• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

717cc0a398a071ac89b3d110.L.jpg

Old Ways -- 24k Gold CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Neil Young

1985 Geffen/ MFSL Ultradisc II

There has always been a strong country element to Neil Young's music and OLD WAYS is perhaps the ultimate manifestation of Young's love of that style. Songs like "Get Back To The Country" (a stomping track on which fiddles and a Jew's harp are the lead instruments) and "California Sunset" are indeed pure country. Other songs--including "The Wayward Kind," "Misfits" and "Old Ways"--boast poignant melodies and straightforward performances that would not be out of place on classic Young albums like HARVEST and COMES A TIME. Labeled a "country album" when it was released in 1985, OLD WAYS is a lot less country than Garth Brooks or Dwight Yoakam, though with guests spots from Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, it's not your typical Neil Young album either. OLD WAYS is an enthusiastic, well-played exploration of country music by a rock artist who is never afraid to try something new.

Neil Goes Country With Bela Fleck And Others

Side one

1. "The Wayward Wind" – (Herb Newman, Stan Lebowsky) 3:12
2. "Get Back to the Country" – 2:50
3. "Are There Any More Real Cowboys?" – 3:03
4. "Once an Angel" – 3:55
5. "Misfits" – 5:07

Side two

1. "California Sunset" – 2:56
2. "Old Ways" – 3:08
3. "My Boy" – 3:37
4. "Bound for Glory" – 5:48
5. "Where Is the Highway Tonight?" – 3:02

372f228348a0e5a496e55110.L.jpg

American IV: The Man Comes Around --CD/DVD :handgestures-thumbup:

Johnny Cash

2002 Lost Highway Records

Amazon.com

On first thought, the idea of the Man in Black recording such covers as "Bridge over Troubled Water," "Danny Boy," and "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" might seem odd, even for an artist who's been able to put his personal stamp on just about everything. But American IV: The Man Comes Around, which also draws on Cash's original songs as well as those by Nine Inch Nails ("Hurt"), Sting ("I Hung My Head"), and Depeche Mode ("Personal Jesus"), may be one of the most autobiographical albums of the 70-year-old singer-songwriter's career. Nearly every tune seems chosen to afford the ailing giant of popular music a chance to reflect on his life, and look ahead to what's around the corner. From the opening track--Cash's own "The Man Comes Around," filled with frightening images of Armageddon--the album, produced by Rick Rubin, advances a quiet power and pathos, built around spare arrangements and unflinching honesty in performance and subject. In 15 songs, Cash moves through dark, haunted meditations on death and destruction, poignant farewells, testaments to everlasting love, and hopeful salutes to redemption. He sounds as if he means every word, his baritone-bass, frequently frayed and ravaged, taking on a weary beauty. By the time he gets to the Beatles' "In My Life," you'll very nearly cry. Go ahead. He sounds as if he's about to, too. Unforgettable. --Alanna Nash

1. "The Man Comes Around" (Cash) – 4:26
2. "Hurt" (Reznor) – 3:38 Originally recorded by Nine Inch Nails for The Downward Spiral (1994)
3. "Give My Love to Rose" (Cash) – 3:28 Originally recorded by Cash for Sun, appears on Sings Hank Williams (1960), also appears on At Folsom Prison (1968)
4. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (Simon) – 3:55 Originally recorded by Simon and Garfunkel for Bridge over Troubled Water (1970)
5. "I Hung My Head" (Sting) – 3:53 Originally recorded by Sting for Mercury Falling (1996)
6. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (MacColl) – 3:52 Was a number one hit for Roberta Flack (1972)
7. "Personal Jesus" (Gore) – 3:20 Originally recorded by Depeche Mode for Violator (1990)
8. "In My Life" (Lennon/McCartney) – 2:57 Originally recorded by The Beatles for Rubber Soul (1965)
9. "Sam Hall" (Ritter) – 2:40 Originally recorded by Cash for Sings the Ballads of the True West (1965)
10. "Danny Boy" (Weatherly) – 3:19 First published in 1910, previously recorded by Cash for Orange Blossom Special (1965)
11. "Desperado" (Frey/Henley) – 3:13 Originally recorded by The Eagles for the album of the same name (1973)
12. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (Williams) – 3:03 Originally recorded by Hank Williams; previously recorded by Cash for Now, There Was a Song! (1960)
13. "Tear Stained Letter" (Cash) – 3:41 Originally recorded by Cash for A Thing Called Love (1972)
14. "Streets of Laredo" – 3:33 (Traditional) Previously recorded by Cash for Sings the Ballads of the True West (1965)
15. "We'll Meet Again" (Charles/Parker) – 2:58 Most famously a hit for Vera Lynn (1939)

