• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

While I'm Dishing Out Praise...

D

Deleted member 133

While she has been in the news this week for her possible breakup with Captain Jack Sparrow, perhaps many of you are unaware of Vanessa Paradis.

I have long been a fan of her as actrice. Between her and Brigitte Bardot I would have to call it a draw. I'm not talking about Brigitte in her "Save the Seals" role, but rather as Juliete Hardy in Roger Vadim's Et Dieu...crea la femme. Over 30 years later Vanessa played Mathilde Tessier in Jean-Claude Brisseau's Noce Blanche - which was my first exposure to (and of) Ms. Paradis. I encourage you to check it out.

But I digress with movie talk in a music section of the forum...

Vanessa Paradis is also an accomplished chanteuse. Of late I have been assembling a collection of all of her studio and live recordings. The task should soon be completed. For now my vote's in: as she beguiled and allured viewers visually in films such as Noce Blanche, so too does her voice draw you aurally into her recordings.

Sulty, alluring, kittenish (a la Brigitte)... I could go on.

You don't need to know French to appreciate it. It's pop. It's mindless. But it doesn't matter. Just let her voice latch on.

Tandem off her Variations Sur Le Meme T'Aime (nice play on words) album would be a suggested track. (You can find the music video for it easily enough on YouTube.)

And if you want a bit of chuckle, check out her cover of Lou Reed's Walk On The Wild Side off that same album.

Ignoring that one, so far I have been pretty impressed with what I have heard so far.

I'm not suggesting that you rush off to Amazon to order a bunch of her stuff, but if you happen to see any of her CDs in the discount bin, it's well worth the buy.

(I was going to close this post by making a remark to effect that "It's pretty easy to see how Captain Jack's parrot would want that cracker" but I'll be more discrete than that.)

Jeff

No need to pass the praise for the prescient prognostications portrayed below, but...

At tonight's 32nd annual Genie Awards ceremony (the Canadian version of the Academy Awards), the Best Actress award went to ... Vanessa Paradis for her role in Cafe de Flore.

Just pointing out that others, besides I, do recognize this very worthy performer's many talents.

Back