• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Whats recommended

Deerhunter

My wife says I need to get headphones, since she really does not like the radio as much as I do. I always have to have it on so she is thinking about getting some for me.

I really liked the Sennheiser I heard at Matt's get together last year. I just don't remember what ones Razz had. Do they all sound really good or just the higher end ones?

Nearly all headphones sound good, especially the traditionally high end brands like Sennheiser, AKG, Beyedynamic, and such. If you want an easy, comfortable, non-fatiguing set of cans, buy one of those three brands.

If you want exciting, punchy, and ROCKING headphones, get Grado, Sony, Monster, or similar.

Thanks Flint, I will look into those other higher brands as well.

How well do the wireless ones work an sound dollar for dollar? From the better brands.

I agree with Flint (except on the Monster phones). I had a pair of cheap $20 Sonys that were great for the money. I had two different pair of AKG phones, including the K701s, that were as good as their price.

Not trying to pimp his post, but Zing's 701s would be really hard to pass up for what he's asking for them.

Headphones are no different than speakers, each have their own sonic signature.

If there's a headphone meet near by, take the time and listen to as many brands and models as possible. Keep in mind the higher impedance phones will need a headphone amplifier to perform at their optimum .

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6550/headphones-for-sale-trade

Rope

Really did not know that how high would the impedance need to before a headphone amplifier would be need to get them to perform at their optimum?

Just getting ideas right now. This would be a Christmas type of thing.

I would suggest a good-sealing pair of noise-cancelling headphones... for the wife.

But that's probably why I'm a career bachelor.

Deerhunter said:
Really did not know that how high would the impedance need to before a headphone amplifier would be need to get them to perform at their optimum?

Just getting ideas right now. This would be a Christmas type of thing.

Headphones with impedance greater than 25-Ohms. Some cans at 25-Ohms benefit froma a HP amp.

I thought I knew what the AkG K-701's were capable of, then I purchased a good HP amp. While they are indeed a good neutral, accurate standard, they also have a very good "bottom end", the one thing many owners complain about.

Rope

Thank you some of the ones I was looking at were 50ohms now I will keep that in mind when I am looking.

Deerhunter said:
Thank you some of the ones I was looking at were 50ohms now I will keep that in mind when I am looking.

The issue isn't that a regular headphone connection won't work, because it will. You won't be "feeding" the headphones what they, and your ears need for optimal sonic value. Some of the Planar cans require 8 watts per channel to perform optimally. Some Beyerdynamic models are 600-Ohm.

Word has it that HiFiMan is in the process of releasing a HP amp that will offer 20 watts per channel, which is unheard of for HP use.

Another option for hard to drive HP's would be speaker taps used on a regular amplifier to connect headphones.

Rope

Deerhunter,
I have the Senn HD-600.

I've always loved them but recently have preferred the AKG-701

Rope said:
Deerhunter said:

The issue isn't that a regular headphone connection won't work, because it will. You won't be "feeding" the headphones what they, and your ears need for optimal sonic value. Some of the Planar cans require 8 watts per channel to perform optimally. Some Beyerdynamic models are 600-Ohm.

Word has it that HiFiMan is in the process of releasing a HP amp that will offer 20 watts per channel, which is unheard of for HP use.

Another option for hard to drive HP's would be speaker taps used on a regular amplifier to connect headphones.

Rope

This is a pic of the HiFiMan amplfier I referred to in the above post, however, it should be noted this is a beta version and also integrated.

Rope

Attachments

• HiFiMan EF-6 Amplifier.jpg
    HiFiMan EF-6 Amplifier.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 363
  • HiFiMan EF6 Front.jpg
    HiFiMan EF6 Front.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 362
  • HiFiMan EF6 Back.jpg
    HiFiMan EF6 Back.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 362
Dam all that just to listen to headphones. I will stay away from the higher impedance ones, I still want to be able to take them with me to listen to when I am at my in-laws once the game is over.

That set up looks nice though. Thanks you Rope

Back