After the Hauntingly beautiful Johnny Cash album, I needed something a little more.....upbeat! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

61oh0LjG%2BhL.jpg

Feels So Good -- CD

Chuck Mangione

1970/1990 A&M Records
The man with the flugel horn sure can play!!, December 15, 2000
By Glenn "Glenn98" (Bergenfield, NJ USA)
The Grammy winning title cut "Feels so Good" is what turned me on to Chuck Mangione's music. But this CD goes much further than that. ALL of the recordings here are excellent. And they are arranged alternating the fast and slow pieces in a pleasing way. "Maui Waui" and "Last Dance" are nice and relaxing. "Theme from Side Street" is short but meaningful. "Hide and Seek" is a catchy piece that will have you tapping to it. And "The XIth Commandment" is a brilliant end to this great CD.

This is by far Chuck's best recording. If you're in a qundary about which Chuck Mangione CD to buy, THIS IS THE ONE!

1. Feels So Good - 9:42
2. Maui-Waui - 10:13
3. Theme From 'Side Street' - 2:05
4. Hide & Seek (Ready Or Not Here I Come) - 6:25
5. Last Dance - 10:54
6. The XIth Commandment - 6:36

80fcc060ada0fb943d3c9110.L.jpg

Live at the Village Vanguard -- Mini Lp CD

Gerry Mulligan and the Concert Jazz Band

1960/2002 Verve Stereo

This is incredible, January 21, 2006
By Pharoah S. Wail (Inner Space) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: At the Village Vanguard (Spec Packaging) (Audio CD)

I bought this sometime in 2005, loved it, but decided not to review it because right on the sleeve (it's a cardboard package with the cd slipped inside a fuzzy little envelope like the Sam Rivers - Crystals package, not a jewel case) it says it's a limited release that goes out-of-print in september of 2005. I just figured there's no point in reviewing it since the review would effectively die in several months. Now here we are in 2006 and it's still available.

The band is Gerry Mulligan on baritone sax and piano. Mel Lewis drums. Bill Crow bass. Nick Travis, Clark Terry, Don Ferrara trumpets. Bob Brookmeyer, Willie Dennis, Alan Ralph trombones. Gene Quill clarinet and alto saxophone. Bob Donovan alto. Jim Reider tenor saxophone. Gene Allen baritone saxophone and bass clarinet.

Who knows how much longer this will be around. If you think you might want it, GET IT. This band is amazing and the sound of the recording is fantastic! I like the couple slower tunes too, quite lovely interpretations of these tunes, but the uptempo stuff is the heart and soul of this album. There's not a single note I'd want to change here and the intensity is really something to behold. This band swings ruthlessly and the soloing is impeccable.

