• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

WOW! - Verdi Requiem Dies irae

nelmr

Wow! I never heard this piece before. The HSU sub had a demo cd and part of this was on track 5. The dynamics of this recording are quite something. The so called "natural" level of this track is to play back 4:58 on the demo cd at 76dB. I only went up to 70dB. I assume the beginning of the track is near full scale on the CD. I emailed HSU inquiring what the dynamic range is of the beginning vs. the 4:58 mark. I'm curious.

What is the best recording of this available? Both from a sound quality and dynamics point of view. CD or SACD/DVD-Audio.

From the amazon MP3 samples and my Shure 210 IEMs, I like the second one a lot. The telarc (which I'm usually partial to - the first sample), doesn't seem to have the same dynamics of the drum especially. The HSU cd was the Boston Symphony Orchestra by the way.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I was surprised at how loud and large the drum felt with the HSU sample cd. It was almost scary. The SQ of that recording though is so so (a bit of noise, could hear doors opening and shutting, etc).

Re: Verdi Requiem Dies irae

nelmr said:
The SQ of that recording though is so so (a bit of noise, could hear doors opening and shutting, etc).

If you can hear doors opening and shutting, I'd say that's a pretty dang good recording. At least if the criteria of a good recording is reproducing the live experience.

Re: Verdi Requiem Dies irae

Aaron German said:
nelmr said:
The SQ of that recording though is so so (a bit of noise, could hear doors opening and shutting, etc).

If you can hear doors opening and shutting, I'd say that's a pretty dang good recording. At least if the criteria of a good recording is reproducing the live experience.

Well, I didn't think about that. You may be right. But I did find this type of stuff a bit distracting. However, I am willing to be forgiving of stuff like this is the performance and dynamics are good. I just haven't been able to directly compare yet.

By the way the HSU recording is from this CD.

There are A LOT of recordings of the Verdi Requiem, hard to narrow down to just one without having heard them all. Stuff by Solti/CSO is usually pretty reliable. The one I have is a live recording with Muti from La Scala (an opera house, not the speakers ;)). I really like it, and yeah the big bass drum on the Dies Irae is very cool; this is one of my demo/reference tracks.

61aSHKaGW8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PaulyT said:
There are A LOT of recordings of the Verdi Requiem, hard to narrow down to just one without having heard them all. Stuff by Solti/CSO is usually pretty reliable. The one I have is a live recording with Muti from La Scala (an opera house, not the speakers ;)). I really like it, and yeah the big bass drum on the Dies Irae is very cool; this is one of my demo/reference tracks.

61aSHKaGW8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I found the MP3 sample of that album here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back