesy pop-rock (take your pick), she carries on with élan but none of the finesse or emotional clarity of a big-league singer like Joan Osborne or Bonnie Raitt. Tedeschi's cover of John Prine's "Angel from Montgomery," alas, is her blatant imitation of the famous redhead but it is light years away from Raitt's persuasive capacity for interpreting lyrics. The most alluring track is "Can't Leave You Alone," written by Tedeschi band member Adrienne Hayes, who unleashes a stirring little guitar solo therein. --Frank-John Hadley

"Rock Me Right" (Tom Hambridge) – 4:27
"You Need to Be With Me" (Tedeschi) – 3:04
"Little by Little" (Junior Wells) – 3:49
"It Hurts So Bad" (Hambridge) – 4:50
"Found Someone New" (Tedeschi) – 2:20
"Looking for Answers" (Tedeschi) – 5:13
"Can't Leave You Alone" (Adrienne Hayes) – 3:02
"Just Won't Burn" (Tedeschi) – 4:46
"(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean" (Herb Lance, Charlie Singleton, John Wallace) – 4:43
"Angel from Montgomery" (John Prine) – 5:23
"Friar's Point" (Hambridge, Tedeschi) – 4:21

Dennie wrote:
51p%2BIfEIdXL._SS500_.jpg

~
I still like this cd as much today as when it first came out.
~ :handgestures-thumbup:

In my opinion, her very best . . . .

~ ~ ~ Enjoy, Dennie

Thanks Topper, it is a great album and I am really enjoying it. You know, ever since I picked up these little Klipsch La Scala speakers, I just can't get enough music! :bow-blue:

KlipschTwoAngle1_1489.jpg

Here's a rare look at the folded bass horn....

MinLaScala.jpg

A guy on the Klipsch forum is refinishing them and adding bracing to the cabinet. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Back