Even if you're not what you'd call a "big-band person", don't let that stop you. Glenn Miller this is not! Then again if you have high blood-pressure or arthritis you may want to take your medicine before popping this into the player because your heart-rate will rise and you're going to be moving. This is one of my favorite cds I bought in all of 2005 and from my first listen last year to my most recent listen yesterday, I've been in envy of everyone who ever attended a concert by this band on one of their good nights. I assume this was a phenomenal night because this thing knocks me out from the first track to the last, but if they were even better than this, and if that stuff was recorded, then please some label, any label, release or re-release all those albums because my soul and wallet are waiting.
Side One:

1. Blueport
2. Body and Soul
3. Black Nightgown

Side Two:

4. Come Rain or Come Shine
5. Lady Chatterley's Mother
6. Let My People Be

51Gi0xwGrML._SS500_.jpg

Stitt's Bits - The Bebop Recordings, 1949 - 1952 -- 3 CD Box Set

Sonny Stitt

2006 Prestige Records

I ALWAYS give Sonny Props, September 15, 2006
By Johnny Thursday (NYC Metro Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 (Audio CD)

Great sounding reissue of hall-of-fame "re-bop, or what you will" with some great jazzy r&b-ish sessions thrown in to boot. Obviously the Sonny quartets (and the J.J. stuff) are what put this over, but having them interspersed with some larger band sessions featuring Jug actually enhances overall listenability. As for the old vocals on a handful of cuts, I like this style a lot, but these don't always sound that great. Not too much of a problem really, as the music is always on point.

You also get two of the all time top Bud Powell sessions. Harvey Pekar supplies the notes, and I guess he's a big enough deal nowadays to print that on the box. Even I must admit he does a really good job, better than most of the folks who write for these types of packages. In short, a box for the true believer. (aside from Bud Powell, J.J. Johnson, and Gene Ammons mentioned above, just some of the notable musicians included in this package are: Art Blakely, Nelson Boyd, Kenny Drew, Bennie Green, Jo Jones, Duke Jordan, Junior Mance, Earl May, Tommy Potter, Max Roach, Curly Russell, and Shadow Wilson.)

Way to many tracks to list.
Here is a link if you're interested---->http://www.amazon.com/Stitts-Bits-B...ET3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287880487&sr=1-1

e030225b9da0aab6b0136110.L.jpg

Everybody's Talkin' -- CD

Harry Nilsson

1997 BMG Music

Nilsson rules, January 4, 2001
By Clyde Goodenough "pharaoh boi" (Williams, WA Australia) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everybody's Talkin' (Audio CD)

what can I say about the man with THE voice of gold. I love his music and this CD is no exception. Its an album that everyone should listen to when they're feeling melancholic. I can only wonder what he may have achieved if he were still alive today. Everybody's talkin should be a part of the collection of all good music connoisseur.

1. Everybody's Talkin'
2. Vine St.
3. Love Story
4. One
5. Without Her
6. Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear
7. As Time Goes By
8. Without You
9. Many Rivers to Cross
10. Down to the Villey

61POP4k-eEL.jpg

The Look of Love -- CD

Diana Krall

2001 Verve Records

Amazon.com

The Look of Love doesn't tamper with Diana Krall's ongoing success, continuing the emphasis on romantic ballads and embracing them with lush string arrangements. At the core, of course, is Krall's voice. She's developing into one of the great torch singers, with an approach that's both direct and subtly nuanced, true to the song and yet deeply personal. There's a combination of restraint and drama here, as Krall ranges from the confident to the wistful, from loss to playful insinuation, as each song requires. "Cry Me a River" is bittersweet triumph, while "Love Letters" and "Maybe You'll Be There" maintain the most tenuous emotional hold, at once fragile and resilient. "Besame Mucho" and "Dancing in the Dark" are sultry romances wafted on light Latin beats. The songs develop their intimacy in the setting of Krall's quartet, which usually includes bassist Christian McBride and drummer Peter Erskine and several fine guitarists, most frequently Russell Malone. They're a superb complement to her voice and piano, and the close communication carries through the depth and sheen added by Claus Ogerman's rich orchestrations. --Stuart Broomer

1. "'S Wonderful" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 4:29
2. "Love Letters" (Edward Heyman, Victor Young) – 4:56
3. "I Remember You" (Johnny Mercer, Victor Schertzinger) – 3:56
4. "Cry Me a River" (Arthur Hamilton) – 5:03
5. "Besame Mucho" (Sunny Skylar, Consuelo Velazquez) – 6:40
6. "The Night We Called It a Day" (Tom Adair, Matt Dennis) – 5:42
7. "Dancing in the Dark" (Howard Dietz, Arthur Schwartz) – 5:48
8. "I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)" (Hoagy Carmichael, Jane Brown Thompson) – 3:44
9. "The Look of Love" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 4:41
10. "Maybe You'll Be There" (Rube Bloom, Sammy Gallop) – 5:31

