• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Woodstock - Snapshot of the American Waistline

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I'm working bombs in Tooele again this week, so watching a lot of TV in the evenings. VH1 is showing the Woodstock doc, which I haven't watched in at least a decade, probably longer. Something that struck me this time, hard, was how skinny everyone is. Granted, most of the folks (workers, musicians, fans) are young, but they're essentially all thinner than the average grade-schooler today. Wow.
I also need to google Ritchie Halen's guitar tuning. This "first act" beat the living sh*t out of his acoustic, and thumbed barr-chords his whole set, but made the damn thing sing! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Botch said:
I'm working bombs in Tooele again this week, so watching a lot of TV in the evenings. VH1 is showing the Woodstock doc, which I haven't watched in at least a decade, probably longer. Something that struck me this time, hard, was how skinny everyone is. Granted, most of the folks (workers, musicians, fans) are young, but they're essentially all thinner than the average grade-schooler today. Wow.
I also need to google Ritchie Halen's guitar tuning. This "first act" beat the living sh*t out of his acoustic, and thumbed barr-chords his whole set, but made the damn thing sing! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I always found it amazing how he could make something out of those thumbed chords!

Yes, we are getting fatter. It's evolution, kids don't play anymore, our foods are fast and chemical loaded.....etc etc. But did you ever notice howmheavy most of the people are in photos of our founding fathers? Is that because they were wealthy and didn't do much?

-B- said:
But did you ever notice howmheavy most of the people are in photos of our founding fathers? Is that because they were wealthy and didn't do much?

At that time (and really most of the past going back centuries) it was considered a sign of wealth and success to be "portly". Only those that had a lot could afford to eat the amount to make you fat and not have to work it off.

That view was actually held up until the early 20th century (look at pics of the "robber barons" of the late 19th early 20th century). William Howard Taft our 27 President and 10th Chief Justice of the supreme Court was huge (332 lbs) and actually got stuck in the regular bath tub at the White House and had to have a special bath tub brought in to hold his girth. It's said his bath tub could hold 4 "normal" sized men.

It is relatively recently (in historical terms) that "very thin" has been "good".

So I'm not fat - I was just born 100 years too late. :laughing:

That's actually true with a lot of tribal cultures as well MZ. The men with larger mid-sections are considered more desirable due to their ability (success) in hunting and, well, living the "life of luxury".

In 1950, the average adult male weighed 150 lbs. Today the average adult male weighs 200 lbs. Think about how many people you know that weigh over 200 lbs. Think about how many more diabetics there are now. I personally know a husband and wife that collect disability because they are too big to work. And their daughter is very overweight too. They all have medical issues related to their weight.

I have lost 110 lbs, because I was scared of the chest pains I was feeling all of the time, and I don't want my girls to grow up without a daddy. I am in the best shape I've been in since college (I still have a way to go), and I feel like a million bucks. I hope that more people are learning how to take better care of themselves. Watching older movies (like Woodstock) really brings that stuff to light.

jamhead said:
That's actually true with a lot of tribal cultures as well MZ. The men with larger mid-sections are considered more desirable due to their ability (success) in hunting and, well, living the "life of luxury".
Heavier dude won't be a good hunter. It will compromise his speed and endurance. :think:

Back