• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What would you do?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I'm thinking about selling my Mackies. I really don't know. I found a set of used Klipsch speakers I could get from various sellers to still have a 5.1, or 7.1, setup depending on my budget and then maybe use the funds from the Mackies to upgrade the 3803 to a budget receiver with HDMI switching.

or........

I could just keep what I have and maybe get a used pre/pro. The average prices I have seen for the ones I want are still in the 600-800 range. That means keeping what I have for at least another 4 months due to me not having anything to sell to cover a pre/pro's cost.

I'm very tempted depending on what feedback I get from the sellers in question, but a lot of it hinges on what my Mackies are currently worth and how quickly I could turn those around to offset the cost of the replacement speakers. The Mackies are mint and I even have all the packing, boxes, manuals, etc. that came with them.

As much as you use that room I would say keep the mackies. I love you set up. Nothing wrong with your receiver. You just have a mild case of upgraditus at this point. I would hold out for a pre-pro.

What's the main issue, Yesfan? HDMI?

PaulyT said:
What's the main issue, Yesfan? HDMI?

More or less and pre-outs.

I don't think I'll ever buy active speakers again. I'm kinda pissed buying that Panasonic player put me in that situation. No HDMI downstairs, so I'm screwed trying to hook it or my PS3 up down there. So I thought, 'why not just go ahead and upgrade the receiver'. HDMI equipped receivers are a dime a dozen now, but good luck finding one with both HDMI switching and pre-outs for an active speaker system. A used pre-pro (like the Onkyo 885 or 886) is cheaper than the Denon 3311, but still out of my budget and twice the price of a good entry level receiver.

Maximo said:
As much as you use that room I would say keep the mackies. I love you set up. Nothing wrong with your receiver. You just have a mild case of upgraditus at this point. I would hold out for a pre-pro.

That's just it. I don't use it as much as I used to due to Little Man and overtime. Most of the time when I am listening to music, I'm upstairs in the living room. That was one reason why I went back to 5.1, so I could have one of my Mackie pairs in the back bedroom for music when online.

I'm thinking about going back to what I used to have. I really liked the Klipsch speakers I had and I see the bookshelf versions of my speakers all the time for next to nothing on ebay and the Gon. I've thought about going back to that setup and sell 5 of my 7 Mackies. I do love my Mackies, but at the same time I know I won't keep them for ever. If I change my mind and decide not to sell them now for whatever reason, it's only a matter of time before I do sell them in order to get something like the Odins.

I know one thing. The Panasonic Bluray is going back today. I'll at least do that and get the Sony 370 Pauly suggested in my other thread. The Mackies? It depends on what the Klipsch seller is willing to do. If the price is right, don't be surprised to see them for sale here.

If for no other reason than change... I'd sell em. For no good reason I'm considering selling my Mackies. I can't think of anything they lack, I just want something new. I think there may be some value in getting excited by exploring a new speaker setup. So, on those grounds, I say sell the Mackies and get something "new" to play with.

Towen7 said:
If for no other reason than change... I'd sell em. For no good reason I'm considering selling my Mackies. I can't think of anything they lack, I just want something new. I think there may be some value in getting excited by exploring a new speaker setup. So, on those grounds, I say sell the Mackies and get something "new" to play with.

That's what I'm thinking. I got some ideas on how to mount the surrounds and maybe do something different with the stands for the fronts.

Any idea what the value is on the Mackies? I still see the MK 1s go for about $500/pr on ebay, but that still seems a bit high (though I don't mind selling them for that much if one is willing to give me that).

Yesfan, if you keep the Mackies and want to upgrade your receiver to one with HDMI switching AND pre-outs we can work a deal out for my Onkyo. It's overkill in my system power wise and I need an extra HDMI input due to the XBOX I added last Christmas for the boy. Currently I'm unplugging the PS3 and XBOX each time he wants to switch systems and I'd like that bluetooth capable Pioneer like in my bedroom so when I watch YouTube vids and HBO GO app shows on my iPad I can listen with the system.

It's a TXSR805, check the specs and see if it's a fit. It'd be a lot of receiver for cheap, even if you go passive and the inputs are plenty than it would be a good fit as it has very capable power/HDMI switching and you still get pre outs for less $ than similar equipped current models. Only thing you won't get is the new streaming capabilities and things of that nature. It's 4 years old.

Right now the Austin Criagslist is filled with people selling the Mackies HR824s. I have spoken to about a dozen of the sellers to see why they were selling their Mackies; all of them basically said they really loved the Mackies but just wanted to get something new. Upgraditus is hitting the monitor world. The HR824 was the gold standard for semi-affordable studio monitors for a few years and everyone bought them. Now they are all a few years old and something new is appealing - ANYTHING new.

Here are a few of the things they said:
"These are getting a bit old in the tooth, but I love them and the mixes I get from them."
"It seems like technology should have advanced in the 6 years since I've gotten these."
"I love them, but I am getting tired of looking at them."
"It's time for something different."

So, what now?

The market here is flush with sellers, so the prices are not very high.

Flint said:
I have spoken to about a dozen of the sellers to see why they were selling their Mackies;

Are you just doing research or are you shopping for another pair?

Flint said:
....The market here is flush with sellers, so the prices are not very high.

What's the going price? If you don't want to post it on the open boards, than please PM me.

B,

PM me a price. Maybe something will happen.

By the way, I was checking with sellers about why they were selling to learn what was going on. Perhaps there was a quality issue (if they told me they had to repair them or something). Perhaps there was a new standard in affordable studio monitors that came out I need to check out (there was no consistent replacement model in my research).

In general, I think people just got bored with whatever they had and want something different and new. Upgraditus.

Flint said:
In general, I think people just got bored with whatever they had and want something different and new. Upgraditus.
Huh, the music business must be doing a lot better in Austin than here.

EDIT:

:doh: Well, that's the dumbest post I've made in awhile... :oops:

Flint said:
The average price for a pair of 1st gen Mackie HR824 is about $550.

So about $275 per speaker? Assuming those prices don't include shipping (most ads don't), I could easily let mine go for that amount.

All of you guys with upgraditis stay the he!! away from me!! The only thing I want is a new projector and that's enough for now. I still love my speakers and want to keep them for a while. Y'all just keep all this speaker upgrade talk over there in the corner.

John

Come on John. You don't want to buy yesfan's speakers so you can have seemless 11.2 surround?

I'd purchase a Schiit Lyr, pair of Siemens & Halske Cca's, and either Beyerdynamics T-1's, Audeze LCD2, or HiFiMan HE-6.

Let the music begin. Oh, you'll need to keep your Mackies for movies.

Rope

-B- said:
Yesfan, if you keep the Mackies and want to upgrade your receiver to one with HDMI switching AND pre-outs we can work a deal out for my Onkyo. It's overkill in my system power wise and I need an extra HDMI input due to the XBOX I added last Christmas for the boy. Currently I'm unplugging the PS3 and XBOX each time he wants to switch systems and I'd like that bluetooth capable Pioneer like in my bedroom so when I watch YouTube vids and HBO GO app shows on my iPad I can listen with the system.

It's a TXSR805, check the specs and see if it's a fit. It'd be a lot of receiver for cheap, even if you go passive and the inputs are plenty than it would be a good fit as it has very capable power/HDMI switching and you still get pre outs for less $ than similar equipped current models. Only thing you won't get is the new streaming capabilities and things of that nature. It's 4 years old.

I sent you a couple of PMs. Disregard the second one I sent (I found a link with all the info I needed on that receiver).

Back