• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What's your favorite pre-1970s movie?

zod

CiscoKid said:
Of the movies I've seen, I'd have to say mine is the Bridge on the River Kwai.
I mostly go back and forth on Lawrence of Arabia and To Kill a Mockingbird mostly because that was the only reason Peter O'Toole didn't win the Oscar. The Bridge on the River Kwai is another absolute masterpiece by David Lean. I guess it comes down which version of madness you prefer when picking favorites.

In the Cold War Angst/Sci Fi catoegory:
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
The Manchurian Candidate
Dr. Strangelove
Seven Days in May
Ice Station Zebra

I'm not sure where to put these two:
The Hustler

The first one that came to mind is....

51J6NLWYFfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The second one was....

41RMEFA9Z4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Because I just love Audrey Hepburn!

tumblr_lkcklq4e4g1qctpr4

Dennie

I was gonna say Deliverance but thats 1972 so I thought Papilon wrong 1973.

So here it is for me.

Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape and Bullit all with Steve McQueen was a big fan.

The second one was....

tumblr_lkcklq4e4g1qctpr4

Dennie

Dennie did you know Steve McQueen was offered the role in Breakfast at Tiffanys but had to turn it down do to contractual obligations. Just a lil tidbit there.

Srvy said:
The second one was....

tumblr_lkcklq4e4g1qctpr4

Dennie

Dennie did you know Steve McQueen was offered the role in Breakfast at Tiffanys but had to turn it down do to contractual obligations. Just a lil tidbit there.[/quote]

No, I did not know that. Thanks! :handgestures-thumbup:

Did you know Spencer Tracy's "Pay" for "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" was put into an Escrow account and if he died before finishing the film, he lost his pay and it would go to his replacement? They were on a very tight budget and couldn't afford to pay two different actors for the same part.

Another "lil tidbit".

Dennie

Dennie said:
Srvy said:
The second one was....

tumblr_lkcklq4e4g1qctpr4

Dennie

Dennie did you know Steve McQueen was offered the role in Breakfast at Tiffanys but had to turn it down do to contractual obligations. Just a lil tidbit there.

Did you know Spencer Tracy's "Pay" for "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" was put into an Escrow account and if he died before finishing the film, he lost his pay and it would go to his replacement? They were on a very tight budget and couldn't afford to pay two different actors for the same part.

Another "lil tidbit".

Dennie[/quote]

Wow and to think they spent 300 million on the latest Transformers and there not an actor in there that comes even close to a Spencer Tracy

I don't even want to get into John Wayne another my favorites there is so many I dearly love there.

Srvy said:
Dennie said:
Srvy said:
The second one was....

tumblr_lkcklq4e4g1qctpr4

Dennie

Another "lil tidbit".

Dennie

Wow and to think they spent 300 million on the latest Transformers and there not an actor in there that comes even close to a Spencer Tracy[/quote]

:laughing-rolling:

Very good point! :eusa-clap:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

CiscoKid said:
Stanley Kubrick is awesome. Dr. Strangelove was great.
Well, it looks you've gotten the old farts riled up. I loved Peter Sellers in Being There.

I'm a big fan of Sergio Leone, too. I bought the trilogy of the man with no name recently. I just wish it had Once Upon a Time in Mexico, too. I haven't seen that one yet.
I've been in that phase for the last month or so. - see the Ennio Morricone thread. Once Upon a time in the West is the ultimate spaghetti western. Do it when you the have time to savor it.

I have to throw in Paul Newman as one of my favorite actors with a great list of movies from the pre-1970s era.
Talk about a guy getting hosed by the academy. I have a simple rule - the easier they make it look, the better they are. Hank Aaron was my first lesson.

Ben Hur is definitely up there for me.

Casablanca
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Searchers
To Have and Have Not
Gunga Din
Captain Blood
How Green was My Valley
Sgt. York

and many. many more.

Gotta agree on It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad world, 2001, spartacus, and The Great Escape. They sure don't make em like that anymore.

Most of the ones I like have already been mentioned. My wife's a huge pre-70s buff. TCM is her favorite channel.

Some others I liked where:

No Time For Sergeants
The Thin Man movies
Secret of the Incas (the inspiration for the Indy Jones movies)

CiscoKid said:
Can't forget about Frank Capra's movies. While I haven't seen much besides some of It's a Wonderful Life, I know a lot of his movies are very well regarded. I've been wanting to see Lost Horizon since Alec Baldwin talked about it in the Cooler.

I have Lost Horizon on DVD - great movie.

There are so many great movies to pick from that I couldn't begin to make a list of all the great ones, but here's a few that I like that I didn't see mentioned above:

Rear Window
North by Northwest
Arsenic and Old Lace
Holiday Inn
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Singing in the Rain
Charade
My Fair Lady

Back