• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

One of my very favorites........ :text-bravo:

41rzZW9SN9L._SS400_.jpg

51EYPAlF4kL._SS400_.jpg

Zing said:

Listening to this one now. I like it! Ok it's not quite my usual style as I'm not that into funk in general, but this one is interesting, with good music and great players/singers. It's very well done.

Edit: I do wish he had a real drummer though, not just a drum synth... thankfully he has a real piano, which as we all know is more important anyway! :eusa-whistle:

51AUy37bOwL._SS500_.jpg

Ok this one is very cool. Yeah, good recording. But musically there's some fascinating stuff here outside of traditional jazz, esp. the "Fragmented Suite." I love it!

The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9)

[ released ~ 2010 ]

51wVyxSBvUL._SS500_.jpg

Product Description
The Witmark Demos features 47 Bob Dylan songs recorded by the artist – accompanied only by his acoustic guitar, harmonica and occasionally piano – for his first music publisher, Leeds Music, in January 1962, and for his second publisher, M. Witmark & Sons, between 1962 and 1964. Listening to these recordings, one can trace Dylan’s dramatic growth as a songwriter from early traditionally-styled songs like “Man On The Street” and “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Willie” through the social commentary of “Blowin’ In The Wind, “The Times They Are A Changin’” and “Masters Of War”, and the groundbreaking lyrical genius of “Mr. Tambourine Man.” All of these songs, and all the others on The Witmark Demos, were written – and their subsequent demos recorded – before Bob Dylan turned 24 years old.

Among the many gems found on The Witmark Demos are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive“Ballad For A Friend,” the civil rights era-inspired “Long Ago, Far Away” and “The Death Of Emmett Till,” and the poignant “Guess I’m Doing Fine.”

The Witmark Demos also features a deluxe booklet featuring in-depth liner notes by noted music historian Colin Escott, as well as rare photographs of Bob Dylan captured during the same period as these early recordings.

I don't own any of the other Volumes of this series.

All I can say about this one is, "A winner."

:handgestures-thumbup:

topper said:
The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9)

[ released ~ 2010 ]

51wVyxSBvUL._SS500_.jpg

Product Description
The Witmark Demos features 47 Bob Dylan songs recorded by the artist – accompanied only by his acoustic guitar, harmonica and occasionally piano – for his first music publisher, Leeds Music, in January 1962, and for his second publisher, M. Witmark & Sons, between 1962 and 1964. Listening to these recordings, one can trace Dylan’s dramatic growth as a songwriter from early traditionally-styled songs like “Man On The Street” and “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Willie” through the social commentary of “Blowin’ In The Wind, “The Times They Are A Changin’” and “Masters Of War”, and the groundbreaking lyrical genius of “Mr. Tambourine Man.” All of these songs, and all the others on The Witmark Demos, were written – and their subsequent demos recorded – before Bob Dylan turned 24 years old.

Among the many gems found on The Witmark Demos are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive“Ballad For A Friend,” the civil rights era-inspired “Long Ago, Far Away” and “The Death Of Emmett Till,” and the poignant “Guess I’m Doing Fine.”

The Witmark Demos also features a deluxe booklet featuring in-depth liner notes by noted music historian Colin Escott, as well as rare photographs of Bob Dylan captured during the same period as these early recordings.

I don't own any of the other Volumes of this series.

All I can say about this one is, "A winner."

:handgestures-thumbup:
Nice choice Topper!

I own about 4 or 5 of the "Bootleg" series and I enjoy them all!

Thanks for posting that new one, I think I will add it to my wishlist.

Dennie

BTW, Happy Veterans Day my friend and thanks for serving! It means the world to me! :eusa-clap:

Dennie

This one arrived yesterday.......

51aFaoBsLvL._SS500_.jpg

Sextet -- SACD

Cal Tjader/Stan Getz

1958/2004 Fantasy Records

Stan and Cal work well together, December 5, 2005
By Bomojaz (South Central PA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stan Getz with Cal Tjader (Audio CD)

It's unusual to find Stan Getz recording on the Fantasy label in 1958, when these sides were made, getting second billing no less. He could thank his boss Norman Granz for that, though, who "loaned" Getz to Fantasy to record with Tjader "for a fee." Ah, well. It didn't seem to bother Stan, however, because he plays marvelously on the date. (Maybe having just heard that he won the Down Beat and Metronome polls again further inspired him.)

