• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

493eb05bcb227

AstrudGilbertoTheShadowOfYourSmile.jpg

The Shadow Of Your Smile

Astrud Gilberto

1965 Verve Records

1. "The Shadow of Your Smile" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) – 2:31
2. "(Take Me to) Aruanda" (Norman Gimbel, G. Lyra, G. Vandre) – 2:30
3. "Manhã de Carnaval" (Luiz Bonfá, Antonio Maria) – 1:57
4. "Fly Me to the Moon" (Bart Howard) – 2:22
5. "The Gentle Rain" (Bonfá, M. Duby) – 2:26
6. "Non-Stop to Brazil" (Bonfá, Duby, Gimbel) – 2:27
7. "O Ganso" (Bonfá) – 2:09
8. "Who Can I Turn To? (When Nobody Needs Me)" (Leslie Bricusse, Anthony Newley) – 2:10
9. "Day by Day" (Sammy Cahn, Axel Stordahl, Paul Weston) – 2:09
10. "Tristeza" (Bonfá, Maria Toledo) – 2:23
11. "Funny World" (Alan Brandt, Ennio Morricone) – 2:24

Rope said:
Dennie said:
That's the thing about music. It can take you right back to a time and place! :handgestures-thumbup:

When ever I play "The Stones, Some Girls" album, it takes me back to riding my Schwinn 5 Speed bicycle, to tower records to get it. If memory serves me correctly, it took a couple of weeks of allowance to get it. :doh:

Ahhh, maybe your memory is better! LOL :think:

Dennie

Sting Ray, Banana Peeler, Pea Picker?

Rope

Exactly like this one, except I added the "Springer" front end and a 5' tall "Sissy Bar". Later I added a duel front sprocket with a "10 speed" derailer, to make it a 10 speed. Shortly after that I road it to my local 7-11 to get a Slurpee and when I came out..........it was gone! A Sad Day!
3m03pb3of5Z65U15X0a7vdd7edb4eecf314e0.jpg

This one (in the picture) is actually for sale in Detroit for ........ are you ready.........$475! Darn, I wish I still had mine, I would sell it for $500 with the added extras!

I found one with a "Springer" front end......
images

Dennie

JenniferWarnes.jpg

Jennifer Warnes :handgestures-thumbup:

Jennifer Warnes

1976 Arista Records

1. Love Hurts
2. Round and Round
3. Shine A Light
4. You're the One
5. I'm Dreaming
6. Mama
7. Right Time of the Night (Billboard #4)
8. Bring Ol' Maggie Back Home
9. Don't Lead Me On
10. Daddy Don't Go
11. O God of Loveliness

JenniferWarnesShotThroughTheHeart.jpg

Shot Through The Heart

Jennifer Warnes

1979 Arista Records

Underated female vocalist, April 5, 2002
By D. Moore (Ponca City, OK United States)
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shot Through the Heart (Audio CD)

Jennifer Warnes has had an unusual career. Tremendous success performing duets (Joe Cocker and Bill Medley), very little success as a solo artist. Her music can be a little "quirky", but what original artist isn't. If you like strong female vocalists (like early Ronstadt, Bonoff, Nicolette Larson, Sarah McLachlan, etc.) you will like Jennifer Warnes. I would start with this album or her new album "The Well" although her other albums "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "The Hunter" are also good. This is one of my favorite female singer albums. It's right up there with Carole King "Tapestry" ("Tapestry" is more soulful), Sarah McLachlan's "Surfacing", Karla Bonoff's first two albums or early Ronstadt albums. Buy this album, you won't regret it.

