• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

wood grain vinyl veener

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I see this mentioned with some brands of speakers. What is the difference between it and typical wood grain veneer? Is "vinyl veneer" looked upon as more costing saving (if it is) or is it "cheap" as if sub par to the real thing.

I know in the end, it doesn't matter when it comes to sound quality, but have seen this term more than once, so I had to ask.

Well, "vinyl" veneer is printed plastic. It's plastic, but the grain is even. Its easily damaged.
Real "Veneer" is thinly-sliced wood. Its as easily damaged as plastic. And the grain is usually even.

Botch said:
Well, "vinyl" veneer is printed plastic. It's plastic, but the grain is even. Its easily damaged.
Real "Veneer" is thinly-sliced wood. Its as easily damaged as plastic. And the grain is usually even.

So I guess it's like comparing laminate flooring to actual hardwood flooring. Both look good, but it's a question on whether one wants the real thing or not. I think the main thing that probably bothers me for vinyl veneer is it's longevity. Seems on a couple of websites I was looking, vinyl based wood veneer is good for about 5 years. If that's true, then I would think that would be inexcusable for a loudspeaker application.

I re veneered some infinity s a while back with wood grain. Made them look wayyyy better.

I'm not very helpful when mixed with Shiraz... :text-imsorry:

Back