Tjader is an excellent vibes player who specialized in Latin jazz. He and Stan do some of their best playing on the up-tempo samba GINZA SAMBA. LIZ-ANNE, a Tjader composition, is a medium-up waltz that swings nicely, with good solos by Stan and Cal. Guitarist Eddie Duran has a well-developed solo on CROWS NEST, a medium-up blues, and Getz is at his prettiest on I'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE. The seldom heard MY BUDDY gets a nice relaxed treatment that makes you want to hear it more frequently. This is a great album, relaxed and swinging, and containing excellent tune choices. Definitely worth checking out.

Track Listing

1. Ginza Samba
2. I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face
3. For All We Know
4. Crow’s Nest
5. Liz-Anne
6. Big Bear
7. My Buddy

Stan Getz
Cal Tjader
Vince Guaraldi
Eddie Duran
Scott LaFaro
Billy Higgins

:text-offtopic:

Dennie wrote:
"BTW, Happy Veterans Day my friend and thanks for serving! It means the world to me!"

And to you as well, brother. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

And the best to all the generations of valor

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

>

topper said:
:text-offtopic:

Dennie wrote:
"BTW, Happy Veterans Day my friend and thanks for serving! It means the world to me!"

And to you as well, brother. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

And the best to all the generations of valor

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

>
:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :text-thankyoublue:

61A9knAmb1L._SS500_.jpg

First Time!: The Count Meets The Duke -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Duke Ellington and Count Basie

1961/2008 Columbia Records

Amazon.com essential recording

The two greatest big bands in jazz history side by side on your headphones: What can be more glorious? If, as Billy Strayhorn said, Duke Ellington's band was his instrument, then this 1961 session finds Ellington and Count Basie "trading fours," as it were. The composer credits and solo space are divided democratically, to say the least--four songs from Duke's camp, four from Basie's. The sparring between soloists of both bands is a pure delight, especially the gentle conversations between the two leaders-pianists, who finish each other's thoughts as if all four hands were attached to one unified torso. Highlights include two engaging new Duke compositions--the blistering opener "Battle Royal" and the impulsive "Wild Man"--and the closing Basie chestnut "Jumpin' at the Woodside," on which the lead tenors Frank Foster and Paul Gonsalves engage in ferocious dueling. Amazingly, there is no toe-stepping amid the rousing interplay. --Marc Greilsamer

1. "Battle Royal" - 5:33
2. "To You" (Benny Davis, Tommy Dorsey, Thad Jones, Ted Shapiro) - 3:53
3. "Take the "A" Train (Billy Strayhorn) - 3:46
4. "Corner Pocket" [aka "Until I Met You"] (Freddie Green, Donald Wolf) - 4:53
5. "Wild Man" [aka "Wild Man Moore"] - 6:20
6. "Segue in C" (Frank Wess) - 8:22
7. "B D B" (Ellington, Strayhorn) - 4:43
8. "Jumpin' at the Woodside" (Count Basie) - 3:09
9. "One More Once" - 3:25 Bonus track on CD reissue
10. "Take the "A" Train" [alternate take] (Strayhorn) - 5:50 Bonus track on CD reissue
11. "Jumpin' at the Woodside" [alternate take] (Basie) - 3:14 Bonus track on CD reissue
12. "B D B" [alternate take] (Ellington, Strayhorn) - 4:30 Bonus track on CD reissue
13. "Blues in Hoss' Flat" (Basie, Frank Foster) - 3:13 Bonus track on CD reissue
14. "Wild Man" [alternate take] - 5:55 Bonus track on CD reissue
15. "Battle Royal" [alternate take] - 6:32 Bonus track on CD reissue

PaulyT said:
51AUy37bOwL._SS500_.jpg

Ok this one is very cool. Yeah, good recording. But musically there's some fascinating stuff here outside of traditional jazz, esp. the "Fragmented Suite." I love it!
Nice Choice Pauly!