5169WG1MYKL._SS500_.jpg

Old Friends - Live On Stage -- 2 CD's 1 DVD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Simon & Garfunkel

2004 Warner Bros. Records
Amazon.com

One may never be able to go home again, but that hasn't kept Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel from trying every other decade or so. This two-CD plus DVD live set (recorded in December 2003 at the Meadowlands and Madison Square Garden) shows their musical chemistry has transcended the years--and no small amount of acrimony. But while their '80s live reunion was marked by an aura of celebration, this one floats on an undercurrent of bittersweet resolve. There's no mistaking the elegiac tone of the title track, while stark readings of "Hazy Shade of Winter" and "Sounds of Silence" can't help but evoke the scars of 9/11. A musical circle is completed as the Everly Brothers step in for a joyous "Bye Bye Love," while elsewhere Simon's musical restlessness inspires a subtly jazzy reworking of "Slip Slidin' Away" and Garfunkel adds his stately grace to his partner's "American Tune." The album concludes with S&G's first new studio recording in 30 years, the plaintive, irony-studded plea "Citizen of the Planet." --Jerry McCulley

CD Disc 1

1. Old Friends/Bookends
2. A Hazy Shade of Winter
3. I Am A Rock
4. America
5. At the Zoo
6. Baby Driver
7. Kathy's Song
8. Tom and Jerry Story
9. Hey, Schoolgirl
10. The Everly Brothers Intro
11. Bye Bye Love (The Everly Brothers with Simon & Garfunkel)
12. Scarborough Fair
13. Homeward Bound
14. The Sound of Silence

CD Disc 2

1. Mrs. Robinson
2. Slip Slidin' Away
3. El Condor Pasa
4. The Only Living Boy in New York
5. American Tune
6. My Little Town
7. Bridge Over Troubled Water
8. Cecilia
9. The Boxer
10. Leaves That Are Green
11. Bonus Track: Citizen of the Planet

DVD
Act 1
1. Opening Montage (America inst.)
2. Old Friends/Bookends
3. A Hazy Shade of Winter
4. I Am A Rock
5. America
6. At the Zoo
7. Baby Driver
8. Kathy's Song
9. Tom and Jerry Story
10. Hey, Schoolgirl
11. The Everly Brothers Intro
12. Wake Up Little Susie
13. All I Have To Do Is Dream
14. Bye Bye Love (The Everly Brothers with Simon & Garfunkel)
15. Scarborough Fair
16. Homeward Bound
17. The Sound of Silence

Act 2
18. Opening Montage
19. Mrs. Robinson
20. Slip Slidin' Away
21. El Condor Pasa
22. Keep The Customer Satisfied
23. The Only Living Boy in New York
24. American Tune
25. My Little Town
26. Bridge Over Troubled Water
27. Cecilia
28. The Boxer
29. Leaves That Are Green
30. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)

51eGmrbeoHL._SS500_.jpg

Mostly Blues CD

Lionel Hampton

1999 Jazz Heritage

Lionel and Bobby Define "Deep Groove", December 18, 2005
By Samuel Chell (Kenosha,, WI United States)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

No doubt this unnoticed, out-of-print session is languishing in scattered CD cut-out bins. But if you find a copy, grab it up--in fact, better make it several. Along with Hamp's fabled "Stardust" Concert (1947) this late Hampton entry deserves a place in anybody's record collection. "Mostly Blues" is a moody, mesmerizing session that hits an uncharacteristic groove for Lionel--more modern than swing era, more simmering than sizzling, more seductive than showy. Hampton goes for a Milt Jackson slow-vibrato sound and lets up on the technique and showmanship. Deserving an equal amount of credit is pianist Bobby Scott, heard here for one of the last times before cancer led to his premature death. He's an exceptional, hard-swinging, "blowing" piano player, and he makes the most of each of his turns, contributing solos that are gritty, incisive, always high-spirited--a perfect complement to the more deliberate and delayed attack of the vibes. And as for his comping, the man's a veritable funk machine, a combination of Horace Silver's chord voicings and Bernard Purdie's infectious beat.

