• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Would you want to "know better"?

TKoP

Well, it looks like I may be in the market for a new set of IEM's as they have gone missing (probably hanging out with the phone handset also currently AWOL).

So, me being me, I start my exhaustive search for what will be the best set of IEM's in the $100-$150 price range. First step was to check out the reviews on Head-fi by ljokerl, who obviously has way too much time on his hands. The clear winner on his list for my price range is the HiFiMan RE262. Of major importance to me is the sound quality rating of 9.1/10 he gives these ear-phones. However, when you read the review, you can see this in his conclusions:
  • There is no doubt in my mind that the older RE252 is the more neutral and accurate set, but it is also the more boring one. The RE262, on the other hand, is quite captivating with its greater (albeit not too great) bass weight, smooth and forward mids, and laid-back, non-fatiguing treble.
The implication being that the sound is colored, but in a good way to ljokerl.

If you read some of the reviews for headphones and/or earphones on this site, we have a similar opinions shared by our users where some will admit that, say, the warmer sounding Senn HD650's are better than the more analytical AKG 701's. And then there is the issue of even and odd harmonics from amplifiers that, frankly, I can't hear under normal circumstances, but drive someone like SoundHound crazy.

So the question I've got bouncing around in my noodle is what path to tread -- continue to, hmm, "educate"(?) my ears with a "neutral" sounding set of iems/headphones/speakers/etc or go for something more fun?

On a re-read, there looks to be a connotation in the question that I don't mean to imply, i.e., I really don't know if one or the other is better.

But there are consequences to both paths. If I go down the educated route, will I start getting antsy with my own set up since I'm not set up properly or the amp is just a run of the mill a/v receiver rather than a good separate amp or that my speakers/headphones/iems have a turned up treble or hot bass or...?
On the other hand, going the route of fun, do I lose out on some of the subtler shadings that were intended by whatever music I'm listening to? Or maybe I get "bored" unless my bass is turned up to 11?

So, there you go... discuss.

Good topic Tkop! I would say that there was a time, before finding S&V, that I was happier with my cheap speakers. Then, after finding S&V and getting a good education, it was more about tweaking to get the most out of what I had, and getting better speakers. I can't say I was happier without knowledge, content is probably a better word, and that's where I find myself at today, content to just enjoy what I have. The only thing I am unhappy with right now, is I can't seem to find the time to just sit back and listen to music.

That's a tough call. I would get both and see what you like better, and sell the other. :laughing:

Really, there's no way, I think, to say which is "better" without trying both.

FYI, I picked up some used VSonic GR07 for ~$150 (also on head-fi), and I couldn't be happier. But as it's only my second set of IEMs (first was Phonak Audeo PFE), I have little to compare it to.

Ultimately it depends on the users listening preference. Each IEM will have it's own proprietary sound signature. If one chooses to go with a neutral sound, then that person can color the output to his or her satisfaction, or not, depending on their sound goal.

Because a particular IEM creates an exciting sound and draws the listener in, in my opinion, isn't a bad thing. If it trips your trigger and make you happy, regardless if it's neutral/flat, or not, drop hammer. Your the one spending the cash and listening to your new IEM's. The only person who needs to be happy and satisfied is you.

I'd probably go to a Guitar Center with my own portable rig and comply tips and give them all a go. Lets face it, you hear differently, or may have a different sound goal than |Joker|, or anyone else for that matter. I think |Joker| provides a good starting point for persons interested in purchasing IEMs.

Rope

Rope said:
If it trips your trigger and make you happy, regardless if it's neutral/flat, or not, drop hammer. Your the one spending the cash and listening to your new IEM's. The only person who needs to be happy and satisfied is you.
This!

How can I make little clones of myself running all over the world preaching my view that everything should sound the way I say it should sound if people keep following advice to follow their tastes?

^--- :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Just looking at the outsides of peoples' ears reveals a huge variation. I can't help believe that the inner canal of everyone's ears are different too, different acoustic space, hair, wax, hard surfaces, floor treatments, etc.
Try out what you can and pick the ones you like; done.
And, if you have your ears professionally cleaned every few years, like I do, it changes the sound completely and you go :teasing-tease:

My main IEMs are a pair of Westone UM1s, which I think provide a very balanced sound for the money (~$120). I needed a cheap pair to leave at work and scored pair of $6.50 EIMs from Monoprice that sound shockingly good for the money. Remember those cheap Insignia speakers at Best Buy a few years back that blew us away with their price/performance ratio? These earphones are definitely the equivalent. Do they sound as good as my UM1s? No, but they sound way better than half as good at 5% the cost. They are perfect for situations where you don't want to risk a good pair getting lost, stolen or damaged.

Just to get technical and scientific about it...

There is a new study being discussed which put perceived performance of headphones compared to the standard adjustment curves used for measuring headphones. What they discovered was that what the trained listeners generally agreed was a "flat" and "linear" sound characteristic was reflected as far from "flat" amplitude response after the measured response was put through a filter universally accepted as being the accurate transform for converting measurements to perceived performance.

In other words, the measurement made of a headphone does not reflect what we hear due to all the crazy acoustical stuff the sound goes through. So they use a standard response transform curve to alter the measurement to reflect what we perceive. This new study says that transform is not realistic.

The authors of the study are recommending more research to create more accurate transforms for measuring headphone performance.

Many of you have seen the curves produced using industry standard instrument over at HeadFi. You may have noticed that the measured responses of popular "accurate" headphones are not flat like you would expect from a speaker.

That is the issue I am talking about.

So, with headphones, tuning for accurate performance is based as much on listening to the end product as it is measuring it - making it difficult to get a predictable performance at affordable development costs.

Huey said:
Sorry, looks like I misread the post.

If you're talking about mine, then nope, you got it.

BTW, I think as a general rule, I'm leaning towards going with the neutral sound. The whole thing there is that I think the longer I"m in this hobby, the more my taste will naturally run towards the "right way" of listening. I.e., I'll be a Flint/SH clone someday. :text-nocomment:

TKoP said:
Huey said:
Sorry, looks like I misread the post.

If you're talking about mine, then nope, you got it.

BTW, I think as a general rule, I'm leaning towards going with the neutral sound. The whole thing there is that I think the longer I"m in this hobby, the more my taste will naturally run towards the "right way" of listening. I.e., I'll be a Flint/SH clone someday. :text-nocomment:

IMO that's a good choice and not because it's the "right way",(didn't know there was such a thing) but because you're able to "color" your listening experience and still maintain the neutral reference/standard if you choose.

Rope

Back