• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

When was the last time...

TKoP

...you went out and auditioned a new set of speakers? The recent reviews of the Koss speakers got me thinking about it.

For a while I did for:
- friends
- family
- the fun of it

I haven't done so in a LONG time, so have no idea what's good right now or what disappoints.

Anyway, just curious.

The various GTGs are the only times I've done it in the past year or more... fortunately at all of the ones I've been to (T7, Zing, yromj, Batman, JeffM), there's been something new to me, which has been great!

BUt as far as going out to a store or something on my own, no I haven't done that in a long time.

I haven't auditioned any speakers at a dealer in 5 years now. I really want to hear speakers from different brands in my system but that is not possible.

I'm with Pauly. I just wish I could afford the speakers brought to the GTG. Especially ScubaBobs Watt puppies.

Besides the GTGs, I last seriously auditioned speakers (brought my own music, took notes, etc) two and a half years ago when I built my current system.
I dawned on me towards the end of that long Saturday that listening to two or three speakers in a room, and then driving halfway across town to the next salon, in loud traffic, and then listening to two or three more speakers in a completely different room, and then repeating ad infinitum ad nauseum, wasn't a good way to compare. Especially since I have heard how much the sound of one pair can change by pulling speakers 8" further away from the wall, or toeing them in 20 degrees.
I was unhappy with how my current system sounded in my living room (the bass was, to use a precise technical term, weird) but after running Yamaha's proprietary auto-EQ program, the sound was great and I haven't changed it since.
Because I like my current system, and its paid-for, I'm not going to go out of my way to listen to something nicer (unless its a new technology, which hasn't happened since electrostatics).
Its like buying a new car: (1) never test-drive something you can't afford, and (2) don't test-drive something after you've made a purchase. :snooty:

I got into speaker shopping for a while but quickly realized that I prefered listening to music. For me it became "work" to try to isolate and identify tiny differences. I was listening to speakers instead of music. I must lack whatever gene is required to switch between critical listening and listening for enjoyment.

My getting out and around is limited, so I haven't actually auditioned any speakers since I bought what I have in 2006
Read reviews in magazines and online but that's about it.

** If I was looking to buy new speakers that would be different . . .

February was the last time for me to go to an audio dealership, for a listening session. However it was far from
a satisfactory experience the speakers were set up poorly. Too bad since the room overall was pretty good, I plan on go back sometime but with some speaker cables long enough for me to put the speakers along the short wall of a rectangular room.

The speakers were Magnepan 3.7's and Thiele Cs.3.7's, I am going to try and listen to some YG Acoustics speakers very soon.

On August 2nd this year I got to spend about an hour in a store in Shanghai listening to some amazing speakers which look like they were modeled on my own design. The sound was a little brighter than I liked, but they were nice.

Other than that, I have auditioned home speakers in a really long time. I have spent some time with powered studio monitors as I search for a solution when I record in my little home project studio.

With my stuff in a closet it has been a bit since I have hear about decent set of speakers. I have my old Sony towers at my in-laws they just lack so much. I really need to, get out and listen to a good set of home speakers. At least I have my car audio, but dam it's hot in AZ and running the A/C really messes with the sound. Lol

Back