• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Why Buy Music From iTunes?

Towen7 said:
That's exactly why I'm such a fan of subscription services like Rhapsody. You get the opportunity to sample stuff before you buy the disc.
And thats great,but i rarley find any new music that i want the whole disc. Trust me,I wish i could.

I have yet to download anything from iTunes, but were I still a gigging musician it'd be a godsend for me.
When I bought my Nord Electro II (a Hammond Organ simulator) I also picked up a couple books on Hammond technique, and both contained a list of Hammond song "classics", with the registrations ("settings" on the organ) given; an ideal way to "learn the technique". With iTunes, I could've downloaded the dozen or so songs, at $0.99 each, and burned a practice CD, such a deal! (my band broke up before I ever got around to doing that).
Similarly, since I was 19 the band I was currently in would hear a song on the radio, decide to cover it, and whoever's "turn" it was would buy the album to make cassette copies for the others (capturing the whole tune on tape, from the radio, sounds easier than it was). iTunes would've been a godsend there too.
I thought iPods, etc could hold music in a "lossless" format; was that only for your own CDs, and not tunes purchased on iTunes?

Botch said:
I have yet to download anything from iTunes, but were I still a gigging musician it'd be a godsend for me.
When I bought my Nord Electro II (a Hammond Organ simulator) I also picked up a couple books on Hammond technique, and both contained a list of Hammond song "classics", with the registrations ("settings" on the organ) given; an ideal way to "learn the technique". With iTunes, I could've downloaded the dozen or so songs, at $0.99 each, and burned a practice CD, such a deal! (my band broke up before I ever got around to doing that).
Similarly, since I was 19 the band I was currently in would hear a song on the radio, decide to cover it, and whoever's "turn" it was would buy the album to make cassette copies for the others (capturing the whole tune on tape, from the radio, sounds easier than it was). iTunes would've been a godsend there too.
I thought iPods, etc could hold music in a "lossless" format; was that only for your own CDs, and not tunes purchased on iTunes?

That is exactly what my Ipod is full of. I've only bought one song off of itunes and I'm good with that.

I can see why people would like and use itunes.

On the other hand, I've found some great music on CD's I already own, without even knowing it and often the cost of the whole CD is equal to one song on itunes. I can see both sides!

Dennie

And instead of gifts from my kids that collect dust,they know ill always like an itunes gift card

Botch said:
.....I thought iPods, etc could hold music in a "lossless" format; was that only for your own CDs, and not tunes purchased on iTunes?

They can play wav files and Apple Lossless, but as far as I know you can't buy any music from iTunes in those formats. The standard is 128 kbps with "high fidelity" at twice that. The 256 kbps is usually DRM too.

I might be wrong on the DRM part, but I'm pretty sure lossless files are not available on iTunes and other download sights (though HD Tracks might be an exception).

Yesfan70 said:
AndySTL said:
The only reason is convenience for people who want to buy it and listen to it immediately within seconds of the purchase (and are unwilling to go to Amazon.com and buy it there). Otherwise, it makes more sense to buy from the Amazon MP3 store since it's cheaper. That's my take anyway. Sadly, in this day and age I think there are plenty of people who will pay more to do a fraction less work.

Actually, it makes more sense to buy the CD used on Amazon. Much cheaper than MP3 (depending on title), lossless CD sound, and it's a hard copy you can use for back ups.

I agree about downloaded music being more convenient. Nothing will beat that, but I would still rather have the higher quality CD version even if it means me having to wait 2-3 days for that extra savings and quality.

I just wish more people had that same mindset. If they did, then maybe we would see more music from iTunes, Amazon, etc. available in a lossless format like Flac and/or Apple Lossless. Then we would have the best of both worlds....quality AND convenience.

Yes Sir!!! :text-+1: x 1,000

Botch said:

Botch, where did you get these? I am interested, Thanks! :text-threadjacked:

I only buy music from iTunes that I cannot find elsewhere, mostly small-label indy stuff. The reason is that I much prefer lossless overy lossy and I can only get lossless by ripping the disc. What I am going to do though is switch from WMAL to Apple Lossless and subscribe to Apple's cloud service for $25/year. Any music in my iTunes library will then be available to all of my iDevices for portable use directly from the cloud. That gives me the best of both worlds: convenient, high-quality 256k AAC when on the go and perfect lossless audio at home.

I've been ripping everything twice; WMA-L and Apple Lossless. I use the WMA-L at home (Xbox streaming) and Apple lossless on my iDevices. It's kind-of a hassle and I should just get an AppleTV to play music at home.

heeman said:
Botch said:

Sorry Keith I missed this last night. They are:
http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-Organ...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320323952&sr=1-2
and
http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-Organ...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320324023&sr=1-1

The first one is more complete historically (although I have the first edition, and its now in 2nd). The second seems to have just a bit more playing examples. Both, however, are great (and its time for a re-read!).

Botch said:
heeman said:
Botch said:

Sorry Keith I missed this last night. They are:
http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-Organ...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320323952&sr=1-2
and
http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-Organ...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320324023&sr=1-1

The first one is more complete historically (although I have the first edition, and its now in 2nd). The second seems to have just a bit more playing examples. Both, however, are great (and its time for a re-read!).

Thanks Botch!

Back