• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

I humbly submit for peer review and I do understand the potential consequences and will respect the Board's decision.

iu

Watched this last night not bad had kind of a 28 Days Later feel (just no zombies). Whatever was causing the war/apocalypse was kind of a background story and never really full defined which was interesting. Features some young/early appearances from Saoirse Ronan (Hanna), George McKay (1917) and a very young Tom Holland (Spiderman). Came out in 2013 and I never noticed it at the time.

Also watched this on Netflix the other night. Some decent moments of survival/peril but also some not so decent moments of bad dialogue and rubber suit monster effects (not that I have any problem with rubber suit monster effects when done well).

Catching up on my Netflix cue now that my movie room is back together. If you liked Wind River then you might like this. Similar setting and pacing but darker and despite being a little cryptic at times I thought very good. Some subtle clues and Easter eggs that if you miss might may leave things a little confusing. Won't spoil it but if you watch it and want to discuss we can start a spoiler laden separate post.

This on the other hand I thought was awful. Practically nonsense. And the trailer (which I actually thought looked great) was totally misleading. First of all Dustin Hoffman in on screen for maybe 10min of the entire movie and these scenes look like they were shot on another set and edited in post production. The other 2hrs of the movie are (1) in Italian and (2) complete nonsense and (3) have something to do with a large demonic bunny rabbit (not kidding). I'm not really sure because I quickly lost interest and scanned through most of the movie. Definitely the worst on demand renters regret I have ever felt. I want my $6.99 back (Amazon Prime rental). You have been warned.

do we put movies that we watch via netflix here or at the streaming thread?

anyways, watched hold the dark, and overall its pretty good storytelling. definitely on the darker end.

side note, why oh why is it that everytime they show a dark thriller it always seems to be in alaska?

i also watched the outsider, jared leto movie.

in a way, i think that his inclusion in the movie was a 'accompaniment' to the main movie itself, and i enjoyed it quite a lot. somewhat a japanese movie with an american tempo so to speak. not as slow as most japanese movies are.

worth my time.
my thoughts on hold the dark...

i loved wind river. i hate certain parts, but the pacing, the whole storytelling, was super fluid.

Speaking of pacing... just watched Blue Ruin on Netflix. Directed by same guy who did Hold The Dark, Green Room and a couple episodes of Manhunter. Super slow burn pacing but I love his storytelling style and characters are always interesting. This one had a gritty Sweet Virginia/A Dark Place vibe to it (both also worth watching IMO).

Now that I mentioned it IMO this was a small but under appreciated piece of acting by Andrew Scott. He plays a guy on the autism spectrum who drives a garbage truck and has a feeling that there is more to the story of a local boy who died mysteriously. I thought he did a great job with the role.

on my list thank you.
Speaking of pacing... just watched Blue Ruin on Netflix. Directed by same guy who did Hold The Dark, Green Room and a couple episodes of Manhunter. Super slow burn pacing but I love his storytelling style and characters are always interesting. This one had a gritty Sweet Virginia/A Dark Place vibe to it (both also worth watching IMO).

is A dark place on netflix?

on a sidenote, bought 'only the brave' on blu-ray. finally.

i saw it before on hbo, and man, i bawled after watching it. i got it at walmart in the bargain bin for around 7 bucks.

Back