• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Would 120Hz/240Hz processing cause this type of pictur flaw?

Kazaam

My buddy just got a new LED TV with 240Hz motion-reducing blur technology (Sony model kdl-55hx800).

I'll try my best to describe what I saw: Lots of times specific images, like people, had a cookie-cutter look to them... like they were just placed on top of a background image... kind of like a bad blue-screen overlay where the people in a certain scene looked detached from the background images. (Or slightly similar to a bad 3D demo where you get different layers of 2D... but note we're still talking about a 2D picture here as the effect was much less pronounced than that; though, fwiw, the TV is apparently upgradable to 3D, if that matters).

Most of the content I saw was via DirecTV watching the movie "Talladega Nights" on TBS but I think I saw it occasionally on other channels, too. It was subtle, but I found it annoying.

Re: Would 120Hz/240Hz processing cause this type of pictur f

I usually associate that sort of image when HD scaling is on and the sharpness is cranked up. Try turning off all forms of noise reduction, image "improvements", and turn down the sharpness.

I'm finally figuring out that source material has a lot to do with video flaws. My go-to reference video show-off is Coraline on Bluray; it just looks stunning with no video flaws that I can make out.
The local CBS news looks really good too, as long as its studio-shot; when they're on location, the camera they use puts distortion on, say diagonal stripes on someone's tie (don't know what that's called). It's not my TV.
I've also noticed, for whatever reason, the Cooking Channel is broadcast in 2.35:1 (I have black bars top and bottom) but the filming is done in 4:3! If I set my TV to 4:3 then the picture is not distorted (black bars on both sides). That's the only channel that does that, and I don't bother to reset my TV for that one channel anymore (Rachael Ray looks cute with chubby cheeks anyway).

Thanks, Flint/Botch. I'll keep those changes in mind. And I'll double-check just to make sure that it is a problem with most everything and not just an isolated incident. (I kind of tried to channel surf a bit, and I'm pretty sure I saw it elsewhere but now my memory is getting a little hazy... so best for me to check again just to be sure.)

It'll probably be a few weeks before I next get a chance to see the set. And my buddy thought the picture was quite nice already, so I hate being the guy that says, "You need to change your settings", but maybe I'll figure out a good way to say it, if I think I can improve things. The reviews on the TV from other folks at places like Amazon seem to indicate the TV should be fairly decent. Not that those are professional reviews, mind you, but there isn't much of anything negative that anyone says.

Should I also be checking to see what resolution his DirecTV is outputting at? Do those boxes even have that kind of setting?

For instance, my cable box gives me a choice of either 720p or 1080i for HD content. And, of course, some networks broadcast in 720p and others in 1080i, so sometimes it'll be a matter of which device---the box or the TV---can convert to 1080p the best; but my best guess would be that he'd have the best luck overall by having the DirecTV output 1080i (or is 1080p maybe an option w/DirecTV now, if it's there?)

The TV should do all the converting. Set the source box to output at the signal's native resolution and let the TV do all the work.

When I was recently in Las Vegas I got to spend about an hour with a commercial grade video scaling system, the kind of device which takes up four rack spaces and has loud fans to keep the processors cool as they work. When I learned when scaling video, even when simply converting from 720p to 1080i or 1080p is that when not done properly the output looks odd. The part of the image which is in focus becomes hyper focused and the part of the image which is even slightly blurry becomes extremely blurry. This makes the main characters of an image, like the people, seem to pop out of the screen as if they were super-imposed on a fake background.

This is why I made the recommendation.

I believe it's called the "soap opera" effect - there's a lot of information on it but basically do what Flint said in the first thread and that should take care of it.

Look for adjustments to "Judder" and "Blur Reduction" in the menu.

Don't just turn it off, it greatly affects the quality of the image when the screen pans quickly left/right/up/down.

I bet there is a firmware update for his set that will improve the PQ, but you'll still have to monkey with the settings.

D

Back