• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

XBOX ONE

Huey

Famous
Surprised no thread on this yet. I like the fact that it looks like it could blend in well with the other gear, but it almost looks too much like the original Xbox. Then there's the whole pay again for used disks that sucks. :text-link: Link contains a picture and article about the used games.

There are two things I'm going to be watching for:

1) More details on how the separate DVR box works with the new Xbox
2) More details on whether the new Xbox supports Media Center Extender or at least DLNA

It runs what is essentially Windows 8 core so DLNA and MCE should be in the box. The HDMI in and outputs along with the IR output open up intriguing possibilities.

If you have an xbox 360 there's a 2 hour video reveal on xbox live. If you are into skype or fantasy leagues, it looks pretty badass.

There's some game footage and kinect demo... looks like they are trying to replace your dvr... just might happen for me.

I already have one on hold for Nov, I know a guy who knows a guy... lol.

D

If it supports my local media and has DVR capability, I will likely go for it.

Support for WMC was not mentioned, so I wouldn't take it for granted.

From Paul Thurrott's excellent Microsoft site...

:text-link:

Television

In addition to the usual stable of entertainment apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus, and as an alternative to the Xbox 360’s rarely-used Media Center Extender functionality, Xbox One offers cable (and satellite)-based access to live and recorded TV. You connect the console to your cable box using the HDMI passthrough and can then access a nice (and Media Center-esque) program guide, with Favorites and Trending interfaces.

Now the bad news: If you, like me, spent years suffering through the horrible nightmare that was IR-blasting and cable TV connectivity with Media Center, you will be delighted—and by “delighted” I of course mean “not delighted”—that this functionality is absolutely unchanged in the Xbox One. So where the rest of the console is absolutely future-leaning, this bit is a blast from the past. It requires a cable box and can’t directly control your TV signal. At least for now: Maybe a future update will enable IPTV functionality, which would be more usable.

Hmmm....

All discs must be installed to the drive or downloaded to be played. Once a game is installed to the drive it does NOT need to be in the disc tray to be played. (I'm OK with this)

Used games, or games installed on a second console will be charged a usage fee... (no more used games or loaning games to friends without paying a fee... wow!)

D

They said that a separate DVR companion box would be released later to solve that problem. I will probably wait for that. If the damned thing still has media center capability, I would simply set up a PC with a CableCARD tuner as a DVR. That looks like a no-go. Until I see more, I have to say that I will probably stick to my current plan, which is to use a Windows Media Center PC as a DVR and then use software to remove the ads, transcode the shows to MP4 and put them in a folder accessible to Plex Media Server, so I can watch them on my Roku boxes.

Seems Microsoft will not charge fees for used games:
"Will you have to pay a fee for used games?
Despite worries that Microsoft would prohibit or charge a fee to play used games, the company says that won't be the case.
"We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games," Microsoft said.
That’s good news for gamers, but it doesn't completely rule out fees. Here’s the sticky part:
“In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this.”
In other words, game publishers could require extra fees for playing used or traded games, if they so choose. And considering that many game publishers have issues with the used games market (they currently don’t get a cut of those sales), it’s a safe bet that many publishers will take advantage of this to get a piece of the action -- and that could mean higher prices at retail."

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...ways-used-games-fees-more-xbox-164007137.html

Nah... I just dont think there is much excitement for the new Xbox yet.

I'm not a gamer but I am interested in the other media stuff... but at $599 it's not on my radar.

The problem with that is I'm not a computer guy either. I lack the patience, and more importantly, the ability to build a computer. Just the thought of dealing with networking and drivers and plug-ins gives me a stomach ache. I'm my old age I'm much more interested in enjoying media than working on it.

My son is planning on canceling his XBOX Live account. We aren't a pay-to-view family, meaning we only use OTA. So an extension of a cable box is of no use and having to pay Microsoft for xbox live so we could use the Netflix..........deal killer for us. To have to pay Netflix and Microsoft..forget it. Also, since I don't have TWCable service, just Roadrunner for internet, the sports apps are blocked (ESPN, FOX, etc). Also, the price tag is way too much. We'll keep an eye on the Steam box & how it turns out.

Back