• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What concert/show are you going to?

Joanna and I are taking the kids to see Hans Zimmer on July 22. I've been a big fan since first hearing the Gladiator ('00) score. Of course we love his contribution to The Dark Knight trilogy. I've posted frequently how I have felt his contributions to Chris Nolan's films (Zimmer has not scored them all) have taken them to another level entirely. Reading thru the CD inserts on his collaborations with Chris Nolan have me feeling they have quite a special relationship, to me, most highlighted by the information shared in the Interstellar insert. But as you can see from the set list, he has a lot of material well before ever working with Nolan. We're really looking forward to hearing his material live. Here's the set list including the films in which the music was featured.

Setlist:
Driving / Discombobulate / Zoosters Breakout (Driving Miss Daisy, Sherlock Holmes and Madagascar)
Roll Tide (Crimson Tide)
160 BPM (Angels & Demons)

The Wheat (Gladiator)
The Battle (Gladiator)
Elysium (Gladiator)
Now We Are Free (Gladiator)

Chevaliers de Sangreal (The Da Vinci Code)

Circle of life (prelude) (The Lion King)
This Land (The Lion King)
Circle of Life (ending) (The Lion King)

Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
One Day (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Up Is Down (Pirates of the Caribbean)
He’s a Pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean)

You’re So Cool (True Romance)
Main Theme (Rain Man)
What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World? (Man of Steel)
Is She With You? (Wonder Woman Theme) (Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice)
Journey to the Line (The Thin Red Line)
The Electro Suite (The Amazing Spider-Man 2)

Why So Serious? (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
Like a Dog Chasing Cars / Why Do We Fall? / Introduce a Little Anarchy (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
Bane Theme (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

Aurora (Aurora)

Day One (Interstellar)
Where We’re Going (Interstellar)
No Time For Caution (Interstellar)
Stay (Interstellar)

Dream Is Collapsing (Inception)
Mombasa (Inception)
Time (Inception)

Whoever owned my CTS V before me was a big fan of Zimmer. There is a lot of his stuff on the HDD.

The 2017 Ottawa Bluesfest, North America's biggest and best music festival, has been running since last Thursday, and continues for another week.

For the first time I've bought myself a full festival pass. Pretty slick as it covers public transit to and from the venue (a single bus in my case; 40 minutes each way), admission every day, and it allows me to register a credit card against the pass itself so that I can buy food, booze, and merch with the pass and it is immediately charged to my credit card - and I get a confirmation email for each purchase. So I need not carry anything but the pass with me.

I've seen numerous acts every day, but so far the highlights, for me, have been:

Thursday: Pokey Lafarge
Friday: Melissa Etheridge
Saturday: Tegan & Sara

Tonight it's P!nk. (Unfortunately Pat Travers is playing on another stage at the same time - I would have liked to see him)

For the rest of the week I'm hoping to see July Talk, The Zombies, Phantogram, The Shins, Gary Clark Jr., Alan Doyle, Muse, and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, as well as a smattering of other acts.

Jeff

Pat Travers is playing on another stage at the same time - I would have liked to see him!

Yeah Baby!!!

Pat Travers is playing on another stage at the same time - I would have liked to see him!

Yeah Baby!!!
Yeah but...

Had I been watching him in the covered venue, I would have missed P!nk performing in a torrential downpour that had her, and the audience, absolutely drenched. She soldiered on, and so did I - under a golf umbrella.

I might be the only person to get the shot below (and many others) as all the pro photogs probably had their gear stashed and dry, and the audience put all their camera phones away. Me? Well since I have a DORO flip phone, I was packing a brand new Olympus TG-870 Tough that can shoot in any conditions!

P7090369 (Medium).JPG

And by the way, she's only backlit from the stage lighting in all of my shots. The storm was so wild that all the perched spotlight operators had to abandon their posts and seek shelter!

Here's a shot of her, and her excellent dance troupe, earlier in the show, before the deluge descended.

