• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What TV Now?

Snake Doctor

Now that Panasonic has discontinued their plasmas what would you recommend? I want a display to rival the plasma; to give the best color and be able to view from the side? I guess it should be 4K??

Thanks

Got an email from Panasonic. The 65" AX800 Series 4K Ultra HD TV (TC-65AX800U) is on sale through tomorrow for $2199 with free shipping. That may be a deal good enough to overlook perceived deficiencies in non-plasma sets.

^^Not only that but if you enter the Promo code "BONUS300" you get an additional % off. The 58" set is also on sale and the same code can be used thru tomorrow 2/28....

The budget is fairly open - I am trying to decide if waiting for an OLED is worth it. There are a lot of Ultra HD's that are claiming to be better then an LED 4K.

Is that true?

Snake, promise me you'll at least look at the 55" LG OLED at your local Best Buy, before buying anything. I can't see the "4K" difference unless my eyes are a couple feet away from the screen, but I can see the OLED difference from halfway across the store. The slight curve in the screen works against off-axis viewing, but the OLED picture itself is fine off-axis.
I can't justify the $3,000 with a perfectly-good set already at home, but if it burned up tonight I'd buy that OLED tomorrow.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they're curving anything less than 120 inches.

Botch said:
Snake, promise me you'll at least look at the 55" LG OLED at your local Best Buy, before buying anything. I can't see the "4K" difference unless my eyes are a couple feet away from the screen, but I can see the OLED difference from halfway across the store. The slight curve in the screen works against off-axis viewing, but the OLED picture itself is fine off-axis.
I can't justify the $3,000 with a perfectly-good set already at home, but if it burned up tonight I'd buy that OLED tomorrow.

I will look but I just don't think I would get anything with a curve. Isn't Samsung pushing the really curved screens, but I don't think I would even consider curved screen. Now OLED I would most definitely consider. There are some 4K LED's that look really good but will they stand up?

Panny made me cry when they decided to drop plasma, I have a 58" for a while now and it is still great. I am trying to help a friend decide on a new TV, and every time I read one thing and think ahhh, that is what I am looking for, something else seems as good or better.

Batman said:
^^Not only that but if you enter the Promo code "BONUS300" you get an additional % off. The 58" set is also on sale and the same code can be used thru tomorrow 2/28....

The $2199 was the price after the $300 discount was applied.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. If I were ready to do something in my basement I might consider that.

Back