• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Xbox 360 newbie, any suggestions?

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
so, sister in law is going to get me a xbox360, and well, im not used to this console.

comparisons aside, are there any games that i should be looking into that are 360 exclusive?

ive been youtubin

gears of war - not my kinda game i think,

halo 1 - i guess if im going to dive into halo, i have to start at the beginning right? but it felt, er.... cartoony i guess, no disrespect.

i guess i want to find games that would be solid enough for me to invest in. no choice for me, she got it for me because she felt guilty i couldnt 'borrow' it without using her gamer tag. i just wanted to try out witcher 2.

i plan to get titanfall, but it also requires the membership thingy.

tips, thoughts, suggestions? the one i think shes getting is the 4g one. i cant really tell if its the older version or the slim one. regarding consoles, which one is better?

thank you sir.

The originaL XBOX 360 suffered from the dreaded red-ring-of-death (affectionately known as RROD) caused mostly from poor heat management. The "slim" chassis were released after this was identified and corrected. I'm sure there are versions with the older chassis that have been modified by MS internally to manage the heat better. I don't know how to tell but I'm sure you can find an Xbox forum where all that is laid out.

Sounds like you'v already dismissed the biggest Xbox exclusive titles (Halo, Gears, and Titanfall).

Oldies but goodies;
Ace Combat 6
Forza (1-5)
Fable
Crackdown
Left 4 Dead (1,2)

i wanted to learn more about the exclusives ive mentioned, asking if storywise theyre solid. if so, i can definitely overlook the age of these exclusives and go with it.

i hope sis in law got the slim, if not, well, its free. so for that i am grateful.

i guess there are certain games where the 'look and feel' of it does get to me. a biggy i will regret? never playing mass effect games. same with bioshock.

left 4 dead - can i play that campaign mode by myself, or do i need to go online as well?

Jomari if you're interested in Mass Effect I'll mail you the trilogy. It's cool but it's so in depth, I don't have the time. I'd rather play Zelda or an Arkham Game...

Batman said:
Jomari if you're interested in Mass Effect I'll mail you the trilogy. It's cool but it's so in depth, I don't have the time. I'd rather play Zelda or an Arkham Game...

Thanks batman, i think im going to decline for now. i still have a couple of open world games as well that i have to tackle. sadly, i dont have the same time either to do open worlds as much as i did when i worked at the front office.

Again, much appreciate the gesture...

No problem, the offer remains open to you or anyone else who would like to try them.

If you're going to start with Halo 1, get the anniversary edition that is redone and native on the 360. Halo 2 will need to be emulated, all the others are 360 native.

Those are really the only real 360 exclusive games I bothered with.

jomari said:
i wanted to learn more about the exclusives ive mentioned, asking if storywise theyre solid. if so, i can definitely overlook the age of these exclusives and go with it.

left 4 dead - can i play that campaign mode by myself, or do i need to go online as well?

The Halo story is very good. It's spawned a series of comics and books and mini-games. There have been rumors of a Halo movie but it's still hasn't seen the light of day. There's no reason NOT to play the series all he way through side you can get previously played copies for cheap.

Gears of War is a lot of fun to play but the story, IMHO, gets a big ole' meh. It's pretty gory but bit as creepy as Bioshock or Mass Effect.

Towen7 said:
jomari said:

The Halo story is very good. It's spawned a series of comics and books and mini-games. There have been rumors of a Halo movie but it's still hasn't seen the light of day. There's no reason NOT to play the series all he way through side you can get previously played copies for cheap.

Gears of War is a lot of fun to play but the story, IMHO, gets a big ole' meh. It's pretty gory but bit as creepy as Bioshock or Mass Effect.

hell yeah! okay, im sold. so i should get the anniversary version of halo right?

what about halo 2 and all... i think there are 5 of them.

are there any halo games i should NOT get?

what about alan wake, ok, meh... opinions?

stil playing dark souls 2. its a bitch to play, my wife now knows how much i like the word that sounds like blunt a lot.

jomari said:
hell yeah! okay, im sold. so i should get the anniversary version of halo right?

what about halo 2 and all... i think there are 5 of them.

are there any halo games i should NOT get?

Yes, get the anniversary edition... it's the same thing as the original Halo: Combat Evolved but with graphics updated to high definition and everything is native to the Xbox 360.

Halo 2 is worth playing, but it will need to run emulated on the 360. IMO, it is good to play for story reasons but is otherwise no big deal.

