• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What did you do with your dvd collection?

Bote

Just wondering what you guys did with your old dvds. I find it difficult to give them away tho i had parted with several boxes of mine away already. Still have a large stash left to give away.

I still have a bunch on shelves downstairs. I could give just about all of them away and I'd never miss them.

I went through my collection about 6 months ago and cut it in half by taking to my local used bookstore, called Half-Priced Books. They pay cash and I made about $70 on about 5 boxes of DVDs and about 7 boxes of old books.

With my refurbishment of my home theater into a listening room, I have stacks of old video discs I need to go through again and unload most of them.

I ripped everything I don't have on Vudu. All of the discs are in boxes in the basement.

Some dvds look horrible on 4 k display. Tolerable on 1080p in my opinion. How do you find yours via those displays?

Over the past couple years I've converted all my DVD's to Vudu 1080p or 4K and then trade them in at a used bookstore around the corner from my house. I went from having hundreds of DVD's to now less than 20 and only have those as they were never released on Vudu or don't have them in HDX on Vudu yet (The Abyss, Papillion. Victory with Sylvetser Stallone and Michael Caine). So I hold on to them till the convert

I was jettisoning content from my NAS like crazy and removing all of the local copies of movies I own streaming licenses for. While I was doing that, I discovered that Vudu had a bunch of them on sale for $7-10 each. It took a lot of self-restraint not to buy them. I'm trying to get rid of as much local media as I can over time, but I'm also trying to live on a budget, so...

Blu-Ray and UHD Blu-Ray are superior to their streaming equivalents and many condescending enthusiasts on other sites love to opine that philistines like me simply don't understand the importance of quality. The truth is that streaming has gotten so good, that I almost don't care about the difference and am willing to sacrifice it for reasons of both cost and convenience (though the former is less true as I transition to 4K).

While it is true that the average bitrate of a Vudu HDX movie is somewhere around 10 Mbps, they use a variable bitrate scheme that caps out at around 20 Mbps for those that have sufficient bandwidth. That minimizes banding and other artifacts to the point where I rarely notice the difference. Given that a lot of the UHD content now supports Atmos, the case for discs is even less compelling to me. The only real complaint I have about streaming is that it is inherently subject to network issues, but that is normally not an issue.

Still have them on the racks downstairs and I even broke one of them out and watched it last night.

Watched Heart Alive in Seattle last night and really enjoyed it.

Still have them on the racks downstairs and I even broke one of them out and watched it last night.

Watched Heart Alive in Seattle last night and really enjoyed it.

Heart is one of my favorite bands!!!

I just moved it from the old house to the new house. LOL

Have no idea what I will do with them now.

I sleeved all mine late last year. I had them ripped, but lost all that in a NAS disaster. I'm going to rip them all again and do a better job with backups, but that is a lot of work and a fair amount of cost as well.

I’m ready to auction ALL my DVDs and BDs on eBay in one large lot and get what I can get, when I can find the time. I still buy the occasional 4K disc of movies that the kids and I love but not at nearly the clip I used to. Almost all 4K purchases comes with a 4K digital copy so I drop that code into iTunes or Movies Anywhere if we want instant access or to download content for trips, we can. I have totally dropped the NAS/server model since for me at this point it’s an utter waste of time. When I have another (better) Bat Cave, we’ll continue to drop the 4K content into a tray and enjoy the best possible experience.

Back