1. "Shot Through the Heart" (Jennifer Warnes) – 4:18
2. "I Know a Heartache When I See One" (Kerry Chater, Charlie Black) – 3:30
3. "Don't Make Me Over" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 4:22
4. "You Remember Me" (Jesse Winchester) – 4:41
5. "Sign on the Window" (Bob Dylan) – 2:46
6. "I'm Restless" (Warnes) – 4:16
7. "Tell Me Just One More Time" (Leo Sayer, Tom Snow) – 2:39
8. "When the Feeling Comes Around" (Rick Cunha) – 3:17
9. "Frankie in the Rain" (Warnes) – 2:49
10. "Hard Times Come Again No More" (Stephen Foster) – 3:34

Thank Goodness I really enjoy listening to music, 'cause I got a lot of it!

Now for.........

JacksonBrownForEveryman.jpg

For Everyman

Jackson Browne

1973 Asylum Records

For Everyman - A Browne Classic!, June 17, 2000
By
NIS (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Everyman (Audio CD)

Before I met a man online in 1996, I had never listened to Jackson Browne. He loved his words and music. We sat for hours chatting online listening simultaneously with headphones to For Everyman. He once said about the song Our Lady of the Well; "that has to be the most beautiful 16 lines of verse I've ever heard." He was right. There is a verse that say's: "Oh it's so far the other way my life has gone." Very poignant words.

"These days I sit on corner stones, and count the time in quarter tones to ten, my friend. Don't confront me with my failures I had not forgotten them" (from "These Days"). I have quoted this verse on my pages within my websites countless times.

The guitar, piano and sage words of Jackson Browne make For Everyman his best album. All too often we shy away from an artists earlier work. To not hear For Everyman would truly be a loss. The Empire thanks RomDog for giving me the best music of my life - Jackson Browne. "Long ago I heard someone say something about Everyman."

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes Browne with 5 stars.

1. Take It Easy (3:39 - Glenn Frey & Jackson Browne)
2. Our Lady Of The Well (3:51 - Browne)
3. Colors Of The Sun (4:26 - Browne)
4. I Thought I Was A Child (3:43 - Browne)
5. These Days (4:41 - Browne)
6. Redneck Friend (3:56 - Browne)
7. The Times You've Come (3:39 - Browne)
8. Ready Or Not (3:33 - Browne)
9. Sing My Songs To Me (3:25 - Browne)
10. For Everyman (6:20 - Browne)

PaulSimonGreatestHitsetc.jpg

Greatest Hits, Etc. :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Paul Simon

1977 Columbia Records

Perfection, May 29, 2009
By
Bornintime (The East Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Greatest Hits, Etc. (Audio CD)

I admit there is a large dose of nostalgia that influences me giving this out of print collection 5 stars. It was the first serious album I acquired at 15 years old. I got it as the main selection from the Columbia Record Club. I played it to death. I guess the reasoning that the record company used in letting this one go out of print is that most of this collection is reissued in the cd release Negotiations And Love Songs. This is why I think that collection is a step down. First it loses 5 great songs from GH Etc: Stranded In A Limousine, Duncan, Take Me To The Mardis Gras, I Do It For Your Love, and American Tune. Second the additional tracks on Negotiations from Hearts and Bones and Graceland sound out of place with these earlier songs. There is a unity with the first collection that is lost in the second. While You Can Call Me Al is a great song I don't think it sits well with Slip Slidin Away. I may have to track down an overpriced used cd or burn my own with the tracks in the original sequence.

1. "Slip Slidin' Away" – 4:43
* Previously unreleased, and a #5 U.S. hit single.
2. "Stranded in a Limousine" – 3:09
* Previously unreleased.
3. "Still Crazy After All These Years" – 3:24
4. "Have a Good Time" – 3:25
5. "Duncan" (live) – 5:03
* Taken from Live Rhymin'.
6. "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" – 2:45
7. "Something So Right" – 4:34

Side 2

1. "Kodachrome" – 3:32
2. "I Do It for Your Love" – 3:35
3. "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" – 3:33
4. "American Tune" (live) – 4:09
* Taken from Live Rhymin'.
5. "Mother and Child Reunion" – 2:50
6. "Loves Me Like a Rock" – 3:28
7. "Take Me to the Mardi Gras" – 3:28

Dennie said:
Rope said:
Dennie said:
That's the thing about music. It can take you right back to a time and place! :handgestures-thumbup:

When ever I play "The Stones, Some Girls" album, it takes me back to riding my Schwinn 5 Speed bicycle, to tower records to get it. If memory serves me correctly, it took a couple of weeks of allowance to get it. :doh:

Ahhh, maybe your memory is better! LOL :think:

Dennie

Sting Ray, Banana Peeler, Pea Picker?

