• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Would Happen?

Batman

Staff member
Famous
I'll try to keep the initial explanation as short as possible to try and get to the question at hand.

Some neighbors are having a party tomorrow night and they want to partake in some Karioke...They have a software program to play a song list that will be played off a laptop and a dual wireless microphone set-up that has both an xlr and headphone jack output connection (1/4"). The question came up on how to mix the singing and the songlist into one input for a stereo receiver to play on one set of speakers...Since none of us has a receiver capable of mixing the two signals, my neighbor suggested that we input the songlist into one receiver the mics into another receiver and connect the two receivers into one set of speakers!?!?! Since they are using my Dynaudio X16s I suggested HELL NO! NOT WITH MY SPEAKERS!! But it begs the question what would actually happen to the equipment if someone actually did this stunt? It would have never dawned on me to even approach it that way, I was thinking of inputting the mic pre-amp into the mic jack on the laptop to see if the laptop would then pass on the two signals together onto a stereo receiver...Curious to hear these responses for sure!!! :text-lol:

Is there a cheap mixer they can get at Guitar Center or similar? As you said, two receivers to one pair of speakers is a no-no.

EDIT: or maybe just use the laptop as a mixer. Maybe there is something in that software that will let you do that, then it's just a matter of running connections from the laptop's soundcard to an input on the receiver.

Yeah, it's possible you could use the laptop to mix the mic input with the music generated by the software, that should work. In fact, I would think a karaoke program would have this built in...

Right, absolutely can't drive speakers by two amps! Because not only would one amp be driving the speakers, it's also effectively driving the other amp! Having power fed back into the speaker outputs is just asking for fireworks.

The simple items are the inexpesive Behringer UB802 type mixers around 50 to 100 dollars.

Paul and I have mixers that support larger functions. I am setup to do the block parties.
You could consider having someone visit. I would be asking for some donations to cover gas and travel.

As the gang already stated, running two receivers to a single speaker is ill advised. Check CL for a mixer or borrow Pauly's.

Back