Tracks 4 and 5 are pure "riffin' and groovin'" on E-flat blues. No solos to speak of--just Lionel and Bobby dancing around and with each other, steppin', struttin', and gliding on the smooth floor wax laid down by Bob Cranshaw and Grady Tate. As for the "real" tunes--"Someday My Prince Will Come," "A Train," "Honeysuckle Rose," "Bye Bye Blues," "Limehouse Blues" (neither of the latter technically a blues)--these guys are so steeped in the elemental 12-bar form that even the "standards" sound like basic blues.

Finally, reserve some praise for the recording engineer on this date. Maybe I've simply been listening to too many Rudy Van Gelder recordings lately, but "Mostly Blues" strikes me as exemplary for its acoustic depth and spaciousness. You are literally in the same room with the musicians, positioned close to the vibes and conscious of the location of each player. Even the sound of the bass (both acoustic and electric) is balanced and natural.

This may not be the kind of music that immediately arrests your attention (it's likely to get to your feet before your head), but after playing the CD many times, I can testify that it's simply incapable of wearing out its welcome.

Track listing

1. Bye Bye Blues
2. Someday My Prince Will Come
3. Take the 'A' Train
4. Blues for Jazz Beaux
5. Walkin' Uptown
6. Honeysuckle Rose
7. Mostly Blues
8. Limehouse Blues
9. Gone with the Wind

51X32x93RyL._SS500_.jpg

The Legendary Oscar Peterson Trio Live at the Blue Note -- CD :text-bravo:

Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Bobby Durham (ahhh....Trio? :? )

1990 Telarc Jazz

Amazon.com essential recording

This 1990 recording reunites Oscar Peterson's nonpareil 1950s trio of Ray Brown and Herb Ellis, fleshing out the lineup with drummer Bobby Durham from the great pianist's '60s group. Though all the principals were in their sixties at the time of the recording, their performances are as tight and fleet as ever, with Ellis sounding especially inspired. The ballads "I Remember You," "A Child Is Born," and "Tenderly" demonstrate their mature, melodic empathy, while "Honeysuckle Rose" and "Sweet Georgia Brown" are the type of barn burners for which Peterson and company were famous. --Rick Mitchell

1. Introductions
2. Honeysuckle Rose
3. Let There Be Love
4. Peace For South Africa
5. Sushi
6. I Remember You/A Child Is Born/Tenderly
7. Sweet Georgia Brown
8. Blues For Big Scotia

a2abeb6709a05c887ed04110.L.jpg

SuperBass -- 20 Bit CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Ray Brown with John Clayton & Christian McBride

1997 Telarc Jazz
A meeting of giants, May 23, 2001
By Will Weidman (Bedminster, NJ United States)
What can I say? These CD features two of my favorite bass players, Ray Brown and Christian McBride, and John Clayton, whom I haven't previously heard of but is definately deserving of sharing the stage with these two.

These guys are swinging throughout the recording, and you can tell that they're having a good time. Ray Brown is one of the best bass players alive. He unbelievably solid, knows his instrument inside out, and he has a very warm tone. McBride has a very fresh, energetic, and recognizable sound. He is very innovative with his bass lines, and his solos always blow me away. Clayton is also especially talented and is very skilled with the bow as well.

The CD also has a great mix of tunes. Blue Monk is a great tune and nicely features all three bassists. Brown Funk, composed by McBride for Ray, is always fun to listen to. The trio plays Mack the Knife, showing what they can do with a standard tune. There is even Lullabye of Birdland featuring some lyrical bowing.

