• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Will 2014 be the year of OLED TVs?

I watched OLED screen at local Best Buy and was impressed with the demo program (made for it) with lots of bright colors. Unless the price is close to existing LCD screens, I'm not sure if the advantage is really worth it. I mean, how many program materials (eye-candy) are there that can really take advantage of OLED's color superiority? Not many. :snooty:

Like Plasma, OLED technology offers far superior darkness levels, contrast (when the material calls for it), and dynamic range than LCD. It also does it with less power consumption and faster response times. In general, it should be better in every way.

LCD is still a filter technology where a bright light is shining through colored filters which are controlled by LCD grids. That is inherently a flawed design. Plasma and OLED both generate light at each pixel, which is more ideal if it can be done affordably and with long life.

Oh my deal Lord I saw my first 50" OLED TV today at all places Best Buy. I'm selling my blood, plasma, first born and Gf to fund one of these bad boys. The black level was beyond belief. I mean literally jaw dropping. They had it next to a 4K display and it blew away the 4K display. Two older guys were standing next to me and one of them said, "If I had that in my house I'd see no reason to ever leave and see the real world". I couldn't agree more. If you haven't seen it yet try to find a store that has one. Best display I have ever seen EVER!!!!!

It was like you could reach your hand thru the set and just touch whatever was there but it was the infinite black levels that were just incredible. Wowzers I need one.

I guess it's safe to say that 2014 wasn't the year of the OLED so do we need to change the title of this thread?

I still think prices need to come waaaay down for OLED to become mainstream. As long as there are cheap LED sets that are "good enough" those will sell far, far better. High-end sets will be exclusively for enthusiasts and those for who price is not a significant factor.

IMHO, the majority of consumers are starting to look at TVs as disposable commodities.

Yea, you really know things have changed with respect to display's when people in Target have a 50" LCD's crammed into a shopping cart!!! Just throw it in like it is a pair of sneakers.........

Towen7 said:
I guess it's safe to say that 2014 wasn't the year of the OLED so do we need to change the title of this thread?

I still think prices need to come waaaay down for OLED to become mainstream. As long as there are cheap LED sets that are "good enough" those will sell far, far better. High-end sets will be exclusively for enthusiasts and those for who price is not a significant factor.

IMHO, the majority of consumers are starting to look at TVs as disposable commodities.

I don't think I've even seen an OLED TV yet. How much are they these days?

I am hoping that OLED prices will be low enough that I can afford to upgrade to an OLED 4k 70-80 inch set by this time next year. I suspect that my worst case is waiting until X-Mas 2016.

I wonder what price premium the market will support for OLED, or if manufacturers will abandon LED in order to sell OLED. We saw with plasma displays that price trumped quality and plasma went away in favor of LCD/LED sets.

Towen7 said:
I wonder what price premium the market will support for OLED, or if manufacturers will abandon LED in order to sell OLED. We saw with plasma displays that price trumped quality and plasma went away in favor of LCD/LED sets.

Exactly.

As long as there are cheap LED sets that are "good enough" those will sell far, far better. High-end sets will be exclusively for enthusiasts and those for who price is not a significant factor.

Agreed, but isn't this the bugaboo of our "hobby"? The "majority of consumers" buy .mp3's, Beats headphones, and Bose speakers; they might as well buy hyped 4K TV's too.
I posted elsewhere my first experience with OLEDs, and like MattB was blown away. I can see the difference between a standard LED and a 4K when I'm 12" or so away, but I can see the difference in an OLED from across the store.
If my LG local-dimming LED burns out tomorrow, I'll be buying the LG 55" OLED the first time it goes back on sale for $3,000, even if it does have a damned curved screen.

The 50" was 3,500 and was speaking with the salesman when I went back a few days later to buy my Roku and he says in a couple months they are going to get the 65" OLED and it will retail for around 6,500 but he says store costs are 4,500 for each set. What was funny is he said the 50" isnt 4K but it clearly beat out the 4K displays it was next to. Wonder how the 4K sets are gonna look.

Still want one desperately though.

Sound & Vision interviewed LG's Director of New Product Development and talked about LG's 65EC9700, their new 65" OLED 4K set ($10,000, wonder if that's the same set MattB's salesman was talking about). The 8 million pixels are "WRGB", including a white pixel for even more High Dynamic Range. Here's a link to the interview: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/match-made-heaven
Were I to buy a set tomorrow, I'd still go with the $3,000 55"-er. I can't see the improvement 4K brings to these smaller sets, there's very little 4K material out there, and I'd have to upgrade both my disk player and probably my receiver.

I'm pretty much removing myself from the OLED market for the foreseeable future. In general, I actively avoid trying to add to systems throughout the house other than my theater. I don't want to give myself too many reasons to not utilize the investment. That doesn't mean that I don't see the value in adding sound bars or bases to improve upon crappy internal TV sound or perhaps a smallish 2.1 setup in the Fam room to crank out some tunes while lounging around with friends and visitors. But I don't want to find myself constantly saying "let's just watch a something in here" cause the family room system is so damn nice. I'll keep my eyes focused on the 4k projector market and continue to invest in my theater performance...at least until the market supplies some really incredible values 3-4 years from now.

That's pretty much my plan as well. But as HT owners we're a very small group. Most of my non-Audio Annex friends won't have a front projection system. To them anything over 55" or so is as close as they'll get to a "home theater".

That said I'm still skeptical that the market will support OLED as long as other displays are 1/2 the price. I hope I'm wrong. The TV market is made up of huge manufacturing operations that depend on the economics of scale. That's significantly different than the makers of high-end speakers and headphones which are much smaller firms that survive by maintaining high margins on low yield products.

I have high hopes for large OLED displays because there is no practical way for me to set up a projector in my current home. I would love to have a dedicated room someday. I have wanted one for years. Unfortunately, I have yet to live in a house where it is practical. My house in Florida did not have a basement and was not big enough to use living space for a theater. I lived in an apartment in Michigan. The house I am in now has no basement and the family room is not very suitable, due to the need for it to serve double-duty as a home gym. That leaves me with large displays and a huge OLED set would give me the best experience possible within the limitations of my room. I could probably get an 80-inch set into my space. I realize that falls far short of a ten foot screen, but it at least gets me into the ballpark.

I still don't think I've seen a OLED display. I kept an eye out for one when we were TV shopping but I don't think I saw one explicitly labeled as OLED.

As I said elsewhere, I did get a 4K display (the Vizio P series have a whole bunch of individual dimming zones) to replace a plasma and I don't think we missed one tiny bit of color quality or black level (but then, that LG plasma was a cheaper one). Maybe OLED is really that much better than 4K... I dunno. I just know that a decent 4K, fed decent source material and calibrated properly, looks really darn good. Better than I even thought it might.

Back