• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What's more fun than a box of rocks???

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Answer: Nothing!

And what's more Macho than a driveway full of a box of rocks, a Tennessee-built manly truck, and a New Holland front-end loader??

Answer: Nothing!

To Be Continued...

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Botch said:
And what's more Macho than a driveway full of...
Answer: A full driveway with a hailstorm. GAH!!! :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-eek: :shock: :doh: :shock: :angry-tappingfoot: :handgestures-thumbdown:
I don't mind the beemer seeing a bit of hail, builds character; but my pristine, if 12-year-old, Saab didn't need that! :cry: :cry: :cry:

And what's more Macho than a driveway full of a box of rocks, a Tennessee-built manly truck, a 600-cc rice rocket that does 0-60 in 3.4 sec, a BMW Enduro, a Saab convertible, and a New Holland front-end loader??[/quote]

What is that, a Nissan Titan? Almost looks like a Tundra looking at the wheels, but I thought those were made in Kentucky.

Sorry to hear about the hail damage to the Saab.

Don't know that there's damage to my Saab, yet; hopefully not.
The truck's my '08 Tacoma, pretty sure it was built (or at least assembled) in TN...

Cool! I was going to (and still may) start a thread on my patio / firepit build I have going on currently.

Although Botch, I see a box of rocks, but I don't see piles of "screenings" or ABC stone. What gives?

I love rocks!

Don't have many in Deep South Texas.......

Looks like a great project!

Botch said:
To Be Continued...
Guess: Botch's latest business venture, fossil hunt? :think:

No%2071%20Warfield%20Fossils,%20Wyoming.%20Kevin%20splitting%20shale%20again%20in%20his%20search%20for%20that%20elusive%20fish.%20.JPG

trilobites1.jpg

:text-bump: Time to finish this thread up!

Here's my back deck, last summer. It's not really big, shouldn't have been made into a two-level. Really stupid place to put the A/C unit. Plus, as you can see, I just got tired of painting the damn thing every spring. The previous owners did put up a pergola-like frame, with cables running between the boards, and had a beautiful Reisling grapevine growing over it. It provided shade from the top and to the west, and was thick enough that it was waterproof, loved sitting under it during the rain.

Old1-1.jpg

This past winter, the vine weight and the snowpack got to be too much, and snapped off one of the 4x4 supports. This was finally the push I needed to redo the whole thing (watching "Yard Crashers" on the DIY Channel didn't help).

Old2-1.jpg

Attack! I had to cut the grapevine mass into quarters to make the pieces light enough to drag. Tearing apart the deck, pulling out the posts, and pulling up all the vine roots took a lot longer than I expected, and reminded me how old I'm getting...
seacaptain.gif

Destruct1.jpg

Getting to the "blank slate" point. From this point on the only hard part for me personally would be writing some large checks (I decided to hire out folks who knew what they were doing to install the new stuff).

Destruct3.jpg

Finally, the finished project!

New1.jpg

Facing west:

New3.jpg

Fire pit:

New4.jpg

The deck itself is a material that is 100% PVC, comes with a lifetime warranty (Trex is 20% wood fibers, and comes with a 20-year warranty; they were essentially the same cost so that was a no-brainer). The pergola is steel with a vinyl covering, no more painting! A/C unit was moved to the north and a 4' vinyl privacy fence blocks it off, much better. The stone benches, firepit and bubbling water column (more for sound than looks) were mined in southern utah, I really like their look, the flagstone is a lighter color but still has some nice figure in them.
I can understand why having a home built is such a headache; this small project still needed five different parties and it was quite a pain getting it all coordinated (they don't just show up at the appointed hour like they do on Yard Crashers). But, its done now, and if this damn heat pocket ever leaves I'll enjoy sitting out there the rest of the summer.

I do miss the grapevine, and this deck does get full sun in the evenings close to solstice; later in the summer the cottonwoods to the west give me shade. Haven't decided yet whether to grow another vine, install a retractable screen, plant some poplars to the NW, or just live with it...

Now, the rest of the yard looks pretty plain! I'm gonna save up a few nickels before I start looking at trees, vines, gazebos and most importantly, a shrubbery! :mrgreen:

SWEET JESUS! Nice work, Botch! You're a better than me. I never would've attempted such a project.

Very nice Botch! :text-bravo:

Makes me not want to post pictures of the patio / fire pit we've been working on.. :cry:

Wow. Looking good.

Looks like the old deck extended beyond the corner of the house and the new one stops are that corner, but you reclaimed some space by loosing the AC and getting rid of the second level. Nice use of space.

Love the fire pit.

I may borrow heavily from your design if I ever get around to replacing mine.

Looks really good Botch! I love the faux rock fire pit, that's really neat! :text-bravo:

Nice, great upgrade! Those stones are cool, kind of the primitive-but-classy look, I love it.

Back