• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Woo Audio WA6

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
It has begun! :music-rockout:

DSCF4443-XL.jpg

(wow taking a picture of a black metal object with lots of shiny bits is harder than it looks...)

That's the WA6 with the stock tubes. It's a heavy little beast, but actually not that much heavier than my Jade. Tube amps tend to be hefty because of the various transformers.

The WA6 is a SET OTC - output transformer-coupled. In the WA6 circuit design, which I've studied a little bit while trying to better understand tube amp design in general, the large tube is a rectifier - meaning it's part of what transforms the AC wall power into DC current for the amp output. The audio signal does not go through it directly, but according to Jack Wu anyway, it's a critical part of the sound. Each little tube in the WA6 is essentially a two-stage amp, containing two triodes of differing specs. Basically one side of the tube feeds into the other, and then to the output transformer and finally to the headphones. The output transformer is presumably the bulk of the weight, though the case is pretty thick heavy metal too.

This is very different from my Jade, where the (single) small tube and the large tube both have two identical channels, but the large tube is a dual triode not a rectifier, so the audio signal goes directly through both tubes, first the little one and then that feeds into the big one, then out to the headphones; the Jade is OTL - output transformer-less. Its weight is mainly in the transformer used for AC power conversion, not done with tubes in this case.

Anyway, sorry, not trying to sound snooty or lecture over-much, just passing on a little of what I've learned.

So, on to some listening. I've just recently done some critical listening with the Jade, though I briefly repeated the 10 demo tracks on it this morning. First up, I will listen to the WA6 with the stock tubes.

To be continued...

DSCF4447-X2.jpg

Stock tubes: Russian 5U4G (rectifier), and a pair of GE 6CY7.

Impressions: this is a step up from the Jade. The amp definitely has a little more "oomph" to it, seems I don't have to push it quite as hard and it has more headroom. No audible distortion - or only a very, very little, I'm not sure - in the place where it was apparent with the Jade. I don't know if it's a fundamental problem with the Jade or its tubes, or if they're just being pushed a little too hard with my low-impedance headphones. The bass response of the WA6 is also improved. My impression is that this is mostly a power issue, but I can't really back that up.

Detail and separation is pretty good, but the soundstage isn't as wide as with the Jade (with GOOD tubes).

Overall, I'd say yeah even stock this is better than the Jade in most ways, but not all.

Wow, nice!

Really surprised by your comment about the soundstage as that is one thing that most owners of this amp rave about. Also instrument separation should be quite better then what you are experiencing.
I think you need to pair that amp with different headphones to see if it makes it better.
Wanna try the HD650's? I can send you mine for a few days to do some comparing!

I was hoping that more people would chime in and want to try some of this stuff.

Hang on Walls, I'm getting there. :eusa-whistle:

DSCF4451-X2.jpg

Here's the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B. This thing is sexy as hell. Cool shiny silver parts, and when you turn it on, you can see the inverted V of the glowing filament through the mesh plate, looks ultra-cool. This is a monster tube, too, here's the stock and the Sophia side by side:

DSCF4433-XL.jpg

So the sound... now we're getting somewhere. Yeah, this tube makes a pretty substantial difference. I definitely don't regret the $$ I spent on it (and it wasn't cheap). Note I've still got the original GE 6CY7 in there at this time, so I've changed only the rectifier. The soundstage is now much improved, noticeably wider. Detail and separation/isolation of individual instrument sounds is clearer. (Again, I think these all go hand-in-hand.) Bass is a bit tighter. Tone is nice overall.

Now I'm really starting to enjoy this amp. What I mean here, is that part of what makes an amp (or any other audio gear) "good" is ultimately the level of emotional engagement it engenders. I know it's good when I've been listening to the same 10 songs over and over, and suddenly I just don't want to stop listening to any of the tracks, as opposed to just listening to the "demo part" - particular bits of each one where I'm looking for something specific.

There are still a few very very tiny little things I'm hearing in a couple of tracks, I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're weaknesses in the recordings... hard to tell for sure. But I still have another set of tubes to get to. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Walls, I owned a Senn 580 at one point, was pretty unimpressed. I've heard 650's a bit, though I haven't spent a lot of time with them, initial impression is that they weren't much different from the 580.

