• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Where'd the receiver go? Ideal basic setup...

All joking aside, the main reason I use an HTPC for my local media is that it supports the advanced audio codecs on my Blu-Ray rips. The other reason is the completely kick-ass user interface.

Herasey I say. When did my beloved group of audiophiles resort to saying preamps and receivers are no longer needed. Next Flint will be touting that the Bose 3-2-1 setup is by far the greatest thing ever made. For shame on you heathens for shame. Now excuse me while I dap my tears by listening to my SACD system in 5.1 glory with my Marantz preamp multiple stereo amps and large tower speakers.

I think the original intent was that for people who have only one input, a preamp is not required, and that is true. Actually, even with my very complex system, I don't have a "preamp". My Blu-Ray player's surround outputs are connected directly to the power amplifier's inputs for the surrounds. The front left and right go through what is just a switch and buffered volume control. This box just switches stereo sources and controls volume only for the stereo fronts; when listening to a Blu-Ray disc, the volume control in the player is used to control the overall volume, and the volume control in the switcher is just set all the way up and not used.

All I need to support the gear my main system is a receiver with three HDMI inputs, one optical input, an HDMI ARC output, surround processing and line-level outputs for all channels. A couple more HDMI, another optical and a coax or two would be nice, but I don't currently need them. This is my main system. Even there, I'm down to four sources and honestly only use two 99% of the time. My Blu-Ray player is nearly irrelevant at this point. I could chunk the Google Chromecast Audio and switch everything through the TV if I didn't need lossless audio and surround decoding.

In my main HT I need every input / output (and then some) on my Onkyo 886 pre-pro. Ok, a lot of that is to support "legacy" systems / gear, multiple zones etc. but I don't want to give them up / change - so I don't. I just hope that either the 886 outlives me, or, if I decide to change, that something new with at least as much flexibility be available at the time.

But if I ever wanted to slap together a quick and dirty "system" (say to entertain the neighbourhood during my annual Canada Day block party) then all I'd need would be a pair of speakers, stereo power amp, and my iPod Touch. Would need to be VERY careful not to jack up the Touch's output, so I might choose a spare power amp that has level controls and set them to accommodate the Touch's full output without overdriving the speakers. Which sort of highlights one of the benefits of a pre-amp (besides inputs / switching capabilities.)

Jeff

Back