• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Worth upgrading a Fire Stick?

Towen7

Staff member
I have an Amazon FireSticks vintage March 2018 Which I haven’t used in at least a year. I fired it up today and after updating the device and apps am finding it slow and laggy with apps I plan to use a lot (HBOmax, Disney+, AT&T tv). Its definitely not a network issue as it has a wired connection to my 1Gb service.

Would you guys think that a new one may perform better?
One thing that give me pause is that on Amazon’s product page they reference that the 4K version was released in 2018.
Oddly the non-4K model was updated in 2020 ... but as I have a 4K set I’d prefer that.

This might help:

...although if I were a rich married guy with a 4K TV, a new Stick would be my choice.

I need to see if it runs the AT&Ttv app <— edit*** all evidence indicates it does NOT

Can anyone with this device confirm if the AT&Ttv app is available in the play store for this device? From what I can tell it’s only on on Google’s store for mobile devices

Would also be nice if I could hardwire an Ethernet connection <— edit*** Google sells a $20 Ethernet adapter

8631F462-8DBE-4BB6-A560-66FC64CB3D0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Roku has the AT&t app so . . . but wait then no HBO MAX

f1b73d76872a7267f691738c6621c7d9.jpg

Last edited:
Would also be nice if I could hardwire an Ethernet connection <— edit*** Google sells a $20 Ethernet adapter
you can use apparently any usb c hubs for it, provided it has a proper power brick to handle it. it was shown with our favorite canadian, tech with brett.

i dont have the chromecast set up yet, still NIB. sorry towen.

Roku has the AT&t app so . . . but wait then no HBO MAX

f1b73d76872a7267f691738c6621c7d9.jpg

LOL
Fragmentation is infuriating.
Google is pushing their own live TV device so no AT&T tv app.
Roku wants to change the revenue splits so no HBOmax
I really like how the AT&T box handles their TV app but they're pushing their own premium movie platform so no Disney+

Google TV supports both, but I thought HBO Max finally made a deal with Roku (or was that Peacock?).

You sure?
Everything Ive seen says that there is no ATTtv app on Chromecast and the only support is to "cast" from a mobile device running the app.
Thats certainly not how I want to experience live TV.

You sure?
Everything Ive seen says that there is no ATTtv app on Chromecast and the only support is to "cast" from a mobile device running the app.
Thats certainly not how I want to experience live TV.

Google TV is the latest iteration of Android TV.

Google TV is the latest iteration of Android TV.

Yeah
I know
Not relevant if the app isn't available in the store for that specific device. Everything I'm seeing says that there is no ATTtv app for Chromecast with Google TV and to watch ATTtv you have to cast from a mobile device to the Chromecast with Google TV. I'm also seeing posts about how to "side load" the app using Amazon's App Store ... but the process seems complicated and more than I want to bite off.

This video on side loading onto the Chromecast With Google TV specifically mentions ATTtv being non supported and needing to side loaded. So ... not an option

Back