Dennie

b6af53a09da05ea1c98d4110.L.jpg

Like Minds -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Roy Haynes and Dave Holland

1998 Concord Records

Amazon.com

Vibist Gary Burton has been collaborating with pianist Chick Corea and guitarist Pat Metheny since the mid-'70s, and it shows. The three have a strong intuitive sense of each other's lines and sound and can enhance the music in myriad, subtle ways. Having a great rhythm section doesn't hurt either, and bassist Dave Holland and drummer Roy Haynes are two of the very best. On Like Minds they have created an excellent CD: a no-frills, straight-ahead jazz album, crisply recorded, full of energy and imagination. With the exception of the George Gershwin piece, "Soon," the disc features all original compositions, with considerable thought given to distinguishing each soloist despite the surface similarity of their nimble, bouncy styles. Like minds, perhaps, but each possesses a singular voice and the ability to merge it creatively with others. --Wally Shoup

1. "Question and Answer" (Metheny) – 6:24
2. "Elucidation" (Metheny) – 5:21
3. "Windows" (Corea) – 6:17
4. "Futures" (Corea) – 10:41
5. "Like Minds" (Burton) – 5:50
6. "Country Roads" (Burton) – 6:26
7. "Tears of Rain" (Metheny) – 6:33
8. "Soon" (Gershwin) – 6:24
9. "For a Thousand Years" (Metheny) – 5:23
10. "Straight Up and Down" (Corea) – 9:02

Total time: 68:25

df07341ae3e3e634f8551442499db619.jpg

Parallel Realities -- CD

Jack Dejohnette

1998 MCA Records

This 1990 release is one of DeJohnette's finest. A trio recording, PARALLEL REALITIES showcases the talents of Herbie Hancock and Pat Metheny, as well as the highly acclaimed drummer. All three of these players should require no formal introduction to jazz aficionados. However, first time listeners will be impressed by the playing ability of these three jazz icons. Tracks such as "Jack In" and "Dancing" display, strikingly, the improvisational skill of these three performers. On the latter, Hancock and Metheny solo, employing both a lyrical sensitivity, and a superlative ability to navigate their way around complex chord progressions; use of fast flourishes and melodic whispers dot their elegant performances.
Surprisingly, the lack of bass does not affect the feel of the music. DeJohnette plays keyboard bass to add bottom, as it were, to the sound. He also layers additional keyboards adding texture and timbral variety to the music. Along different lines, DeJohnette's drumming is less active than usual. However, he never comes across bland or restrained, simply naturally relaxed and introspective. Sometimes understated, sometimes forthright, this album is as intriguing as it is virtuosic.

Track listing

Jack In 6:23
Exotic Isles 6:21
Dancing 7:40
Nine Over Reggae 7:27
John McKee 8:12
Indigo Dreamscapes 6:46
Parallel Realities 11:10
Line-up / Musicians

Drums, Producer - Jack DeJohnette
Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Synthesizer [Synclavier], Producer - Pat Metheny
Keyboards [Additional], Saxophone - Herbie Hancock (tracks: 7)
Keyboards [Keyboard Bass] - Pat Metheny (tracks: 5, 7)
Keyboards [Keyboard Bass], Composed By - Jack DeJohnette (tracks: 1, 2, 4, 6)
Piano - Herbie Hancock

33a981b0c8a0df2ea9ad9110.L.jpg

Straight Life -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Freddie Hubbard

1970 Concord Records

Slammin'..., February 24, 2006
By B. Bowman "Double B" (Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Straight Life (Audio CD)

This is one of the most hard hitting jazz albums I've ever heard. The band assembled for "Straight Life" pretty much explains why: Joe Henderson on sax, George Benson on guitar, Herbie Hancock on piano/keyboards, Ron Carter on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. (Weldon Irvine is even given credit for playing tambourine!). Almost everyone that plays on this album had recorded with Miles Davis at some time or another, and Freddie Hubbard ended up with a monster of an album in incorporating all that talent into one group. The seventeen minute title track is awesome; all the instrumentalists are in top form and turn in inspired solos. Joe Henderson in particular blew me away on this song. His solos are ridiculous here; I have some of his solo stuff and his playing on those discs doesn't compare to how he played here. George Benson also is a standout with his creative solo and occasional flurries of notes. Jack DeJohnette lays down a solid beat throughout. "Mr Clean" was written by Weldon Irvine (also worth checking out is Irvine's own version from the album "Liberated Brother", if you can find a copy) and continues the rapid fire soloing and mood of track one. Hubbard's playing throughout this song is fluid and fiery. "Here's That Rainy Day" slows things down but ends the album on a pleasant note. This was one of the first CD's by Freddie Hubbard that I ever got and has remained one of my favorites. If you are a fan of jazz in any form I can't recommend this disc enough.