Next up will be the 6FD7 tubes, which I also bought from Jack. All I can make out on the tube itself is "6FD7 USA" - but from pics on google, I think they're GE, they look like these:

$_3.JPG

Here's my own pic of these "fat bottle" tubes next to the stock 6CY7:

DSCF4437-XL.jpg

I haven't even plugged them into the amp yet, been too busy today... hopefully will get to it tonight when the little noise generators are in bed. At least I can crank headphones without waking them up! (Heeman... :teasing-neener: )

The 650's can be very disappointing when not being powered correctly, but maybe the Senn sound sig isn't for you. ;)

Yeah... not sure. Got an HD800 I could borrow? Then I'll tell you for sure. :laughing-rolling:

Ok so I put in the 6FD7 last night and did some listening. I think it was an incremental improvement, but quite a bit less of an obvious difference as there was when putting in the Sophia. A little improvement in soundstage and imaging precision. Amp sounds really good now, and I can solidly state (ha!) that it's a better amp than the Jade. Maybe someday I'll do some more rolling with the drive/power tubes, but for now I'm happy with it and am gonna spend some serious time getting to know this little baby.

My DAC can handle 24/96 audio, may try hooking it up to my PC with optical toslink, and go through some of my DVD-A material...

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to comparing the WA6 with the Meier Corda Classic when it arrives, hopefully soon. Then I'll finally be able to put the nail in the coffin of Flint's insistence that all ss amps are inherently better. :teasing-neener: Ok ok, I'll try to be objective. No promises.

Couple other thoughts that occur to me...

First, this amp is dead quiet. When there's no input signal, there's absolutely zero detectable hiss or hum. That's as it should be with a good amp.

Second, I went back to my HT and listened really carefully to the one problem track (a violin solo) where I heard some "distortion" in the headphones. Yes, it's still there, even with the speakers. It's slight, one of those things you'd notice only if you know to look for it, and only with extremely careful attention. I don't know if it's a problem with the recording gear, or some odd echo in the room, or what. I can't tell. It's certain, though, that the Jade was exaggerating this noise, for whatever reason. My gut feeling is that I was pushing the Jade to its output limit with my low-impedance headphones, at which point distortion is apparent in weird ways, just like when an ss amp is pushed too hard. I will assert, without proof, that it's not an inherent limitation in a tube amp. Just that a small tube amp can only produce so much current.

Lastly, I think tube amps are sold with cheap stock tubes, because it's generally assumed that the buyer is going to roll his/her own tubes anyway. Certainly true of tube amps in the head-fi market, which Jack Wu is very aware of. Zing made the comment to me that an amp of this price shouldn't need new tubes; my response is - yeah, it's pretty much expected that it should. Of course, it also doesn't come with a power cord, since people will replace that with their "audiophile" cords, too. So... well. YMMV.

PaulyT said:
Zing made the comment to me that an amp of this price shouldn't need new tubes;
I said nothing of the kind. I simply made reference to your spending $300 in upgrades on a $600 headphone amp. Nothing more, nothing less.

A tube amp is only as good as its tubes. I'm aware of individuals who spent $1,200.00 Siemens & Halske E88CC CCa 6922 installed in $600.00 amps.

Rope

Yeah. Head-fi'ers are insane, some of them.

I lucked-out on one of the first batches of Lorenz Stuttgart 7DJ8 PCC88's, when no one had a clue about their holographic attributes. Currently NOS Lorenz 7DJ8 PCC88 do not exist, well until someone discovers a box full in a dusty, dirty warehouse in Stuttgard Germany.

Rope

I think this is a very cool thread Pauly!!! I am so happy you now own the WOO! Honestly, I miss seeing it.

AnyWOO! I have read the thread. You are so enjoying yourself with a new found passion. Or, maybe one that you resurrected? Nice, on so many levels.

Enjoy my friend. Also, luv the Woo!!!! I am sure you will! :handgestures-thumbup:

Yeah I'm lovin' it. I use headphones nearly every day, so this was a worthwhile investment, for sure.

Even though you are completely insane and this amp is a huge waste of money for anyone ever, at least you are enjoying music. that's what matters even if it is driven out of the mental magic of the grand placebo.

Jeez, that was a bit harsh. Sorry, man.

Flint said:
Even though you are completely insane and this amp is a huge waste of money for anyone ever, at least you are enjoying music. that's what matters even if it is driven out of the mental magic of the grand placebo.

Jeez, that was a bit harsh. Sorry, man.

I guess that the headphone output on my receiver should sound just as good as my WOO then? I wish you would have told me that before I bought it. :handgestures-thumbup:

I don't buy into burn in, better cables etc. but please don't ell me that all three of my headphone amps sound the same and that one isn't any better then the other.
Of course if I was listening to them through the 701's that may be true because they sound weak on all three. Yep I owned them, and sold them very quickly. :teasing-neener:

So have you (PaulyT) had the time to REALLY listen to the WOO? Yesterday I got to spend about three hours just listening to music. I listened to things I haven't in a long time and have never heard on my WOO/Bifrost combo and I found myself actually enjoying rather then critiquing the music.

:music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening:

Back