• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

XBOX360 transfer memory ?

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
I had to send my son's XBOX360 again for repair, for not reading disc's (have extended warranty) for the 3rd time. Its an old model with an external 250G hard drive. If we wind up & get a new slimline w/250G internal hard drive, is there a way to transfer memory from the old external hard drive to the new console ? We have another old console that still works for now.
Just checked on the repair status & its on hold :
Product has experienced an issue outside of the normal repair process.
Did not send hard drive with console to Warranty.
Thanks

Thanks a bunch Towen7. Now I'll wait & see how this Warranty repair turns out. The extended warr is from Walmart & it states if not repaired, they replace or buy back the console.

If you end up buying a new slim 360 I recommend you go with the cheapest one which only has 4 gigs of memory. You can use the old 250 gig drive. I'll show you a video how to do it if you go that route.
It's very easy.

lulimet said:
If you end up buying a new slim 360 I recommend you go with the cheapest one which only has 4 gigs of memory. You can use the old 250 gig drive. I'll show you a video how to do it if you go that route.
It's very easy.
Lulimet...post the video, may be interested. Can you clear the memory on the external hd as well ? I've got another 60GB external HD that was on our old console we are using now.

Yes, you clear the memory. You just reformat it at the memory option settings.
I'll post the video as soon as I find it.

Okay, questions. The slim console w/250G is $299. The console w/4G is $199. You can buy a 320G HDD for the slim for $129.
For $300 have 250G
For $329 have 324G (4G plus 320G module). Thats 74G's for $30...
Choices.......can't afford a 250G & a 320G module though...

Or buy the 250G and put our 250G HDD in the memory area....... :handgestures-thumbup:

You'll most likely never need more than 100gb of memory unless you download movies in your xbox.

250 gigs should be more than enough for those that don't plan on downloading a ton of HD movies and shows. I don't download anything so I've gotten by with the 4 gig models. That said if the Xbox Live Marketplace gets more compelling than I can see wanting/needing the space.

Well, I just checked his XBOX 250G memory.....only has less than 50G left. It was our understanding that you download the games & when he plays a game, you install disc & play off the memory so you aren't using the optical drive.
Isn"t that the way you are to use the xbox ? If not, playing off the disc, how does the xbox remember where you are in the game ?
Sorry for all these questions. We have had alot of issues with the xbox not reading disc's...our old one went to xbox warranty 2 times (using it right now) & the one we have now is being repaired the 3rd time....all under warranty.
No movies on the xbox, some albums for Rock band etc & a bunch of unfinished games.

You don't need to install the game in your hard drive to play. Just pop the disc in and play. You save the game progress before you turn the xbox off but most games have auto save feature so you don't really need to save it manually.

lulimet said:
You don't need to install the game in your hard drive to play. Just pop the disc in and play. You save the game progress before you turn the xbox off but most games have auto save feature so you don't really need to save it manually.
Thanks, but we have been trying to figure out why the xbox wouldn't read disc's, so I checked the xbox forums on the issue & thought that downloading & playing off memory would solve the issue. But alas......open tray, put in disc, close tray, reading, open tray...........with or without hard drive...brand new games etc..days on end & unit is not hot.........can sit off for days...........same issue. The techs always say send unit in for warranty.

I heard somewhere, maybe here, that the new update has caused some disc read failures on the 360's. Although, I have had two of them that at some point stopped reading discs themselves. One we just shelved, and the other started reading them again after awhile. I believe they sourced the drives from 3 different vendors, and there was in particular that they were having problems with.

Huey said:
I heard somewhere, maybe here, that the new update has caused some disc read failures on the 360's. Although, I have had two of them that at some point stopped reading discs themselves. One we just shelved, and the other started reading them again after awhile. I believe they sourced the drives from 3 different vendors, and there was in particular that they were having problems with.
Yes, there is a flood of new & old xbox's not reading disc's right after this new update.
Our old xbox we shelved because it started not reading discs again (out of warranty, 2 times under warranty) but has no problem now.....even after this update.

Back