This is an essential recording for any bass player, and I also highly recommend it for any jazz fan.

Tracklisting:

1.SuperBass Theme
2.Blue Monk
3.Bye Bye Blackbird
4.Lullaby of Birdland
5.Who Cares?
6.Mack the Knife
7.Centerpiece
8.Sculler Blues
9.Brown Funk (For Ray)
10.SuperBass Theme

B0000033CD.01_SL75_.jpg

A Jazz date with Chris Connor/Chris Craft CD

Chris Connor

1958/1994 Atlantic Records

Classic Chris, July 7, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Jazz Date With Chris Connor & Chris Craft (Audio CD)

"A Jazz Date" was Chris' third album for Atlantic, delayed repeatedly while her 2-LP Gershwin set was first released, then her hit-single inspired "I Miss You So" set. "Jazz Date" was followed shortly by "Chris Craft." Besides their wonderful covers, the albums are very different--"Jazz Date" more brassy and crisp, "Chris Craft" more mellow and dreamy. The song selections are impeccable and Chris' delivery intriguing, endlessly listenable and 40 years after the fact still contemporary. The best musicians back her in two topnotch albums sounding better than ever on C.D.

Track listing

1. Moonray
2. Poor Little Rich Girl
3. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)
4. Fancy Free
5. It's a Most Unusual Day
6. All I Need Is You
7. It Only Happens When I Dance with You
8. Lonely Town
9. Ev'rything I've Got
10. Driftwood
11. I'm Shooting High
12. My Shining Hour
13. Moonlight in Vermont
14. Blow, Gabriel, Blow
15. Here Lies Love
16. Be a Clown
17. Good for Nothin' But Love
18. On the First Warm Day
19. Chinatown, My Chinatown
20. One Love Affair
21. Night We Called It a Day, The
22. Johnny One Note
23. Lover Man
24. Be My All

b518c060ada0b8288f2da110.L.jpg

All Things Must Pass -- Remastered 2 CD Box Set :text-bravo:

George Harrison

1970/2001 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

It's hard to imagine, but Beatles resident mystic George Harrison has arguably become the band's most curmudgeonly cynic. We offer as evidence this splendidly remastered 30th-anniversary edition of his 1970 multidisc solo epic. If the mini-boxed set's booklet and twin inner CD sleeves won't convince you (the album's familiar cover is colorized and altered to include backdrops of a freeway-tangled cityscape and nuclear reactor cooling towers, respectively), then maybe his liner-note apology for Phil Spector's "big production" (kind of like Da Vinci grousing about Mona's crooked smile) or his laconic, stripped-down, 2000 rethink of "My Sweet Lord" will. With such a mindset, it's unsurprising Harrison has allowed a nearly decade-and-a-half gap to grow between recordings. Still, no amount of grumpy auto-revisionism can subtract from the admittedly overwrought majesty of these tracks, which were the logical sonic extension of Abbey Road. It remains Harrison's unequaled masterpiece. The devolved "My Sweet Lord" aside, the bonus tracks here offer new insight: the unreleased "I Live for You" further highlights the album's oft overlooked country facet; spare takes of "Beware of Darkness" and "Let It Down" underscore the strength of Harrison's songwriting; an alternate backing track of "What Is Life" demonstrates the meticulousness of Spector's production. And then there's the project's truly stellar session lineup, which included Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Klaus Voorman, Jim Gordon, Dave Mason, Badfinger, Billy Preston, Ginger Baker, Carl Radle, Gary Brooker, Jim Price, Bobby Keys, Pete Drake and, it turns out, even Phil Collins! --Jerry McCulley
2001 remaster

