• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Wireless HDMI ?

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Zing has me going with his new PJ. Along time ago I was posting on a thread about HDMI connections/cables...might have been with a post about Flint posting a "new" connector. I had stated I thought the next connection would be wireless from what I had read on the future (may have been on the S&V forum). Is this really happening now , wirelessHD video & audio between our gear ?

I was thinking along the lines....put BR disc in player........video sent to display & audio sent to controller. No HDMI cables. Guess its a dream........from amp to speakers......without wires also.....just dreaming my friends....not in my lifwtime.

Barney - In many different versions the technology exists today. But, if you still need a power cable (which you do), then what is the pain of also using a single HDMI cable? Since consumers are not willing to pay an extra $50 per device for wireless HDMI, and since a single HDMI cable only costs about $10, it doesn't make financial sense for a standard to emerge as the defacto solution.

Basically, would you rather spend more for on the device to get wireless connectivity or would you rather spend much less and use a simple cable.

In the past 10 years we've gone from multiple cables with many connectors between each device to only one cable per source and monitor and a central hub in the receiver. That is a huge move. In the past if you had a game console, disc player, cable box, receiver, and TV, you would need 15 a/v connectors, 7 cable assemblies and five power cables. Today that same setup only needs four HDMI cables and five power cables. If it were all wireless, you would still need five power cables.

I understand the dream, but until we get wireless power, it isn't something people are eager to pay for.

By the way, here's one product doing wireless HDMI that works:

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireles ... 16&sr=8-17

Note the price for a transmitter and receiver... $180 with an extra $130 for each receiver (for support of multile TVs).

If this tech were built into the components and TVs we buy, the added cost would be $50 to $60 per device. For three sources, one receiver and one TV, that's an extra $300 for a HiFi system. The same connectivity with HDMI cables would cost well under $75 (depending on the length of the cables).

I don't think wireless HDMI appeals to those that need a single 10' cable, but rather those that want a display on one side of the room and all the gear on the other.

In the mobility world, wireless display could become one of the "killer apps". Imagine walking into any room in the world and instantly putting whatever content you are carrying on your laptop/tablet/phone onto any display available in that room! I love that idea.

There is a movement to create a wireless "connected devices" world where every single device you own can instantly connect to any device around you in simple and obvious ways. Like a "bump" app for printing to any printer you happen to be standing next to. Or sending a game you are playing on your phone to your PS3 simply by making a tossing action towards the console.

It just makes sense for wireless mobile devices which do not need a constant power source connected to operate.

Back