Rope

Exactly like this one, except I added the "Springer" front end and a 5' tall "Sissy Bar". Later I added a duel front sprocket with a "10 speed" derailer, to make it a 10 speed. Shortly after that I road it to my local 7-11 to get a Slurpee and when I came out..........it was gone! A Sad Day!
3m03pb3of5Z65U15X0a7vdd7edb4eecf314e0.jpg

This one (in the picture) is actually for sale in Detroit for ........ are you ready.........$475! Darn, I wish I still had mine, I would sell it for $500 with the added extras!

I found one with a "Springer" front end......
images

Dennie

Wow... you guys sure know your old-school bikes! I've never seen such a strange place for the gear shifter. I have, however, seen banana seats before. As a kid, I used to ride a kick-butt bike that had a picture of a shark on the banana seat. (Called it the "Shark" bike! Also... It had a normal skinny tire in front, but the rear tire was replaced with a fat one with lots of tread, so I'd like to think that it was somehow "customized", right? Nah... it was junk.) Kept it at my grandparents and the bike was sold years ago when they auctioned off the farm.

I've always liked this album cover....

DenniesPhotos141.jpg

In Case You're In Love :text-bravo:

Sonny & Cher

1967 ATCO Records (Mono)

This is an exciting pop lp ,creative and up-beat in tone, September 1, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: In Case You're in Love (Audio CD)

In Case You're in Love has many origional Bono compositions,including the pan-european "Little Man", and the gypsy-like "Love Don't Come". "The Beat Goes On", a top 10 hit in 1967, has become a signature anthem of the flower-power years. There is a nice cover of Bob Linds' "Cheryl's Goin' Home", and a sweet Cher vocal on "We'll Sing in the Sunshine", a Gale Garnett hit.The harmonies are well done and the production more varied and fresh than they were in " The Wondrous World of Sonny and Cher". It has been said that this lp contained out-takes, and was inferior because of it. The truth is, that the material regardless of its' orgin is superior songs and arrangements. This cd stands the time test and is good "pop" music!

Side A

1. "The Beat Goes On" (Sonny Bono) - 3:23
2. "Groovy Kind Of Love" (Carole Bayer Sager, Toni Wine) - 2:20
3. "You Baby" (Phil Spector) - 2:45
4. "Monday" (Sonny Bono) - 2:55
5. "Love Don't Come" (Sonny Bono) - 3:05
6. "Podunk" (Sonny Bono) - 2:53

Side B

1. "Little Man" (Sonny Bono) - 3:15
2. "We'll Sing In the Sunshine" (Gale Garnett) - 2:40
3. "Misty Roses" (Tim Hardin) - 3:05
4. "Stand by Me" (Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller) - 3:40
5. "Living For You" (Sonny Bono) - 3:30
6. "Cheryl's Goin' Home" (Bob Lind) - 2:40

It really dosen't get much better than this....... :text-bravo: :text-bump: :text-bravo:

JulieLondonJulieIsHerName.jpg

Julie Is Her Name 2 - 45 rpm 180gram Lp's

Julie London

1955/2008 Liberty - BoxStar

Limited Edition.