Halo 3 is a great game. Every bit as good as Halo:CE, if not better.

Halo: ODST and Halo: Reach are built off the Halo 3 engine. They're also fun games... they don't have quite the impact of 1 or 3, but are worth the time.

Halo 4 was done by another studio (not Bungie, who came up with Halo, but 343 Industries). It just didn't do it for me... I played through it but if I never pick it up again I don't feel like I'll miss anything. IMO, Halo 4 is where the franchise jumped the shark and you just miss what used to be.

T'were I to rank them, best to worst:
Halo 3
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo: Reach
Halo 2
Halo: ODST
Halo 4

It's just my opinion, but I've been a fan of Bungie's work since the Marathon days (you can get Marathon 2: Durandal on the Xbox Live Arcade if you want some old school action... the game itself dates back to 1995 or so), and when Bungie turned it over to Microsoft it just lost something.

Out of curiosity

can I play halo 3 without 2, or should you highly suggest I get 2 as well? How do I port it, does the 360 have something similar to ps3s ps2 classics?

I also saw halo reach, this piqued my inrerest, should I play this before halo one?

how shall I play halo? Story wise?

Any other games?

jomari said:
Out of curiosity

can I play halo 3 without 2, or should you highly suggest I get 2 as well? How do I port it, does the 360 have something similar to ps3s ps2 classics?

I also saw halo reach, this piqued my inrerest, should I play this before halo one?

how shall I play halo? Story wise?

Any other games?

You can play 3 without 2... you won't miss anything in terms of gameplay. You will miss a touch of story, but it's nothing that you can't pick up with a few minutes of reading.* The 360 has a built in emulator for original Xbox games... you can just pop in the disc and it will download what it needs (or somesuch like that).

Halo:Reach doesn't need to be played before the first one, even though it happens before then. Actually, you'll probably get more out of it if you don't play it first- while you'll more or less know how it ends, that's part of the magic- you're fighting heroically in what is ultimately a futile effort.

Story wise, they go in this order:
Halo:CE
Halo 2
Halo 3 (picks up right on the heels of 2)
Halo: ODST (happens during the events of 3)
Halo: Reach (happens not long before CE)
Halo 4

I'm not aware of too many other 360 exclusives, which is what I understood you were asking about- while I like the Grand Theft Auto series, those were also out for PS4.

* Here's the reading that will fill you in on the important bits:
- The Arbiter... http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Thel_%27Vadam
- The story of Halo 2... http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_2

thank you all for the great help!

with this in mind, i think im going to go for halo CE and follow thru with 3... read up instead via blogs and youtube stuff on halo 2 afterwards...

i really appreciate the help on this one, will update this when i get the box. i hope its the slim one, other than that, im going to be playing the witcher 2 first for a while.

again, many many thanks for your help guys. :text-bravo:

mazersteven said:
lulimet said:
Amazon had Titanfall for $37 yesterday.

How is this game? Is it appropriate for a 7 year old. Can you as shut the language and gore off?

My son wants this so bad. You try to screen them from all this but its impossible. There friends at school have and word of mouth. I relented and got him Black opps II and Ghosts. He went through those missions like a breeze and now just has fights with the zombies with his buds online. He is 9 bad dad? I don't know but his school report cards improved when I relented.

The real problem with online gaming is that you need to expect to put up with a LOT of vulgarity, hate, and cheating if you open yourself to playing with anyone other than a group of friends. It's a problem that Sony and MS really needs to fix.

Towen7 said:
The real problem with online gaming is that you need to expect to put up with a LOT of vulgarity, hate, and cheating if you open yourself to playing with anyone other than a group of friends. It's a problem that Sony and MS really needs to fix.

i concur. its not that the game that contains such, its the players at one point or another that will be the affluence or sets the tone of the matches.

remember, titanfall is an 'online' only game, with a single player campaign mode still 'dependent' on other teammates online to play with you.

recently got my xbox, got this one thanks to sister in law.

Xbox_360_E.jpg

i was planning on getting a new hard drive for this, even the el cheapo version on amazon, the 320g for 50 clams, but thought that i can essentially play some games with installing and then uninstalling games first on the 4gig unit. then delete. or use a flash drive instead to load up stuff...

starting off with witcher 2, then plan on getting metro 2033 as its the game i really wanted to play that i remembered recently today...

Back