P7090227 (Medium).JPG

Shortly after that number, she was joined on stage by Dallas Green for two songs - which I captured on video.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but...

Had I been watching him in the covered venue, I would have missed P!nk performing in a torrential downpour that had her, and the audience, absolutely drenched. She soldiered on, and so did I - under a golf umbrella.

I might be the only person to get the shot below (and many others) as all the pro photogs probably had their gear stashed and dry, and the audience put all their camera phones away. Me? Well since I have a DORO flip phone, I was packing a brand new Olympus TG-870 Tough that can shoot in any conditions!

View attachment 6944

And by the way, she's only backlit from the stage lighting in all of my shots. The storm was so wild that all the perched spotlight operators had to abandon their posts and seek shelter!

Here's a shot of her, and her excellent dance troupe, earlier in the show, before the deluge descended.

View attachment 6945

Shortly after that number, she was joined on stage by Dallas Green for two songs - which I captured on video.

Jeff

Holy Crap, It rains in Canada?

It looks like you enjoyed the show! Nice job!

The Zombies put on a great show for a very appreciative crowd. To say that Rod Argent's keyboard work is masterful would be a great understatement!

P7110261 (Medium).JPG

Jeff, How was Melissa Etheridge?

I have never seen her live, however what I have seen on video, she is quite the performer.

Just got tickets for the Beach Boys at the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center in Great Barrington MA. August 15th. Looking forward to this one.

http://www.mahaiwe.org/

summer_video_slider.jpg

This has been the year for live music for me. I'd have to think way back to my teen years to imagine any time that might even come close - which it wouldn't.

Anyhow, I will be seeing four incredible Canadian performers / groups this weekend - all on the same bill - in Toronto.

First up is American-born Oh Susanna

She will be followed by The Sadies

Up next is a group I've posted about on numerous occasions, my favourites, The Skydiggers. (Note the incredible resemblance of Frontman Andy Maize to PaulyT!) I really (really really) hope that Jessy Bell Smith will still be part of the group, doing supporting vocals. She was the last two times I saw them live.

And finally, another all-time favourite, Blue Rodeo.

And given that all four are on the same stage, I expect some commingling throughout the vent. Like...

and...!

https://youtu.be/pIaYF8Lz7CA

Now THAT would be a total wet-my-pants moments if it were to happen this coming Saturday night.

Jeff

ps. Mike: you going? If not, I could be available, downtown (staying near Ryerson), for Sunday morning breakfast, before I have to head back to Ottawa, if you'd like to meet up.

Sitting out side after a great dinner. Doors open in 15 minutes. Looking forward and review to come.
Here is some commentary on the concert. 1st I have to mention the audience. Well let's say a group that formed in 61' doesn't bring in many millenials. So 95% of the audience were boomers. A lot of gray hair, canes, and I'll suspect dentures. The crowd was fully engaged and minus the mosh pit was standing, dancing and singing. Yours truely and wife included.
As far as the group, the 2 original members Mike Love and Bruce Johnson are part of the group. Accept for Jeff Foskett on guitar and vocals, I confess I'm not familiar with the rest but Randy Leago stood out on sax. Mike Love is 75 and I think Johnson is 72. Their energy is contagious and amazing. Mike played off the age thing on many occasions. In between songs get would speak with the audience. He brought humor for example talking about intermission was very important for them, as was the nap during the break. The concert was 2.5 hours including a 15 minute nap.
Now the music. Well it's the Beach Boys. The set list link is below. They performed 38 songs in the 2 sets. The use of the video screen was cool as they synced up older video's as they were perfoming. All of the visuals were rather pleasing. My favorite was California Girls. The encore Barbara Ann and Fun Fun Fun was a great way to end the 2.5 hours. I videoed I think 6 songs. I'll get those to You Tube as soon as I can.