"...This two-LP set has been mastered by Bernie Grundman on his all-tube disc cutting system and the LP is pressed at RTI. Female vocals and tubes seem to go together so I'm putting this one at the top of my list. Don't be thrown off that this is a mono recording. Many of them will blow you away." - Jim Hannon, AVguide.com

Much like Dean Martin's 1954 debut LP (Dean Martin Sings), Julie London's recording career started on the silver screen in the 1940s. In 1955 she made her debut LP on the newly formed Liberty Records. Recorded in August of that same year, in state-of-the-art mono sound, Julie Is Her Name is regarded by jazz buffs and '50s pop enthusiasts as a genuine classic! This LP features the hit single "Cry Me A River" and her stellar performances of "I Should Care" and "No Moon At All."

Returning to the original full-track master, Boxstar's 45-RPM/two-LP set is mastered by Bernie Grundman on his all-tube disc cutting system and the LP is pressed by RTI on silent HQ-180 vinyl. Nothing comes between the listener and Julie. Supported by the legendary Barney Kessel on guitar and Ray Leatherwood on bass, this new LP release brings back memories of the cool '50s. Whether you were a cool swinger in the '50s or you're a cool hi-fi lovin' swinger today, you will be transported to a time when a 15" coaxial speaker, a 20 watt amplifier and a girl who looks like Julie were all that mattered. These are limited edition LPs so order your copy today.

1 "Cry Me a River" Arthur Hamilton 2:36
2 "I Should Care" Paul Weston/Axel Stordahl/Sammy Cahn 2:35
3 "I'm in the Mood for Love" Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields 2:28
4 "I'm Glad There Is You" Paul Madeira/Jimmy Dorsey 2:34
5 "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein II 3:08
6 "I Love You" Cole Porter 1:58
7 "Say It Isn't So" Irving Berlin 2:00
8 "It Never Entered My Mind" Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart 2:25
9 "Easy Street" Alan Rankin Jones/Carlton 3:12
10 "'S Wonderful" George and Ira Gershwin 1:33
11 "No Moon at All" Redd Evans/Dave Mann 1:53
12 "Laura" Johnny Mercer/David Raksin 1:37
13 "Gone with the Wind" Allie Wrubel/Herbert Magidson 2:05

Today's work truck music....

71a162e89da0f533bf2d2110.L.jpg

Straight Shooter -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Bad Company

1975/1994 Atlantic Records

Another Hot One From Bad Co., September 11, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Straight Shooter (Audio CD)

Bad Co.'s second album is as good as the first. "Good Lovin' Gone Bad" could be about any relationship, romantic or otherwise, on the rocks, "Deal With The Preacher" and "Wild Fire Woman" express pure lust, and "Shooting Star" warns against overindulgence, while "Feel Like Makin' Love" shows feeling of genuine devotion. This is an album of incredible intensity from the most straightforward English rockers of the 70s.
Side one

1. "Good Lovin' Gone Bad" (Mick Ralphs) – 3:35
2. "Feel Like Makin' Love" (Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs) – 5:12
3. "Weep No More" (Simon Kirke) – 3:59
4. "Shooting Star" (Paul Rodgers) – 6:16

Side two

1. "Deal With the Preacher" (Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs) – 5:01
2. "Wild Fire Woman" (Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs) – 4:32
3. "Anna" (Simon Kirke) – 3:41 [1]
4. "Call on Me" (Paul Rodgers) – 6:03

654f024128a0a7125e50e010.L.jpg

Amplified Heart -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Everything But The Girl

1994 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Amplified Heart marked a number of changes in Everything but the Girl's career, the most obvious of which was their sudden popularity when a Todd Terry remix of "Missing" became a dance-floor hit. But before the album was even recorded, Ben Watt--who with Tracy Thorn is EBTG--was hospitalized for a life-threatening intestinal disorder (see his book, Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness, for a full account). His recovery invigorates Amplified Heart, making the love songs that much more passionate, the relationship songs that much more tender, and "25th December"--the one song in which Watt sings lead--that much more heartbreaking. Thorn's captivating vocals are the focus on the rest of the album, and she's as smooth as ever; combined with the focus that she and Watt share here, it makes for EBTG's best album. --Randy Silver

1. "Rollercoaster"
2. "Troubled Mind"
3. "I Don't Understand Anything"
4. "Walking to You"
5. "Get Me"
6. "Missing"
7. "Two Star"
8. "We Walk the Same Line"
9. "25 December"
10. "Disenchanted"
11. "Missing" (Todd Terry remix)

After a little research.....This EP was put out only at Target Stores.

