• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What, no Grammy comments?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I know I've ranted on and on about how the Grammys is really nothing more than a popularity contest for the biggest selling artists which doesn't actually reflect true talent, artistic creativity, innovation or even influence on the world, but I am shocked that no one has said a word about the Grammy awards show this year (2018)!

I mean, didn't someone do something "shocking" like have oral sex on stage, or some new artist performed with some old artist and it was the most magical thing ever, or someone was brave and did something brave which every single person in entertainment has been doing for the past six months, or someone admitted something that we all already knew but they finally said it openly, or someone's dress was too revealing, or too covering, or too strange, or too much? Certainly someone decided one of the winners is now their favorite and you are trying to find a way to prove you LOVED their music before the awards show so you can convince yourself you are not just a sheep following the marketing might behind why the Grammy show even exists?

C'mon!!! AT least someone call Trump a pussy!!! Am I right?

Eh.

I used to get miffed at all the awards shows, then I read something that changed my thinking- all of us like to be appreciated for especially good work, and when that appreciation comes from coworkers and colleagues it means that much more. So I get why these awards shows are big deals.

We watched a bit of them, but turned it off when they got to the Fire and Fury readings. That just smacked of "Hey! You know the President? WE DON'T LIKE HIM!" Well, I know they don't like him, and while I can share a lot of their frustration with the guy, that just smacked of the low quality political discourse that spawned Trump (Do you like Trump? Because this crap is how you got Trump!). So I switched to the news.

I don't really care who wins or who loses the awards. Not my circus. Not my clowns. Not my anything. But the insistence of celebrities to show their incredibly shallow understandings of the issues and how they affect people outside their little bubble got tiresome, and it got tiresome FAST.

Hey! It couldn't have been all bad: Leonard Cohen won Best Rock Performance!

I’m more into the Oscars and Emmy winners but usually don’t go out of my way to watch those awards shows. And the music I prefer isn’t really all that mainstream so I didn’t bother.

.... notes that only one Canadian was mentioned on the Grammys last night.
Wait, what?

Did Alessia Cara (Winner - Best New Artist) and The Weeknd (Winner - Best Urban Contemporary Album) give up their Canadian Citizenship?

Wait, what?

Did Alessia Cara (Winner - Best New Artist) and The Weeknd (Winner - Best Urban Contemporary Album) give up their Canadian Citizenship?

Oh... you are so incredibly consistent at always mentioning every Canadian related to any conversation ever that mentioning only Leonard could be taken at your word as the only Canadian in the show.

Oh... you are so incredibly consistent at always mentioning every Canadian related to any conversation ever that mentioning only Leonard could be taken at your word as the only Canadian in the show.
Not true.

For example I left out Canadian recording engineer-extraordinaire Charles Moniz' three-Grammy win for best engineered album in a non-classical category, record of the year and album of the year (Bruno Mars 24k Magic.)

Sometimes it's better to dole it out in small measures, rather than blowing one's load all at once. You'd know this if you had my capacity for self-control.

:)

Sunday night's GRAMMYs was, in all likelihood, the last one I'll ever watch. It was really nothing more than the Country Music Awards, Hip Hop Awards and Latin American Music Awards shows rolled into one. Plus, if I wanted to listen to 14 people taking shots at Trump, I'd watch the news. By the way, I nearly slpurfed out some coffee while reading Akula's post. He switched to news after the Fire & Fury bit?? He must watch Fox News, Newsmax or CNBC because every other news channel is just incessant negative Trump coverage.

Anyhow, in years past, I could easily relate to the GRAMMYs. I may not have always agreed with their decisions but I always understood them. This year, not so much. Perhaps I'm just too out of touch with current music.

As for Canadians being mentioned, Justin Beiber's name was cited as being affiliated with the song Despacito (unless of course you Canadians no longer claim him as one of your own [and honestly, who could blame you?]).

I also love Pink.
Also, loved just about all of Bruno Mars' music.
Especially those "high tech" videos he's been putting out.
Good stuff.
Didn't watch the Grammy's this year, but saw some headlines.

Plus, if I wanted to listen to 14 people taking shots at Trump, I'd watch the news. By the way, I nearly slpurfed out some coffee while reading Akula's post. He switched to news after the Fire & Fury bit?? He must watch Fox News, Newsmax or CNBC because every other news channel is just incessant negative Trump coverage.

'Twas the local news. I don't hardly bother with national news coverage anymore- their accuracy is somewhat worse than a drunk guy with a full bladder peeing with the seat down. I'd rather see what's going on in my neighborhood and check the local weather forecast than see yet more of the Two Minute Hate. Like I said, can't say I disagree with much that's leveled at the President, but there's an upper limit I can take of that on any given day and I usually hit my quota well before lunch.

If they want to do a music awards show, then do a music awards show. That I might watch. There's no need for a supposedly comedic political commentary, there's a ton of those as it is.

'Twas the local news. I don't hardly bother with national news coverage anymore- their accuracy is somewhat worse than a drunk guy with a full bladder peeing with the seat down.

Now that some funny stuff right there. May I use that?

To be fair, the people making the anti-Trump political jokes live their entire lives surrounded by people who share their viewpoints on Trump and who have Trump on their minds all the time. This is them honestly thinking they are being funny to the world. After all, if they are watching damn near ALL of the national and global journalism sources, it appears the whole damn world agrees with their political views AND they are good at being funny about things people all agree with. They have to be reminded that 49% of the USA voted for Trump and they probably don't even think that reflects their customers anyway.

I feel sorry for them, in many ways, for being stuck in a cocoon where they don't get to be challenged on their opinions. This is why I seek out the debate here and in personal relationships. I want to be challenged and I want to understand those who would otherwise seem stupid or insane for their opinions. Clearly not everyone I disagree with in stupid or insane (or both), but I would never know that unless I actually discuss the things on which we disagree.

I am sad that so much of our culture is driven out of sheer and absolute ignorance. It creates a greater divide - such as we are seeing in this thread. They got stupid so I didn't watch. Well, they think you are stupid for not watching based on that viewpoint and don't care if you never hear from them. Empathy and understanding are vanishing from our society.

Love you neighbor, even if you disagree.

Lowest rated Grammy's ever, or at least that's what somebody said. I haven't seen the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me. Lots of people are getting turned off with politics taking a front seat on a lot of shows these days.

Back