Set list

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-...arts-center-great-barrington-ma-1be5719c.html

(Note the incredible resemblance of Frontman Andy Maize to PaulyT!)
Ha! I have some of the Sydiggers stuff thanks to you, I enjoy it every much - regardless of the personal connection! (Gonna have to get some glasses like that for the next GTG...)

This is as good a place as any to bring it up ...
Have you guys heard about Ticket Master's program to try to reduce the likelihood that the bulk of concert tickets go to ticket "agencies" (scalpers). Those places that pay people to wait on-line and scoop up as many tickets as possible so they can re-sell them at huge mark-ups?

The plan is to scan a buyer's prior ticket purchases and their social media history and deduce if they would be purchaser is a "verified fan" or a scalper.

On one hand anything that puts those shady agencies out of business is okay with me.
On the other, people like me who choose not to use social media still don't have much of a chance to get tickets.

http://www.app.com/story/entertainm...-springsteen-broadway-ticket-quest/563921001/

Ok. Saturday's concert met and exceeded all expectations!

Oh Susanna? Great. Very engaging stage presence. She was backed by, among others, Bazil Donovan (Blue Rodeo) on bass and Jim Bryson (local Ottawan, toured with Kathleen Edwards and others, and has his own albums) on guitar and keyboards.

The Sadies? Terrific. Great set interspersing pure instrumental tunes, alt-country, rockabilly, and even gospel. The musicianship of Travis Good (guitars, violin, mandolin, etc.) was otherworldly. Some of his guitar solos were like Neil Young times 10! His brother and frontman Dallas Good was none too shabby on guitar and vocals. When Travis was having guitar / amp issues part way through a song, Dallas stepped up without missing a beat and filled in with a blistering solo of his own. Highlight was when they brought their mother Margaret "Mom" on stage to help belt out a couple of tunes.

The Skydiggers were amazing - as always. Jessie Bell Smith is still with them and did a song of her own. The set was unfortunately shorter than I would have liked - but then again they were not the headliner.

Blue Rodeo showed why they're one of the best in the business. They were playing in their home town and the packed audience was like an extended family. The musicianship is incredible. With Greg Keeler no longer able to wail away on lead guitar (ear issues) Colin Cripps has been with the band for a while to fill the void - and man can he play. A seasoned and incredibly experience musician in his own right he's played in and with a number of bands / performers besides Blue Rodeo (Crash Vegas, Junkhouse, Kathleen Edwards, Bran Adams). Cuddy and Keelor's voices blended beautifully - as always. They played 17 songs - followed by a three song encore. Three specific highlights: 1. Keelor and Cuddy set up stage left with mandolin and acoustic guitar. They got no more than a few notes into the song when the audience (you can tell this is their home town) knows that's their cue and picks up and thousands of voices join together to sing the whole song - without Keelor or Cuddy singing a peep! I was tearing up. The whole band then fires up and re-does the whole song. 2. The second encore song was sung by Bazil - who I have never heard sing, let alone even talk! - and was a Dean Martin cover with modified "hometown" lyrics and finally 3. Just as I dreamed, all four bands, and family and friends, came together to do Lost Together - which I happened to capture on video. All-in-all on of the best nights of music - ever!

More live stuff.

Yesterday I drove to Montreal to see k.d. lang perform at Place des Arts - a wonderful concert hall. . It's her 25 Year Ingenue (which she performed in its entirety) release tour.

To say that k.d. possesses one of the world's great voices would be an understatement! Probably the best live vocal performance I've ever heard.

She was backed by superb musicians.

While every song drew me in, highlights were Miss Chatelaine, Constant Craving, or of course, Hallelujah.

Jeff

ps. Next up will be Ottawa's CityFolk Festival. https://cityfolkfestival.com/ Lots of great acts but Rodriguez is the one I'm most looking forward to. Right now I have three available bedrooms available throughout the five days, for anyone from out of town who wants to attend. Just remember that if you are coming from the US you'll need a passport to get back home. ;)

I'd love to see KD Lang live, I agree she's got an amazing voice, and a very expressive style.

Back