There is one copy on Amazon going for $35.00! :scared-yipes:

31vPE4mF2iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great American Summer Fun With: EPCD

Jimmy Buffett

1986 MCA Records

01. Come Monday

02. Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

03. Cheeseburger in Paradise

04. One Particular Harbour

05. Bank of Bad Habits

06. Fruitcakes

07. Brown Eyed Girl

CrosbyStillsandNash.jpg

Crosby, Stills & Nash :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

David Crosby, Stephen Stills & Graham Nash

1969 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com essential recording

As much as any record, CSN's 1969 debut ushered in the early '70s singer-songwriter boom. Yes, this was a group, but it was one made up of three coequal composer/vocalists, each with a heady resume--Crosby an ex- Byrd, Stills in Buffalo Springfield, and Nash a former member of the Hollies. Each supplied distinctive material and contributed to CSN's trademark harmonies. The addition of Neil Young made the supergroup an edgier outfit. There's a purity to the original trio recording, however, that would never be recaptured. --Steven Stolder

Side one

1. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" (Stills) – 7:25
* Stephen Stills-vocals, guitar, bass, percussion; David Crosby-vocals; Graham Nash-vocals; Dallas Taylor-drums
2. "Marrakesh Express" (Nash) – 2:39
* Stephen Stills-vocals, guitar, organ, piano, bass; David Crosby-vocals; Graham Nash-vocals, acoustic guitar
3. "Guinnevere" (Crosby) – 4:40
* David Crosby-vocals, guitar; Graham Nash-vocals
4. "You Don't Have to Cry" (Stills) – 2:45
5. "Pre-Road Downs" (Nash) – 3:01

Side two

1. "Wooden Ships" (Crosby, Stills, Paul Kantner [uncredited]) – 5:29
* Stephen Stills-vocals, lead guitar, bass, organ; David Crosby-vocals, rhythm guitar; Graham Nash-vocals; Dallas Taylor-drums
2. "Lady of the Island" (Nash) – 2:39
* David Crosby-vocals; Graham Nash-vocals, acoustic guitar
3. "Helplessly Hoping" (Stills) – 2:41
* Stephen Stills-vocals, guitar; David Crosby-vocals; Graham Nash-vocals
4. "Long Time Gone" (Crosby) – 4:17
* Stephen Stills-vocals, guitar, bass, organ; David Crosby-vocals; Graham Nash-vocals; Dallas Taylor-drums
5. "49 Bye-Byes" (Stills) – 5:16

WesMontgomeryADayInTheLife.jpg

A Day In The Life :handgestures-thumbup:

Wes Montgomery

1967 A&M Records

By the time Wes Montgomery recorded this album (his debut for A&M), he was a major name in the pop world. Montgomery's melodic renditions of current pop hits caught on and were played regularly on Top 40 radio. In most cases the guitarist did little more than play the melody, using his distinctive octaves, and it was enough to make him saleable. Of his three A&M recordings, A Day in the Life (the first one) was by far the best and, although the jazz content is almost nil, the results are pleasing as background music. "Windy" was a bit of a hit; the other selections (which find Montgomery backed by muzaky strings arranged by Don Sebesky) include "Watch What Happens," "California Nights," "Eleanor Rigby" and the title cut. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

1. A Day In The Life
2. Watch What Happens
3. When A Man Loves A Woman
4. California Nights
5. Angel
6. Eleanor Rigby
7. Willow Weep For Me
8. Windy
9. Trust In Me
10. The Joker

WesMontgomeryDownHereOnTheGround.jpg

Down Here On The Ground -- :handgestures-thumbup:

Wes Montgomery

1968 A&M Records

Wes Montgomery acceded to the whims of producer Creed Taylor for this, one of the very first CTI productions that would, over the next decade, popularize jazz with string backdrops or rhythm & blues beats. Much to either the delight or chagrin of urban or traditional jazz fans, the music changed, and Montgomery was in the middle, though his delightful playing was essentially unchanged. On the plus side, the legendary guitarist was allowed to collaborate with great musicians like bassist Ron Carter, pianist Herbie Hancock, flutist Hubert Laws, and percussionist Ray Barretto. While the small orchestral trappings never dominate this session, the seeds for a more grandiose style of music had been planted with the release of this date in 1968. The arrangements of Don Sebesky are for the most part pretty, unobtrusive, and pleasant but lack groove and soul in the main. "Wind Song" is exactly as its title suggests, a light funk loaded up with chords and woodwinds. The melody of "Georgia on My Mind" is barely stated although the strings are subtle; "I Say a Little Prayer" is a sappy tune made into Muzak; oboe and cello bring "When I Look Into Your Eyes" into an ultimately maudlin arena; and Lalo Schifrin's theme from "The Fox" has the same instrumental complement, more film noir, and parallel to Rahsaan Roland Kirk's "Theme to the Eulipions" if you compare them side by side. The best material is the light funk of Montgomery's original "Up & at It" in a small ensemble, nice enough, and the roots of so-called "smooth" jazz. The bright samba "Know It All" best showcases the guitarist and Hancock's luminous piano, reflecting the classic "No More Blues," while "Goin' on to Detroit" is a typical Montgomery-styled, cool road song featuring Laws. In may real and important ways, this is the beginning of the end for Montgomery as a jazz artist, and the inception of bachelor pad lounge/mood music that only lasted for a brief time. This recording, with no extra material, alternate takes, or bonus tracks, cannot compare to Charlie Parker with strings. It does fall in that category of recordings where the musicians chose to produce, rather than create their personal brand of jazz, and is at the very least an historical footnote. ~ Michael G. Nastos, All Music Guide

1. Wind Song
2. Georgia On My Mind
3. The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener
4. Down Here On The Ground
5. Up And At It
6. Goin' On To Detroit
7. I Say A Little Prayer For You
8. When I Look In Your Eyes
9. Know It All
10. The Fox

8f61225b9da0498ebacd0110.L.jpg

Life Stories -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Earl Klugh

1986 Warner Bros. Records

The Secret Is Out, September 1, 2006
By MovieMusic (Idyllic Avalon Beach N.S.W.)

I have many instrumental cds and fairly broad taste. But you don't need broad taste for this one. This is the most melodically satisfying instrumental recording ever made. If it doesn't make you feel good, check for a pulse.
Earl's earlier recordings were ordinary with a few highlights. He was on a steep learning curve. His later ones have always been very tasteful but sometimes lack spark. But he must have been in a very special place when he made this one. The tenderness expressed in "Debra Anne" and "Moon And The Stars" is exquisite. The samples here can't really do justice to these wonderful tunes.

1. "The Traveler" - 4:07
2. "Just for Your Love" - 4:13
3. "Second Chances" - 3:59
4. "For the Love of You" - 3:59
5. "Debra Anne" - 3:42
6. "Santiago Sunset" - 4:33
7. "Sandman" - 4:46
8. "Return of the Rainmaker" - 6:11
9. "Moon and the Stars" - 3:32
10. "The Traveler, Pt. 2" - 2:45

Dennie said:
It really dosen't get much better than this....... :text-bravo: :text-bump: :text-bravo:

Hey Dennie... could you move your turntable out of the way? I think that chick might be going topless and it's covering up her boobs. :music-listening:

Kazaam said:
Dennie said:

Hey Dennie... could you move your turntable out of the way? I think that chick might be going topless and it's covering up her boobs. :music-listening:

:text-bravo:

You should see what's inside the Gatefold! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Back