All songs written and composed by George Harrison, except where noted.
Disc One
No. Title Notes Length
1. "I'd Have You Anytime" (George Harrison/Bob Dylan) 2:56
2. "My Sweet Lord" 4:38
3. "Wah-Wah" 5:35
4. "Isn't It a Pity (Version 1)" 7:09
5. "What Is Life" 4:22
6. "If Not for You" (Bob Dylan) 3:29
7. "Behind That Locked Door" 3:05
8. "Let It Down" 4:57
9. "Run of the Mill" 2:49
10. "I Live for You" New backing vocals and instrumentation from George and Dhani in 2000, alongside Pete Drake's 1970 steel guitar 3:35
11. "Beware of Darkness" An acoustic run-through of the song recorded on 27 May 1970 3:19
12. "Let It Down" An acoustic run-through of the song recorded on 27 May 1970, with overdubbing added in 2000 3:54
13. "What Is Life" An early mix of the song's backing track on 9 August 1970 with piccolo trumpet and oboe 4:27
14. "My Sweet Lord (2000)" A re-working of the original recording with new overdubs in 2000, including new lead and backing vocals from George and Sam Brown 4:57
Disc Two
No. Title Notes Length
1. "Beware of Darkness" 3:48
2. "Apple Scruffs" 3:04
3. "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)" 3:46
4. "Awaiting on You All" 2:45
5. "All Things Must Pass" 3:44
6. "I Dig Love" 4:55
7. "Art Of Dying" 3:37
8. "Isn't It a Pity (Version 2)" 4:45
9. "Hear Me Lord" 5:46
10. "It's Johnny's Birthday" Based upon "Congratulations" - Martin/Coulter 0:49
11. "Plug Me In" Gordon/Radle/Whitlock/Clapton/Mason/Harrison 3:18
12. "I Remember Jeep" Baker/Voormann/Preston/Clapton/Harrison 8:07
13. "Thanks for the Pepperoni" Gordon/Radle/Whitlock/Clapton/Mason/Harrison 5:31
14. "Out of the Blue" Gordon/Radle/Whitlock/Clapton/Wright/Harrison/Price/Keys/Aronowitz 11:16

51hShTScoWL._SS400_.jpg

Another Stoney Evening DVD-A

David Crosby - Graham Nash

2002 DTS Music

Excellent Chamber-Folk, Crosby & Nash Style, March 19, 2008
By Blue Coronet (east coast)
(VINE VOICE)
Another Stoney Evening is an amazing recording, which I was lucky enough to purchase while it was still in-print. With all the C&N/CSN/CSNY live tapes from the 1969-1975 era, this is the only live acoustic recording to surface besides the acoustic songs on FOUR WAY STREET. Taken largely from IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME, SONGS FOR BEGINNERS, and CROSBY/NASH, Another Stony Evening features live versions of Where Will I Be, Orleans, Stranger's Room", Traction in the Rain, Laughing, and much more. I saw these guys in a Standing Room Only concert in 1973, and again in 1976 and 1993. Their friendship and fine music shined through each time, as it does on this recording.

51U9tdVKEmL._SS400_.jpg

613UoIC17UL.jpg

Bridge Over Troubled Water -- Remastered CD

Simon & Garfunkel

1970/2001 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com essential recording

No one can say Simon & Garfunkel went out with a whimper. The popular duo's 1970 swan song produced four hit singles and won six Grammy awards, including Record, Album, and Song of the Year. An involving mix of sweeping epics ("The Boxer," the title track) and breezy throwaways (a live cover of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love," the rock & roll trifle "Baby Driver"), Bridge was one of the most popular albums of its era. What's particularly striking about this collection is how brightly lesser-acclaimed songs like "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright" and the gorgeous "The Only Living Boy in New York" shine. (The 2001 reissue adds a pair of demos to the original work, including the traditional "Feuilles-O.")--Steven Stolder

All songs by Paul Simon except where noted.
Side 1

1. "Bridge over Troubled Water" – 4:52
Recorded: November 9, 1969 [3]
2. "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles, English lyrics by Paul Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:06
Recorded: November 2, 1969
3. "Cecilia" – 2:55
Recorded: November 2, 1969
4. "Keep the Customer Satisfied" – 2:33
Recorded: October 27, 1969
5. "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" – 3:41
Recorded: October 28, 1969