1. "Straight Life" - 17:30
2. "Mr. Clean" - 13:37
3. "Here's That Rainy Day" - 5:17

* Freddie Hubbard - Trumpet, Flugelhorn
* Joe Henderson - Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone
* Herbie Hancock - Electric Piano
* Ron Carter - Bass
* Jack DeJohnette - drums
* George Benson - Guitar
* Richard Landrum - Drums, Percussion
* Weldon Irvine - Tabla, Tambourine

aeb14310fca0236817008010.L.jpg

The Real McCoy -- CD(+LP) :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

McCoy Tyner

1967/2008 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

This 1967 quartet was McCoy Tyner's first for Blue Note as a leader, although he had frequently recorded as a sideman for the label--with Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson, and Grant Green, among others. One of the last recordings produced by Blue Note founder Alfred Lion, and Tyner's first as a leader since leaving the legendary John Coltrane Quartet two years before, the session has a special quality. There's something of the Blue Note sound to the group's concentrated intensity, perhaps Lion's contribution as well as engineer Rudy Van Gelder's, while Tyner, a more conservative musician than Coltrane, was integrating the modal and expressionist forms of the Coltrane quartet into more tightly defined compositional patterns. In tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, Tyner found a true peer, another musician with a strong identity whose style represented a similar amalgam of conventional and innovative elements. Together with drummer Elvin Jones, and bassist Ron Carter, they both reassert the hard-bop mainstream with "Four by Five" and the deep blues of "Blues on the Corner" and extend it with the heightened solemnity of "Search for Peace" and the brilliant rhythmic interplay of "Passion Dance." --Stuart Broomer

1. "Passion Dance" – 8:44
2. "Contemplation" – 9:10
3. "Four by Five" – 6:33
4. "Search for Peace" – 6:27
5. "Blues on the Corner" – 5:58

All compositions by McCoy Tyner

* Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, April 21, 1967

* McCoy Tyner: piano
* Joe Henderson: tenor saxophone
* Ron Carter: bass
* Elvin Jones: drums

61H6Hvcpq5L.jpg

Things Ain't What They Used To Be -- CD :handgestures-thumbup:

Duke Ellington

1996 LaserLight Digital

Recorded in Europe in 1966 and 1969.
By the '60s, Ellington was quite the international citizen. Loved all over the globe, he maintained a rigorous worldwide touring schedule. The music of other cultures, especially European, often found its way into his music. It's no surprise, then, that he sounds perfectly at home on these late-'60s live set from Rome. As was his wont throughout his career, he explores new vistas on many of his familar tunes--"Sophisticated Lady," "Satin Doll," "Caravan," etc. He also delves into African rhythms countered by classically-derived harmonic concepts on "La Plus Belle Africane" and swings without mercy on "Smada." Wherever he performed, Duke's wide-ranging music always sounded like it was in the right place.

Track listing

1. Smada
2. La Plus Belle Africane
3. Azure
4. Satin Doll
5. Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue
6. Caravan
7. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
8. Sophisticated Lady
9. In a Sentimental Mood
10. Unknown, The

978e9833e7a0187bdc053110.L.jpg

Brothers In Arms -- 20th Anniversary Edition SACD :text-bravo:

Dire Straits

2005 Mercury Records (Import)

Featured in Kalman Rubinson's Music in the Round in the January 2006 issue of Stereophile!

2006 Grammy Award Winner for Best Surround Sound Album!

Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits, one of the best known rock albums of the '80s and one of the most sought after rock albums for a Surround Sound edition, is now available on 5.1 Super Audio CD! Brothers In Arms features 9 songs written by Knopfler, including one that was co-written by Sting who provides guest vocals on the album as well. It was originally released in 1985 and this SACD marks the albums 20th Anniversary. The SACD of Brothers In Arms follows last year's release of Knopfler's most recent album entitled Shangri-La in Surround Sound SACD and DVD-A + CD Double Disc.

Propelled by Mark Knopfler's literate songs, gruff vocals, and spidery guitar work, Dire Straits had overcome initial skepticism for their resistance to '70s new wave accents in favor of their rootsy traditionalism. This 1985 album captures the band consolidating a far more epic style than the concise shuffles and ballads that the original scrappy quartet had reeled off, their ambitions fueled by the larger canvas afforded by the compact disc. One of the first albums to exploit the format's longer playing time, Brothers in Arms was initially released in separate versions for CD/cassette and edited LP, and the band became digital poster boys on a world tour sponsored by CD hardware interests.