Side 2

1. "The Boxer" – 5:08
Recorded: November 16, 1968
2. "Baby Driver" – 3:14
Recorded: November 19, 1968
3. "The Only Living Boy in New York" – 3:58
Recorded: November 15, 1969
4. "Why Don't You Write Me" – 2:45
Recorded: June 13, 1969
5. "Bye Bye Love" (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) (live recording from Ames, Iowa) – 2:55
Recorded: November 14, 1969
6. "Song for the Asking" – 1:49
Recorded: November 1, 1969

Bonus tracks (2001 CD reissue)

1. "Feuilles-O" [Demo] (Traditional) – 1:45
Recorded: August 11, 1969
2. "Bridge over Troubled Water" [Demo Take 6] – 4:46
Recorded: August 13, 1969

8a2a228348a01b51d6577110.L.jpg

Excusez - Moi -- CD

Peter White

1992 Sin-Drome Records

Perhaps The Best Album by Peter White, November 30, 2009
By Abbey (Danville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Excusez-Moi (Audio CD)

Although this is an older album, it is probably one of the best albums by Peter White. I have several of his albums and this one is my favorite. This album is out of print, but can be purchased used. Highly recommended for the Peter White fan and anyone who enjoys jazz-guitar.

77c3f0f9e7a0031241288110.L.jpg

416BX2AS2KL._SS500_.jpg

The Living Room Tour 2 CD Set

Carole King

2005 Rockingale Records

Amazon.com

The Living Room Tour, a live double disc named for its spare instrumentation, arrives so well coated in the Hall of Famer's particular brand of populist, listener-loving pixie dust you half expect it to leave a glowing, sticky residue on your fingers. Radiating the maternal warmth and honesty that translated Tapestry into a 25-million seller, King sprawls comfortably (aided, probably, by the couches and coffee tables hauled onstage for these shows) into favorites like "Jazzman," "So Far Away," and "I Feel the Earth Move." Older songs made famous by other artists, including "Take Good Care of My Baby," "One Fine Day," and "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," get an unfortunate, yet effective, slice-and-dice medley treatment. Carole King devotees won't find a lot of reviews that overlook the minor vocal flaws on this latest outing, but a barrel of bum notes couldn't keep the 63-year-old legend from connecting with an audience. The intimacy-to-the-masses approach of this tour suits the early-'70s earth mother material best, and intermingled with a few recent songs, the mix soothes, reassures, and satisfies. If you haven't listened to King in a while, it's not too late, baby. --Tammy La Gorce
Disc one

1. "Welcome To My Living Room" – 1:58
2. "Peace in the Valley" – 3:42
3. "Love Makes the World" (King, Sam Hollander, Dave Schommer) – 4:23
4. "Now and Forever" – 3:18
5. "Where You Lead I Will Follow" (King, Toni Stern) – 3:24
* Duet with her daughter, Louise Goffin
6. "Lay Down My Life" – 4:20
7. "Jazzman" (King, Dave Palmer)– 4:00
8. "Smackwater Jack" (Gerry Goffin, King)– 4:12
9. "Wishful Thinking" – 4:12
10. "Medley: "Take Good Care of My Baby/"It Might As Well Rain Until September"/"Go Away Little Girl"/"I'm into Something Good"/"Hey Girl"/"One Fine Day"/"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (Goffin, King) – 8:39

Disc two

1. "Loving You Forever" (King, (Gary Burr) – 3:32
2. "It's Too Late" (King, Stern) – 5:22
3. "So Far Away" – 4:52
4. "Sweet Seasons" (King, Stern) – 3:21
5. "Chains" (Goffin, King) – 4:09
6. "Pleasant Valley Sunday" (Goffin, King) – 3:45
7. "Being At War With Each Other" – 4:05
8. "I Feel The Earth Move" – 4:04
9. "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (Goffin, King, Jerry Wexler)– 3:58
* Duet with her daughter, Sherry Goffin Kondor.
10. "You've Got a Friend" – 5:32
11. "The Locomotion" (Goffin, King) – 3:38

Back