Critics that had once warmed to the band sniffed at the marketing, but the album remains their best known, noteworthy for the MTV staple "Money for Nothing" and the breezy rock shuffle "Walk of Life," as well as for the wistful "So Far Away," the plot-driven narratives of "Ride Across the River," and the title song of course. The album is an amazing mix of styles and moods, but produced without a fault all the way through. This was the showpiece album for this group of hard working musicians, and proved Mark Knopfler one of the worlds greatest guitarists. And now for the 20th anniversary of the album we get a limited edition SACD version that sounds incredible and reeks of sonic integrity.

Features:
• 20th Anniversary Edition
• Re-Mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound

Selections:
1. So Far Away
2. Money For Nothing
3. Walk of Life
4. Your Latest Trick
5. Why Worry
6. Ride Across the River
7. The Man's Too Strong
8. One World
9. Brothers In Arms

I've had relatives in town for the last couple of days. :eusa-clap:

They are now gone.......ahhhhh! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

4b0953a09da06bba8a4c5110.L.jpg

Dusty In Memphis -- Deluxe Edition CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Dusty Springfield

1999 Rhino Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Dusty Springfield never claimed to be a soul singer, but Dusty in Memphis effects a unique and deeply moving synthesis of her brand of stylish pop and the Southern R&B of the late '60s. Her soft tones and hushed, confessional readings make for definitive versions of everything from "Son of a Preacher Man" (a later version by Aretha Franklin is good but less thrillingly sensual than this one) to Randy Newman's ballads "I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" and "Just One Smile" to a swirling take on "The Windmills of Your Mind." The soul obscurity "Breakfast in Bed" even gives a knowing spin to a line from an earlier Springfield classic: "You don't have to say you love me." This expanded edition features vastly improved sound and a number of bonus tracks not on the earlier CD. --Rickey Wright

Side A

1. "Just a Little Lovin'" (Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil) – 2:18
2. "So Much Love" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 3:31
3. "Son of a Preacher Man" (John Hurley, Ronnie Wilkins) – 2:29
4. "I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" (Randy Newman) – 3:11
5. "Don't Forget About Me" (Goffin, King) – 2:52
6. "Breakfast in Bed" (Eddie Hinton, Donnie Fritts) – 2:57

Side B

1. "Just One Smile" (Randy Newman) – 2:42
2. "The Windmills of Your Mind" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand) – 3:51
3. "In the Land of Make Believe" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 2:32
4. "No Easy Way Down" (Goffin, King) – 3:11
5. "I Can't Make It Alone" (Goffin, King) – 3:57

Bonus tracks 1999 Deluxe Edition, Rhino Records US

1. "What Do You Do When Love Dies" (with orchestral overdubs) (Mary Unobsky, Donna Weiss) – 2:42
2. "Willie & Laura Mae Jones" (Tony Joe White) – 2:49
3. "That Old Sweet Roll (Hi-De-Ho)" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 2:59
4. "Cherished" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 2:38
5. "Goodbye" (Roland Chambers, Leonard Pakula) – 2:33
* First UK release: compilation Classics And Collectables, 2007
6. "Make It With You" (David Gates) – 3:12
* First UK release: 4 CD boxed set Simply Dusty, 2000
7. "Love Shine Down" (not credited) – 2:22
8. "Live Here With You" (Gilbert Slavin, Michael F. Soles) – 2:44
9. "Natchez Trace" (Neil Brian Goldberg, Gilbert Slavin) – 2:58
10. "All the King's Horses" (not credited) – 3:10
11. "I'll Be Faithful" (Stereo) (Ned W. Albright, Michael F. Soles, Steven Soles) – 3:01
* First release (mono): Rhino's 1992 re-issue of A Brand New Me. First UK release: compilation Classics And Collectables, 2007
12. "Have a Good Life Baby" (not credited) – 3:09
* First UK release: 2002 re-issue of See All Her Faces
13. "You've Got a Friend" (Carole King) – 5:28
14. "I Found My Way" a.k.a. "I Found My Way Through The Darkness" (Gilbert Slavin, Michael F. Soles) – 3:12

Back